Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

I got the 20Mb Ultra package today and I'm left pulling my hair out here. The guy who did the installation said the only place he could set it up was behind the TV in the living room (where the cable feed entered the house) whereas the net will mainly be used in the garage room. Still, the laptop would be less than 10 metres away from the router I'd say, although there's a brick wall and a plaster wall in between them. I didn't think that would make much of a difference. Immediately after the install I plugged the laptop directly into the router and did a speed check, and it maxed out at about 15Mb. A good bit less than I though that it would be, but I was content anyway, it was better than the 3Mb I normally get with IrishBB. Anyways, there's a huge problem with it. Even though the signal strength fluctuates between good and excellent, it can't keep a connection for more than a minute before it bombs out and attempts again. And even when it's connected the download speeds barely make 1Mb at the best of times. I've tried it with the built-in wireless card, the USB netgear card, and even connected the USB card to a USB extension cable and moved it towards the door, but get the same results no matter what.

Can anyone help me? I'm cracking up here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What's the speed/connection like when you are beside the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 netstorm

gadge sounds like complete bull to me
    when i had ntl installed i got the cable put in my bedroom the tv socket was downstairs , sounds like the guy wanted to save time by just doing it easy way from your tv socket already installed i would ring ntl and get them out agaiin

I'm 1 metre away from the router now, here's the speed test result:

294220936.png

As you can see the download is about 7-8Mb (crap) while the upload speed is perfect, exactly what it should be at 1.5Mb.

Wtf?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What type of wireless is in your laptop? a, b or g?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Try connect direct using ethernet see if you still have speed problems Gadge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

It says 85 euro for the max package. It that 85 total or do I have to add on vat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Gadge wrote: »
    I'm 1 metre away from the router now, here's the speed test result:

294220936.png

As you can see the download is about 7-8Mb (crap) while the upload speed is perfect, exactly what it should be at 1.5Mb.

Wtf?

You need to disable wireless on your laptop. Then connect your laptop to the modem directly, over ethernet. Take the router out of the equation altogether. Then retest at speedtest.net.

Connection bombed and I just spent the last 15 minutes trying to connect. And I'm still just 1m away from the router. Anyways, speeds are okay when it's plugged straight into the router via ethernet, about 15Mb as I said in my 1st post. But the router's behind the TV in the living room, and my computer desk is in a different room, that's my problem. I'm gonna chance connecting it up through the cable socket in that room tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll be giving Chorus a call.

EDIT Cushion, the wireless chipset in my laptop is the Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG, and the wireless dongle I used was the netgear ABG one I think.

If that's the case then it might be a problem with the wireless on the laptop or the router. Try it with another router and laptop if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

It should work fine in the other room's tv connection point as long as no filter is in place at the tap outside. Did you try changing the channel on the router sometimes this can cause a problem

I just changed from channel 11 to 7, doesn't make any difference unfortunately.

I don't think there's a problem with the laptop, I tried it with the netgear adapter as well as the onboard wifi, and I made sure to disable the ones I wasn't using at the time.

Probably a faulty router so then.

Hopefully. I have one around the house somewhere, I'll have a stab at that tomorrow.

Thanks for the help boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Thats what I meant. I was just making sure their phone line was not a resell of eircoms. Thanks for the confirmation. Can I keep my current home phone number?

I had the option to keep my old number when I switched from BT to UPC 2 months ago, or take a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Can someone tell me if the phone plugs into the modem\router or the tv socket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Scruff wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if the phone plugs into the modem\router or the tv socket?

Modem. It has two phone ports on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

Try no encryption on wifi and if youre lappy has bluetooth 2.0 then kill it its known to interfear with some wifi systems as its radio based also is it the connection to router thats going or connection to modem as well i mean is it the modem that drops or router ? im presuming its the router dropping someone mentioned to try diff radio channels try em all as i have seen cases where other ssid's come up in gaffs and the place is a wash with wifi just a matter of finding a channel with less chatter on it. if all this fials to maintain connection then i have to ask are you behind a gable end with new extension added on ? if so signal booster for router needed or add boosted arieal to netgear. to test get the lone of another DSL modem/router for test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Gadge wrote: »
    I just changed from channel 11 to 7, doesn't make any difference unfortunately.

I don't think there's a problem with the laptop, I tried it with the netgear adapter as well as the onboard wifi, and I made sure to disable the ones I wasn't using at the time.

I saw the same problem as you experienced and it was solved by changing the channel. Try another chanel as there may be more that one nearby wifi network and you might have been unlucky picking an alternate channel begin used by another network. There werer four other networks when I tried it and my second channel change (4) solved the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Not happy at the moment
    294530918.png

I had speeds of 19.6mb for the first couple of days and now its just going down. Look how high my ping is! I can't use torrents and it can take a really long time for pages to load sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Modem. It has two phone ports on it.

Only one of those two work though.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have come across all the problems that Gadge is complaining of using the netgear router that UPC supply. That router is a pile of ****e imo..., I drops the signal for no apparent reason and also it takes an age to pick it back up. When I first set up a wireless connection at home I was using the wgr614 and spent hours upon hours on the phone to netgear. I found that the speeds that I was getting through the router were at least 50% less than what I was getting directly wired to the modem.

Distance made no difference to me, whether I was in the same room as the router or at the opposite end of the house, speeds were still crap. In the end I changed to a linksys wrt54g router and find it excellent. All the troubles I was having disappeared immediately and I now encounter the same d/l speeds on both my wired desktop and wireless laptop.

There was one place in the house where my signal was a little weak so I have since added these and now I have full signal all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've done some testing which indicates that the signal strength from our linksys wrt54g is much lower (we're talking 10 times lower) than the bog standard eircom netopia one I bought for €25.

I've looked on the internet for a solution, but it seems to be specific to the version of router that I'm using and is a design fault. If someone goes for the wrt54g and the coverage is dissapointing, a refund or a change for a different router is the way to go.

Indeed, if you have difficulties with the wifi on the router supplied by UPC, you can use a bog standard netopia router for DSL and plug it in using the ethernet ports. Use the wifi through the netopia:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I filled in the form to upgrade to 3mb yesterday i presume it should be upgraded by tomorrow?

How will this speed increase benefit me btw

I have the PS3 wirelessly connected to the internet and the laptop wirelessly connected as well both work fine. Is it when ill be downloading stuff like movies and songs. Does it speed up how fast the pages load.

All probably silly questions im just bored waiting for my dinner :)

Ps Will it speed up or improve the wifes cooking? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

294540777.png

Buddy, you think you have problems? check out my 20 mbps connection!! Got it installed 3 weeks ago. Fine in the morning but in the evening it is terrible. A (nice) girl in tech support said after a lot of tests, that there was too much conjestion(?) on the line and that I would need to be moved. This,she said, could take 2 weeks. Maybe I'm a cynic, but do you think I'm getting the run around? Connected by ethernet trough a router(direct connection to modem is no different).Get the feeling I should have stuck with Smart.... (p.s. In dublin 1 area,anybody else got the same problem?)

k
    Not happy at the moment
    294530918.png

I had speeds of 19.6mb for the first couple of days and now its just going down. Look how high my ping is! I can't use torrents and it can take a really long time for pages to load sometimes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Those speed tests are not reliable. Try downloading something from heanet such as this file and see how fast it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

stevenmu wrote: »
    Those speed tests are not reliable. Try downloading something from heanet such as this file and see how fast it goes.

Averaging about 80 k/b per second from this link!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

stevenmu wrote: »

I'm averaging 1.5MB which is 12mb ...8mb less than what I'm paying for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

294540777.png

Buddy, you think you have problems? check out my 20 mbps connection!! Got it installed 3 weeks ago. Fine in the morning but in the evening it is terrible. A (nice) girl in tech support said after a lot of tests, that there was too much conjestion(?) on the line and that I would need to be moved. This,she said, could take 2 weeks. Maybe I'm a cynic, but do you think I'm getting the run around? Connected by ethernet trough a router(direct connection to modem is no different).Get the feeling I should have stuck with Smart.... (p.s. In dublin 1 area,anybody else got the same problem?)

Yes, I do have the same problem and I'm borderline Dublin 1 (near Capel street). I just got upgraded to 20Mbps yesterday from 6 so I tried out my speeds from 16:00 to about 22:30... I'm not at home now to post speedtest.net links but it was like this all that time:

Ping of 400 to > 550ms
    Download rates of under 1.5Mbps
    Upload rates of under 0.5Mbps

Tested it again at 5.50 this morning:

Ping 76ms
    Download rate 19Mbps
    Upload rate 1.5Mbps

So yeah, nothing wrong with my equipment setup, but the connection is sh**e throughout the day. Surely this cannot be acceptable? Pay for a premium product and get almost 1/20th of the advertised rates for most of the day? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

294540777.png

k

I'm in dublin 1 too and have the same issue. During the day it's fine however in the evening it slows to a crawl.

Advertisement