Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Just had mine upgraded to 10mb this morning.
    Filled in the form on Wednesday night.

Tried downloading a few torrents and they weren't any faster than before, but I expected it could be the torrents so I tried that file stevenemu suggested from heanet. Getting a solid 1000kb/s from it which is what I expected :)

Hopefully my voip phone (blueface) isn't affected now by my downloading.
    I use to have to stop my downloads when someone was calling me when I had the 3mb package.

btw I'm in D9 (beaumont).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Averaging about 80 k/b per second from this link!!!!:mad:
    I'm averaging 1.5MB which is 12mb ...8mb less than what I'm paying for

That does sound like you both have problems, I tried a few times and was averaging between 2 and 2.2 MB/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

stevenmu wrote: »
    That does sound like you both have problems, I tried a few times and was averaging between 2 and 2.2 MB/s

same here .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

soon you will see what contention means people :P

People are starting to whine already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

strange, i haven't asked for an upgrade or anything and my broadband speed has gone from 2 to 6megs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Downloading from newsgroups is ridicuolous...

Downloaded 100MB last nite in about 15sec....

NTL's tech support is sh*te, but damn is their broandband product sweet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm currently on the 6MB package in D12 so was pleasantly surprised to see this thread and see I'm eligible for a free upgrade to 20MB and no download cap. I filled out the form there just now so should have it in a few days....now where's that 'Download Entire Internet' button?

At the moment though I notice big variations in performance. Here's my speedtest results - how does that look for 6MB?

294847301.png

Do they throttle newsgroup downloads? Sometimes I get great speeds from the usenetmonster servers, but after a while it regularly falls to around 50Kbps. Sometimes when I release and renew my IP address I'm straight back to decent speeds (300Kbps). But yet even at times when I'm only getting 50Kbps from usenet, I can still get good downloads direct from the web (e.g. right now my usenet is at 50Kbps, but I was able to get 655Kbps on that Heanet file stevenmu posted). Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

thewing wrote: »

sure is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

strange, i haven't asked for an upgrade or anything and my broadband speed has gone from 2 to 6megs

There upgrading everyones packages at the moment. Your on the same package as me Broadband Light (2Mb). They've upgraded all of us to 6mb.

You should look into their new broadband packages. You could upgrade to Broadband Value, 3mb but you will be upgraded to 10MB for €20, which is less than what your paying now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

There upgrading everyones packages at the moment. Your on the same package as me Broadband Light (2Mb). They've upgraded all of us to 6mb.

You should look into their new broadband packages. You could upgrade to Broadband Value, 3mb but you will be upgraded to 10MB for €20, which is less than what your paying now.

the thing is from what i understood, any change in package means a new one year contract, and i don't know if i'll still be in the same place in a year. thanks for the info btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

the thing is from what i understood, any change in package means a new one year contract, and i don't know if i'll still be in the same place in a year. thanks for the info btw.

You have to sign to be in a new contract. If you don't agree to anything and just get upgraded, it's not a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

thewing wrote: »

NTL's tech support is sh*te, but damn is their broandband product sweet....

Yup, I just downloaded 260mb from usenet, took 1min 20secs start to finish. Nice. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Got my cable broadband installed today. and i am very pleased with the results as i thought it would not be good because i am at the outer edge of Galway city.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

http://www.speedtest.net/result/294911125.png

294911125.png

Got email to say upgraded to 3mb today did a check wirelessly

That'll do tadhg that'll do:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

huggs2 wrote: »
    Got my cable broadband installed today. and i am very pleased with the results as i thought it would not be good because i am at the outer edge of Galway city.:D

Woah nice!

Wish they would expand their broadband services quickly, particularly in the southeast. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

matrim wrote: »
    I'm in dublin 1 too and have the same issue. During the day it's fine however in the evening it slows to a crawl.

Have you been on to UPC tech support? If enough people complain they may do something......... btw emailing them is a joke(they don't reply)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anyone having issues with certain sites not working?

A torrent site I use will not load and any torrents from that site no longer work in utorrent. PM me if you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dogg

Have you been on to UPC tech support? If enough people complain they may do something......... btw emailing them is a joke(they don't reply)
    Yep, they have huuuuge problem in D1/D8 and surrounding areas. Their technician confirmed it with me.
    Their broadband upstram signal in that area has around 50 dBmV. Should be around 20-30. They are going to change cable or something but it's due at the end of August!!!! That's disgrace that company can leave customers without broadband and without comunicating the problem for so long!!! And still they get money for that crappy service:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

It's a mess throughout the day... these are all from today but notice the timestamps:

294750225.png

294916542.png

294994231.png

20Mbps huh? For how much of the day? And Dogg, I wouldn't believe anything they tell you - the problem must be high contention rates at this stage and I very much doubt it'll be fixed by August or at all. If there was a problem with their equipment in the area, then why do the speeds go back to normal at low-usage hours? That's contention, not a cable problem. I hope you're right, but UPC has not exactly given me any reason to think so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'm getting the 20 meg next wednesday, should be better than the 2 meg eircom even if it's not as great as it's made out to be, i'm in d16

• Advertisement

J-blk wrote: »
    It's a mess throughout the day... these are all from today but notice the timestamps:
    20Mbps huh? For how much of the day? And Dogg, I wouldn't believe anything they tell you - the problem must be high contention rates at this stage and I very much doubt it'll be fixed by August or at all. If there was a problem with their equipment in the area, then why do the speeds go back to normal at low-usage hours? That's contention, not a cable problem. I hope you're right, but UPC has not exactly given me any reason to think so...
    I know they are laying bastards... but it started on my connection the same way. First it was fine during the day. But after a week I started getting speeds 124kb/30kb(!!) for whole day! So wait few days until they'll connect few more users in your area and you will get the same. That's also congestion but a little bit different. They are just getting out of their cables capacity so the noise ratio in signal is to high at some stage (>30-40dB) . After that point everybody is foocked in that area:( And those lazy ba*tards should predict this and start upgrading main cables earlier. Now they are leaving customers with broadband not working in 80% of time in some areas for few months. I am not going to pay next bill for sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Dogg wrote: »
    I know they are laying bastards...
    Maybe they're tired?

lol. (sorry). :p

What part of dublin are you in? It's starting to really piss me off...if they could do 12 meg consistantly it wouldn't be so bad...:(

J-blk wrote: »

294750225.png

294916542.png

294994231.png

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Seriously lads, how accurate are the results from speedtest.net. Cant you just try and download a file from heanet or something and see what your true speeds are then.

Sometimes if I run a test from speedtest.net it might gives me crap results, but if i go to somewhere like heanet or microsoft.com and download a file its comes down at between 1.2 and 1.3MB/ps

What part of dublin are you in? It's starting to really piss me off...if they could do 12 meg consistantly it wouldn't be so bad...:(
    D8. I have problems since May/June. It was getting worse and worse but for last 3 weeks I am using 3G card because I cannot open any webpage on UPC link for 80% of time. And even when download is fine Uplink is always between 3-30kb/s:( That is causing webpages to not open as every server is asking clients while opening webpage what's your IP/country/cookies/etc. And since it's getting so slow response there's a timeout and the connection with server resets.
    UPC: First they told me that it's just my modem's problem. Than technician came and told me that's whole building affected and he will contact me when fixed. Next week he told me that it's a bigger issue they found in this city area and they have to upgrade cables. Because it wasn't working next week I called UPC again and they told me that they are going to fix the problem mid-July. That was UPC. Next day I met "cable guy" from UPC in my building:) He told me that the cables are going to be upgraded mid-August. He explained this whole dB noise ratio - cable problem and that my internet may work for a day and than not work for next couple of days and so on. It's just not going to be stable until they upgrade cables. That pissed me off! I rang 1908 and they confirmed that the problem still exists in the city centre and upgrade is due at the end of August!!! So they already changed dates few times:( That's their customer support! When you call them they say it's just you having problem, reset modem:) They should inform customers about problem in that area. But they are affraid that everybody will stop paying them for a broadband than:)

Dogg wrote: »
    D8. I have problems since May/June. It was getting worse and worse but for last 3 weeks I am using 3G card because I cannot open any webpage on UPC link for 80% of time. And even when download is fine Uplink is always between 3-30kb/s:( That is causing webpages to not open as every server is asking clients while opening webpage what's your IP/country/cookies/etc. And since it's getting so slow response there's a timeout and the connection with server resets.
    UPC: First they told me that it's just my modem's problem. Than technician came and told me that's whole building affected and he will contact me when fixed. Next week he told me that it's a bigger issue they found in this city area and they have to upgrade cables. Because it wasn't working next week I called UPC again and they told me that they are going to fix the problem mid-July. That was UPC. Next day I met "cable guy" from UPC in my building:) He told me that the cables are going to be upgraded mid-August. He explained this whole dB noise ratio - cable problem and that my internet may work for a day and than not work for next couple of days and so on. It's just not going to be stable until they upgrade cables. That pissed me off! I rang 1908 and they confirmed that the problem still exists in the city centre and upgrade is due at the end of August!!! So they already changed dates few times:( That's their customer support! When you call them they say it's just you having problem, reset modem:) They should inform customers about problem in that area. But they are affraid that everybody will stop paying them for a broadband than:)
    Man, if they just told the truth, it would make life so much easier. Well I ain't paying 40 yoyos for this pile of ****e. Reset modem me hairy arse..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

galway upc seems very stable.. doesnt drop different times of the day ike above. always runnin round 17meg these days now

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

295075770.png

I can second that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

All the peeps whinging about speeds during the day speedtest.net server is donated for free in each metroplolitan area and will be busy itslef as the test is probably only a secondary or even tertiary function of the server on which it resides. So using those results as a method of saying my speed is bad is actually wrong.

I too have seen the results fluxuate all over the place from various speedtest sites.

If you use private torrents at any time of the day it will hit full whack down or use newsgroups or download a copy of backtrack 3.0 final and you will see its full speeds.Upload is a differnet story they shape upload to private trackers but not to public. as private trakers are known to promote illegal material they are legally bound to do this.

I have never in 2 yrs seen speeds not reach full whack and im in a built up area in cork.(and i know how many modems are near me A HELL OF A LOT. ;-).)

Trust me slow torrs are due to the usual reasons seeds - public tracker = gay at achieving speeds, And Shaping.

Loads of ways around that but not for this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

BLissIRL wrote: »
    All the peeps whinging about speeds during the day speedtest.net server is donated for free in each metroplolitan area and will be busy itslef as the test is probably only a secondary or even tertiary function of the server on which it resides. So using those results as a method of saying my speed is bad is actually wrong.

I use private torrents. At the times where I get speedtest results of almost 20MBps, my max speeds peak at 2.1MB down. But at the bad times, it can be as low as 200KB/s instead. So just because you don't have a problem, don't come on here to tell us that we are "whinging" and should not complain. I've tried the file downloads too and they massively fluctuate in the same way too, ok? So it's not the speedtest.net results themselves. Even web browsing is slower during those times. And one last thing: I understand all about contention and increased demand on their lines and I don't expect 20Mbps all day long. If I even got 50% of the speed I'm PAYING for during the peak hours, everything would be fine by me. But I don't even get 10% at those times, so yeah, I have a problem with that.

Cahirhennessy, I'm up by Capel street, in the city center - it's considered D7 bordering on D1.

Advertisement