Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Do NTL still limit P2P and torrents?
    Don't know if it's a policy change or just a temporary "fix", but since the upgrade my torrents have been flying at around 700-800 kbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

kin9pin wrote: »
    Don't know if it's a policy change or just a temporary "fix", but since the upgrade my torrents have been flying at around 700-800 kbps.

Upload or download speed?My downloads have always maxed the connection but upload always stays around 30-65 kbps :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dean12345

kin9pin wrote: »
    what program do you use to download your torrents? i use utorrent and i only get a maximum of 100-150kbps:eek:.(im on the 20mb package and i no i should be downloading faster)

dean12345 wrote: »
    what program do you use to download your torrents? i use utorrent and i only get a maximum of 100-150kbps:eek:.(im on the 20mb package and i no i should be downloading faster)
    I use utorrent and get 8000-9000 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dean12345

Ian Beale wrote: »
    I use utorrent and get 800-900 too.
    did you have do change any settings on your computer to get that speed??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

getting full speed on utorrent 2.3mb! but this is not a torrent thread! there is a sticky at the top of the forum page!

change ports and try a few! open that port in your firelwall yadaydayda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I use utorrent and get 800-900 too.

Meh - torrents. Why would you settle for 800-900kbps download speeds, when usenet can max out your connection, downloading at around 19500kbps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

benifa wrote: »
    Meh - torrents. Why would you settle for 800-900kbps download speeds, when usenet can max out your connection, downloading at around 19500kbps?

Cause you have to pay for usenet duh...

Cause you have to pay for usenet duh...

Yes, and well worth it imo. It's over 20 times faster than these lads are getting on torrents. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Drapper wrote: »
    getting full speed on utorrent 2.3mb! but this is not a torrent thread! there is a sticky at the top of the forum page!

change ports and try a few! open that port in your firelwall yadaydayda

Bittorrent yadayadayada 20mbit downloads :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I'm with you on that one Benifa! For the sake of a couple of yoyos a month it's well worth it IMO! ;)

I'm on the 10mb package so 9000-11000 is my max so generally my connection does max out so what would be the point in paying for something I don't need :P
    dean12345 wrote: »
    did you have do change any settings on your computer to get that speed??
    I changed the port number to a random port and set the port open in my router and firewall,just make sure at the bottom of utorrent theres a little green tick instead of a yellow triangle,if you need more help go to this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055132322&page=1

I'm on the 10mb package so 900-1100 is my max so generally my connection does max out so what would be the point in paying for something I don't need :P

No mate, if you're on the 10mb speed then 9000-11000kbps is your max, not 900-1100kbps.

900-1100kbps would be correct for a 1mb line speed, not 10mb.

No mate, if you're on the 10mb speed then 9000-11000kbps is your max, not 900-1100kbps.

900-1100kbps would be correct for a 1mb line speed, not 10mb.

Oh sorry i'm getting 9000-11000 then,I mixed kb up with b :D thanks for that benifa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I reset my routes and modem and hey presto, 20mb.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Yes, and well worth it imo. It's over 20 times faster than these lads are getting on torrents. ;)

That's because they're using the wrong sites :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Rapidshare has gone up to 50Gig downloads every five days so people with UPC and a spare €50 should jump on it also!
    Private torrent sites are usually the place to go but I got sick of the 1:1 ratio and switched to RS.

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Rapidshare has gone up to 50Gig downloads every five days so people with UPC and a spare €50 should jump on it also!
    Private torrent sites are usually the place to go but I got sick of the 1:1 ratio and switched to RS.
    Where does it say 50Gigs in 5 days? I know its 50Gigs, but I cant see anything about how many days. I guess ill know what the limit is when i hit it!
    Challenge accepted!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

Aright im ripping down on private torrents LEGAL ONES at 2437kbs bout bloody time too finally UPC takes that leap ahead of all the others .In Amsterdam UPC NTL are testing 150MB to the home over scientific atlantica (cisco) modems which are now being issued to all new irish customers and yes you guessed it they are capable of the docsis 3.0 technology so we are all in for a treat over the next few years.

Traffic shaping is still very heavey if you alert them to high uploads speeds constant from youre line it seems, as after my upgrade my up speed to private tracker was topping 157kbs - that didnt last long lol after a week i got the shaping hammer .
    One thing that bugs me in all of this is that NTL do not have an Orbital or irish based dns server our dns of 89.101.160.4 is either Amsterdam or Switzerland and if you ping anything outside of the NTl enviornment it gets very bad indeed . I called the premium support commended them on the speed upgrades but asked why my ping is so ****ty and that xboxlive sessions are duely affected by this bad ping and dns server being so far away .
    NTL need a dedicated DNS server for each country that would improve things for the hardcore gamers looking to NTL UPC. Speed they provide but good ping they still dont.

The advice i got from the Advanced Tech support was to not use dns 89.101.160.4 on the config console on the 360 but to point it at the gateway being the modem so i asked " but does the modem still have to carry the info to the DNS server in ntl so....................???

even pinging the dns (ping -t 89.101.160.4) seems to fluxuate heavily never a steady ping response.

When i was with eircom all those years ago ping was always in toe with line speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Can you use OpenDNS as a solution?

OpenDNS nearest server is in London
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS#Server_locations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 netstorm

i requested a upgrade from the 3mb to new 20 mb package next day i had full upload speed but the download was only 4 mb , rang ntl they first said wait a couple of days which i did, rang again kept getting booted from 1 rep to another finally got a guy who said he would upgrade me straight away just had to wait half hr or so and reboot modem, guess what still under 4 mb after i rebooted modem rang again today got a woman who said she would do it there and then again told me same wait a a half hr and i should get it and suprise suprise still same speed
    i dont understand how i could get full upload yet only 4mb download and according to my upc page i am still only on 3 mb express
    at this stage if a better option comes along i might just dump ntl

294070738.png

the speed tests never give accurate results as networks at diff times of day are busier than other times and i never see 2000 kbs on speedtest only 10 mb down and about 80 kbs up but if i open my line flaming devices i get that desired look on my face speeeeeeeeeed yummy.

One other important thing for UPc upgrade customers is that you must go to the website www.upc.ie and click the mouse icon for internet you will see first paragraph of text with the word FORM underlined click it fill it out call em up on 1908 and ask to be upgraded and that you have filled out the online request from. 20 mins later restart modem and away

BLissIRL wrote: »
    the speed tests never give accurate results as networks at diff times of day are busier than other times and i never see 2000 kbs on speedtest only 10 mb down and about 80 kbs up but if i open my line flaming devices i get that desired look on my face speeeeeeeeeed yummy.

i know i wont get full 20mb but a big difference from 3.8 to say 18.8

filled out form last week and got a confirmation email in reply as i said i got full upload next day, thats thing i cant understand if i got full upload why only a 1 mb increase in download if nothing at all had changed it would be easier to understand

call the premium support number leave message and they should call you back they always called me back during x-over to faster speeds called em 3 times leaving message they got back 3 times lol.
    have you tested youre actual download speed via private tracker on torent or newsgroup ? . or get a few torrents from lini or sourceforge.net type places and see the actual speed you are being tapped out at ?.

well rang again they said they will give a call back
    will see what happens :confused:
    not used torrents in for a while now will give that a go but still convinced its just 4 mb

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bah, just heard back from them and this won't be available in my area until september. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

If I got their max package could I keep my current phone number and will eircom have any deal with the equipment? I mean if it craps out I won't have to wait months for Eircoms engineers right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

If I got their max package could I keep my current phone number and will eircom have any deal with the equipment? I mean if it craps out I won't have to wait months for Eircoms engineers right?
    Maybe I've misunderstood your post but if you are talking about NTL broadband then Eircom has NOTHING to do with it- upc/ntl use cable for theirs while Eircom use phonelines. They are completely separate networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

rc28 wrote: »
    Maybe I've misunderstood your post but if you are talking about NTL broadband then Eircom has NOTHING to do with it- upc/ntl use cable for theirs while Eircom use phonelines. They are completely separate networks.

Thats what I meant. I was just making sure their phone line was not a resell of eircoms. Thanks for the confirmation. Can I keep my current home phone number?

Advertisement