Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Neilthefunkee1

yay i got my upgrade!! I didn even hear all the announcements. a friend said it to me. and whats this about upping the 10 to 20?? Have they tapped a bandwidth mine?? They must be rolling in mbs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

so I just got the 20MB line in last week. it was grand for the first few days but lately im getting alot of timeout errors when opening webpages. so im left wondering if this is the internet connection itself or the netgear router they provided. im also using a netgear WiFi usb adapter. anyone having similar problems?

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Blindpew wrote: »
    It has been suggested in another thread that the new 20mb uncapped service is not uncapped at all and that one might be terminated if more than 200gbs is downloaded in a single month. I was wondering if anyone has downloaded more than this fatal amount yet?
    When I rang them about the upgrade on the 30th of June, I asked about the uncapped download limit, the girl I was talking to said its uncapped. There is no limit!
    Im taking her word on that, because in the last week ive downloaded about 40 gigs, thats not including my other 2 housemates download usage!
    Thats on a 10Mb line, so if there was a limit, my guess would be its going to be 100Gb. Ill defo peak that!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

When I rang them about the upgrade on the 30th of June, I asked about the uncapped download limit, the girl I was talking to said its uncapped. There is no limit!
    Im taking her word on that, because in the last week ive downloaded about 40 gigs, thats not including my other 2 housemates download usage!
    Thats on a 10Mb line, so if there was a limit, my guess would be its going to be 100Gb. Ill defo peak that!

Nah, it wouldn't be 100gigs. The previous limit on the high-end packages was 120gigs. I'd say the fair usage policy would allow for at least double that. Although I'd say if you were downloading 200-300 gigs a month every month you'd probably incur their wrath sooner or later.

I really think it would be better if they'd just specify a limit instead of calling the service uncapped when it's not really.

Phlann wrote: »
    Nah, it wouldn't be 100gigs. The previous limit on the high-end packages was 120gigs. I'd say the fair usage policy would allow for at least double that. Although I'd say if you were downloading 200-300 gigs a month every month you'd probably incur their wrath sooner or later.

I really think it would be better if they'd just specify a limit instead of calling the service uncapped when it's not really.
    The former 1Mb line was a 10Gb limit
    2Mb line was a 20Gb limit
    3Mb line was a 30Gb limit
    our old 6Mb line was a 60Gb limit
    the 12Mb line was a 120Gb limit
    It was suggested that there is a 200Gb limit on the 20Mb line
    Why wouldnt the 10Mb line have a 100Gb limit. Its only in keeping with the other limits!

That said, its irrelevant, there is no cap so all is well in the world.

• Advertisement

Oh, the 6meg was 60 gigs? I thought they bumped the 6 and the 12 to 120GB. My mistake.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if there was roughly a 200GB cap on the 20mb connection which they're just referring to as 'unlimited' thinking nobody will ever download that much.

They obviously haven't counted on Blindpew signing up.

I'd like to think it was less cynical than that, though.

If they get on to me about over-usage, im just going to play dumb, at least that way ill be speaking on a UPC customer care level.

Till then, to the internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Phlann wrote: »
    Oh, the 6meg was 60 gigs? I thought they bumped the 6 and the 12 to 120GB. My mistake.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if there was roughly a 200GB cap on the 20mb connection which they're just referring to as 'unlimited' thinking nobody will ever download that much.

They obviously haven't counted on Blindpew signing up.

I'd like to think it was less cynical than that, though.

Well at that speed it would be possible to download 5gb in an hour, roughly adding that could mean 100gb a day. Over a month maybe 3000gb. Granted that's provided you got top speed all the time, but even at half speed its 1500gbs a month. So at half speed 12 hours a day it's 750gb. I'd be happy enough with half speed 12 hours a day but I don't think it would be a very fair usage policy if I wasn't allowed at least that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Well at that speed it would be possible to download 5gb in an hour, roughly adding that could mean 100gb a day. Over a month maybe 3000gb. Granted that's provided you got top speed all the time, but even at half speed its 1500gbs a month. So at half speed 12 hours a day it's 750gb. I'd be happy enough with half speed 12 hours a day but I don't think it would be a very fair usage policy if I wasn't allowed at least that.

:eek:
    I hope to god you are not in my area :eek:

Is anyone else dropping connection every few seconds?

It's a good point though.

They could obviously go after you for maxing out your connection 24 hours a day, but if you're only using half or even a quarter of your bandwidth 12 hours a day you'd still be looking at a massive monthly total.

Could they really justify enforcing the fair usage policy under those circumstances? I wonder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Anyone on the 20mb got any speed test results????

There were planty of them earlier on in the thread.

Here's one just for you though :P .

293508073.png

Nice, many interuptions?

My BB has been rock solid for the last few months , but just today I have been getting disconnects every few seconds. Looks like it may have sorted itself out now though hasn't happened for the last 15 mins.

Great thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 thebromeliad

UPC broadband is unbelievable. This is while I'm downloading a large file.
    293511108.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

My BB has been rock solid for the last few months , but just today I have been getting disconnects every few seconds. Looks like it may have sorted itself out now though hasn't happened for the last 15 mins.
    Hi Christophicus,

Did you stumble on a few UK servers where you were getting a ping of over 100ms due to UPC Routing via Amsterdam then New York when you were playing CoD4?

If they started routing all the Ireland > UK traffic via New York we're fooked! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Wouldn't you literally run out of things to download?
    I am very aware of the massive files out there to download nowadays but still I'd be pushed to do that and I download a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I was just speaking to a member of the sales staff at UPC and they tell me that their broadband is not available in my area. I'm just off James Street in Dublin and find this very odd. She said the cable should be upgraded in the next couple of months. I'm on the Dolphins Barn exchange and get good solid 8Mbs from BT, so I'm better off than lots on here. Are there many of these pockets that UPC can't service I wonder? I'm a television customer of theirs btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I am very aware of the massive files out there to download nowadays but still I'd be pushed to do that and I download a lot.

Yeah i find that aswell, would download quite a bit....im on the 20mb connection now and instead of downloading more i just download the same amount faster!!

The extra upgrade from 12mb -> 20mb has really turned my opinion around about NTL. I was annoyed when they made users sign up for another 12months to get the increase....but for 3+ times the speed its well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I was just speaking to a member of the sales staff at UPC and they tell me that their broadband is not available in my area. I'm just off James Street in Dublin and find this very odd. She said the cable should be upgraded in the next couple of months. I'm on the Dolphins Barn exchange and get good solid 8Mbs from BT, so I'm better off than lots on here. Are there many of these pockets that UPC can't service I wonder? I'm a television customer of theirs btw.

Yes this does happen and they are upgrading all areas at present. Unfortunately time frames are rarely accurate. It could be done tomorrow or it could be two years. :(

Hi Christophicus,

Did you stumble on a few UK servers where you were getting a ping of over 100ms due to UPC Routing via Amsterdam then New York when you were playing CoD4?

If they started routing all the Ireland > UK traffic via New York we're fooked! :(

Actually man, now that you mention it. I did play a match against a Scottish team, everyone else on my team was getting pings of what they should have been getting ( even some of the NA guys were pinging around the same as me ) there was another Irish guy playing and he was pinging fine to the server as was a lad from Montenegro, but mine was well above 100ms.

I didn't really think too much about it, but now that you mention it, that was braught to mind. Have you expearianced it too ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I didn't really think too much about it, but now that you mention it, that was braught to mind. Have you expearianced it too ??
    Last night. Scrimming on a UK server and couldn't figure out the problem... Did a tracert and it reminded me of this thread on this very forum.

I hope it's only going to be for a minority of UK servers... :(

Yup just did a tracert now to the server

here is the IP

It does indeed route through nyc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

After reading illicit007's post I rang them up and used the line that he used and was upgraded immediately!

Hey Cow Moolester I just wanted to say I'm glad that my post helped someone get connected to the faster internets out there.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Yes this does happen and they are upgrading all areas at present. Unfortunately time frames are rarely accurate. It could be done tomorrow or it could be two years. :(

Thanks!
    I seem to remember that we were later in getting the digital television service too :(

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what their rivals come up with in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Do NTL still limit P2P and torrents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Just got my BB fixed in North Kildare. Looks like the upgraded me too...

293630551.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

JPA wrote: »

Not at all, I'd just redownload everything in hd and bluray format. Only joking, you're probably right, after a few months of 3000gb downloading I probably would run out of stuff to get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

What??I just took the test from speedtest.ie

Download speed 14780 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed 1449 Kbps (socket test)
    Quality of service 20 %
    Maximum delay 1219 ms
    Round trip time 12 ms
    Upstream jitter 1.4 ms
    Upstream packet loss 0 %
    Upstream packet order 100 %
    Upstream discards 0 %