Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

j-blk I couldn't agree more with you. I'm not looking for miracles just a decent, reliable connection. I use private torrents too but I just don't bother with them in the evening(too slow). Even online gaming on the ps3
    can be pretty unplayable because of ping reaching over 500. Anyway,we live in hope....

I'm in Capel Street too(the internet dead zone):)

J-blk wrote: »
    I use private torrents. At the times where I get speedtest results of almost 20MBps, my max speeds peak at 2.1MB down. But at the bad times, it can be as low as 200KB/s instead. So just because you don't have a problem, don't come on here to tell us that we are "whinging" and should not complain. I've tried the file downloads too and they massively fluctuate in the same way too, ok? So it's not the speedtest.net results themselves. Even web browsing is slower during those times. And one last thing: I understand all about contention and increased demand on their lines and I don't expect 20Mbps all day long. If I even got 50% of the speed I'm PAYING for during the peak hours, everything would be fine by me. But I don't even get 10% at those times, so yeah, I have a problem with that.

Cahirhennessy, I'm up by Capel street, in the city center - it's considered D7 bordering on D1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Why even bother coming into a thread saying we are whinging? After paying 40 euro for a 20mb connection and half the time people aren't even getting half that, we have a right to complain.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

His point is that speedtest.net is not realiable for testing your accurate speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

ping rate has gone from 18 on thurs. to 86 this morning , D12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ping has gone up here from 14ms to 64ms.

Also, to stop the b!tching from now on can people download a file off HEAnet.ie and confirm there speed results through that, its more of a real world comparison as, like was said, speedtest.net is not always accurate.

download this file and report your speeds:

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/7.0/7.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

EDIT: I'm getting around 2.1MB/s down in Vista using FF 3.0.1 right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I've got the 10Mb, pulling full speeds, with about 12ms ping to boards

No jitter or lag on VoIP apps either.

I'm getting around 1.2MB /s on the heatnet ISO

295255695.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

getting a good 2.20 MB on that download and i'v had consistant downloads speeds on the plus side of 2MB over the last week .

i was playing some TF2 last night and i had an in game ping of 5ms for most of my games on the server i was on last night , although that went to 11ms every now and then :p . just a shame such a ping is wasted on me :o .

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

Thank you for not flaming me and yes im glad you saw my point.
    Ping is terrible on the network i have stated that in an earlier post and that our DNS server is in netherlands or switzerland - when it gets busy there server is unable to deal with all of our nations web requests while maintaining good ping.
    UPC need localised DNS servers in each country they serve and maybe use a splittunnel scenario off their backbone as it leaves ireland ????

Hense everyones packets upon return would be routed from an interface on backbone in ireland on upc's network greatly reducing ping times.

This is no good having a ping of above 65ms is unheard of on most cable networks. We are in the infancy of our national cable companies capabilities.

UPC have only recently aacuired the chorus network where i am and when i got it first it was fukin terrible constantly breaking down on sat or Sunday id ring em give out fukin hell and within 2 hours an engineers van would appear at the end of the road resetting local repeater to the estate and bang away again i had this trouble for at least 2-3 months during the trial period you know where they give you 6 months cheap i refused to pay until they fixed and guess what 4 months running not even one hang speeds throughout all of this where always full whack.

Contention i can see by posts in here is becoming a major issue in built up areas you must give them a little time to fix it as they have picked up a major piece of broken glass that could kill em (UPC i mean) I have to admint i wouldnt have touched chorus with a barge pole 3 yrs ago but these guys need time to upgrade and already shody network and when they do address issues you should be very happy from then on .

I can recal chorus not getting in touch with peeps for weeks that has all changed .I feel your pain when you genuinely have contention and SNr issues and nothing makes you more mad, i was there too.
    (alot of good peeps in here with great ideas like chaging over the supplied splitter i have gotten them from maplin and changing the one you get free from the CONTRACTOR who calls to your gaff makes a big diff .)

But peeps only posting a speedtest and going wtf is idiotic ( not refering to peeps with serious issues posted in toe)

I am in a large complex style building (still most apartments vacant) and here they had all brand new cables ran in here but my issues did last 3 months until they replaced the repeater station - then aLL tickety boo.

I employed the use of my pvr box to get SNR stats and send to them and i tell them i know technically you are not providing the agreed service so i am not paying you until i see good snr constant. - see how they react to that but you must have a cable signal measuring device be it a Sb5101e tells you the snr on it 192.168.100.1 - in IE browser or pvr with dump logs they ask where they came from just say a friend who is an egineer and is monitoring my situation. (legally they are fooked here)

Go knock on a few doors and then strength in nummbers will prevail thats how i didi it when it went down call up neighbours and all complain at once all refuse to pay at once then they will come running.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

L31mr0d, Did what you said with downloading that file and i get 2224.4kb/s average,peaking at 2391kb/s. There dosent appear to be be much of a problem
    here in Galway.Aso my blueface phone works perfect too on voip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

huggs2 wrote: »
    295075770.png

I can second that:D

ur net destroys mine... i want it for halo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Download this file and report your speeds:

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/7.0/7.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

EDIT: I'm getting around 2.1MB/s down in Vista using FF 3.0.1 right now

62.5Kb/s max at 19:13 on my brilliant 20Mb connection. Like I've already said, it's not just the speedtest.net results I am looking at. Everything goes to cr*p for like half the day at least...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

What's the upstream and downstream power and the SNR according to your modem? (http://192.168.100.1)

Moriarty wrote: »
    What's the upstream and downstream power and the SNR according to your modem? (http://192.168.100.1)

Downstream Receive Power Level : 10.3 dBmV
    Downstream SNR : 40.5 dB
    Upstream transmit Power Level : 50.0 dBmV

What this exactly?
    =>
    Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DoubleU

I must say today is another bad day for NTL/UPC.
    First we had problems with TV reception, the digital box would reset every minute. (Black screen).
    That was sorted at 17.00 when I came back from shopping.

This evening the web is crawling again.
    My speedtest, taken just a minute ago.
    295409698.png
    My upload is even better dan my download.
    This is on a 3MB connection.

Ping to boards.ie 152 ms (average)
    Loading a 4min youtube movie just took me almost 10 min. :mad:
    And no, I don't have any torrents running or anything else that could kill my speed.

Edit: This is in D15

Well it seems to have improved! Went on Xbox Live 3 hours ago and rented out a movie from the Video Marketplace...Within 10 seconds I had 15% of the movie downloaded :) It was ready to play within 2 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

wow i only just realised now that it was upgraded!!! amazing!!

getting 2.5mb/s!!

295485458.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Have you been on to UPC tech support? If enough people complain they may do something......... btw emailing them is a joke(they don't reply)

I called them this morning. The guy said that the UPR I was on had too many people. They were planing a new one and I'd be moved to it when it's ready (in about a week) which should help my speeds in the evening.

Is it possible the router's dropping connections have anything to do with NTL's poor service? I've noticed that my router only drops connection with my PC only at night at peak times. Never in the morning or afternoon

Is it possible the router's dropping connections have anything to do with NTL's poor service? I've noticed that my router only drops connection with my PC only at night at peak times. Never in the morning or afternoon

I don't think so. I have one of the old NTL branded cable modems from them, not a router. This is plugged into an Apple Airport Extreme router and my systems connect to that. However, when the speeds are affected in the afternoon, I tried connecting my MacBook Pro via ethernet to the modem directly and it has no impact on the problem. I think the comments some people have made about either contention or noise on the line in specific areas are probably closer to the truth.

What's a UPR? Same thing as an exchange for DSL lines is?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

matrim wrote: »
    I called them this morning. The guy said that the UPR I was on had too many people. They were planing a new one and I'd be moved to it when it's ready (in about a week) which should help my speeds in the evening.

Its very annoying that they wont give an official contention rate. Its really galling that they can tell you that there are too many people signed up and still they expect their customers to pay the full rates.

I emailed them ages ago asking what their contention rates are - needless to say I am still waiting!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Downstream Receive Power Level : 10.3 dBmV
    Downstream SNR : 40.5 dB
    Upstream transmit Power Level : 50.0 dBmV

What this exactly?
    =>
    Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec

Does anyone know much about these figures? Ive been having intermittent problems with my connection for months and Ive noticed my 'Downstream Receive Power Level' has been decreasing slowly, its now at 0.2dBmV?? That seems very low, should it be low? My SNR is 35.6. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

A downstream receive power of 0.2dB is fine. A SNR of anything over ~26dB is also grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

What's a UPR? Same thing as an exchange for DSL lines is?

Its a uBR and it stand for universal broadband router. Here's an example
    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/20706

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

I've just been upgraded to the 20mb connection by NTL. When I connect my laptop directly to the modem I can get all 20mb.

If i connect wireless with my router I can only get around 7mb.
    I've tried restoring the factory settings and also downloaded new firmware but still can't get full bandwidth over wireless.

My router is a Wireless G Mimo router from Belkin.

Anyone else get limited by the router and managed to fix it?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I filled in the online form to "downgrade" from 6mbps to 10mbps a few days ago.How long should I expect it to take before the change is made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It seems to take a day or two for the upgrade to happen. You also need to reboot your modem for it to take effect so try that every now and then.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Were you on the original 6mb package or were up upgraded from 3 to 6 a couple of weeks ago?

If you were always on the 6mb package, then you did right, however it was the 3mb that you were on then its the new 10mb package that you should be looking for now.

The old packages were

1mb which is now 3mb
    2mb which is now 6mb
    3mb which went to 6mb and its now at 10mg
    6mb which went to 12mb and its now at 20mg

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

VERY IMPORTANT to reboot the modem i was waiting for my speed increase and could nt understand why i was nt getting it until i rang to day and they told me to rebbot it , what a difference 3 mb to 10 happy days and 1. 5 up

• Advertisement

DingDong wrote: »
    Its a uBR and it stand for universal broadband router. Here's an example
    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/20706

Thanks for that, DingDong.

Well, I just hope UPC will be upgrading some of their infrastructure soon. I think some of us are becoming victims of UPC's success, they are connecting more and more people in the area and there is probably too much contention. I've had NTL for a couple of years now and the speeds used to be a lot more consistent than they are now. The fact that a lot of people here also seem to be reporting speeds close to the full 20Mbps most of the day, would indicate the problem is in specific areas (city center being one) rather than everywhere...

Anyway, not much else to do other than wait and see. The main problem is that even if I'm unhappy with UPC in some respects, what's the alternative? I was delighted to dump my phone line and Eircom once and for all when I could get NTL's broadband...

Advertisement