Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

hmm in my mates gaff now waiting for the technician to install this. have the 20mb line myself down the road from here.

hopefully all goes well. the last time the technician was here he could'nt install it as it was raining and he could have slipped(which i can understand).

not the case now no rain as of yet.(saying that might spoil it).

will report back with any info on the installation. my one went smoothly in my own house. lets hope the same for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

DingDong wrote: »
    There is a team of people who work to resolve contention issues. People with the problem aren't forgotten about. Some times it isn't fix as fast as UPC would like but they do work to resolve the problem as fast as possible.

kamin99 where are you living? Does it not still work out cheaper for 4Mb to 9Mb than eircom's equivalent. I know not much of an argument(your not getting what you expected) but some thing to think about.

UPC have had a hell of a battle to modernise the cable infrastructure in Ireland but they are starting to turn a corner and they are still pumping the money in to created a top notch network. If someone said we would see speeds of 20mb largely available in Ireland(at a cheap price) most people would of said not a chance.

I would tend to agree with this argument ,but it is human nature ,you want what you were told you will get,just had the techi visiting me (Malahide) and said what is expected , all is well here it is a network issue ,maybe get resolved in the future.!
    On to UPC now to cancel as i dont think i would be patient enough for that network issue to be resolved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

kamin99 wrote: »
    I would tend to agree with this argument ,but it is human nature ,you want what you were told you will get,just had the techi visiting me (Malahide) and said what is expected , all is well here it is a network issue ,maybe get resolved in the future.!
    On to UPC now to cancel as i dont think i would be patient enough for that network issue to be resolved

I wouldn't change back. Demand UPC drop you to the 10Mb package for no downgrade fee as you're not getting what is expected. If you even drop to the 3Mb package, you'll be paying far less for the same product on Eircom. I know it's annoying not to get what's advertised but you're still better off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Just goin off topic slighty for a sec, was throwing out some old stuff today and came across my old NTL sign up sheet when i first got it i was paying €50 for 1.5meg and to have what i have now (20meg) for cheaper is absolutely fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

had the guys in to install it today and it's not available needs more work done for flock sake

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote: »
    had the guys in to install it today and it's not available needs more work done for flock sake

that sucks to hear mooseJam.

at my mates gaff just got it installed there and its working perfectly. sorry to hear you cant get it yet but hopefully you will get it soon.

getting great speeds once again. have nothing bad to say about ntl yet. except for moosejam not getting his line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Just goin off topic slighty for a sec, was throwing out some old stuff today and came across my old NTL sign up sheet when i first got it i was paying €50 for 1.5meg and to have what i have now (20meg) for cheaper is absolutely fantastic.
    Cable BB has come along way from the early days. At one point cablelink was trialing their version of cable BB, it worked more like satellite using the cable network for the downstream and a phone line for the upstream...... thank god that never took off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Cable BB has come along way from the early days. At one point cablelink was trialing their version of cable BB, it worked more like satellite using the cable network for the downstream and a phone line for the upstream...... thank god that never took off.

That sounds bad :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Just had the 20Mb service installed, but my download seems to only be 10Mb. Upload's fine.

296858401.png

Already pulled the cable on the modem, left it out for a minute and turned it on again. Nothing :(

Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

dregin wrote: »
    Just had the 20Mb service installed, but my download seems to only be 10Mb. Upload's fine.

296858401.png

Already pulled the cable on the modem, left it out for a minute and turned it on again. Nothing :(

Anyone have any ideas?

What kind of speeds do you get downloading this file?
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/TheOpenCD/latest/OpenCD-4.0.iso

• Advertisement

Hehe, steady 1.6MB/s :D

Thanks for puttin my mind at rest, dunno why I didn't think of that before just comparing meh speedtest results to everyone else and oin mad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Col_Loki wrote: »
    What speed of wireless card is on your laptop? If its an older one it might only be capable of 11mbs. Try plugging your laptop directly in and going to www.speedtest.net . Will give you an idea of what the problem is....might want to switch off your wireless while doing the test also.

Its actually a usb adapter im using on my desk top. Its this one http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapters/GWirelessAdapters/WG111.aspx

The speeds are fine when I connect directly to the router. About 18000 kb/s. It must be a problem with the adapter. Anyone else using this adapter and getting full speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

The only thing i don't like about the new speeds is that the ping to the westnet server has increased loads!!

This is the new 20mb: 296669388.png

The old 12mb: 265711100.png

As you can see my ping went from 16 to 69 while doing speedtests to the westnet server.

Hehe, steady 1.6MB/s :D

Thanks for puttin my mind at rest, dunno why I didn't think of that before just comparing meh speedtest results to everyone else and oin mad :P

i get 2.6mb/s downloading that file. looks like there is something up.

in my mates gaff the speedtest.net said it was 10mb line aswell but still downloading that file i was getting 2.6/7 mb/s .

seems strange

cause i live around the corner and i get the perfect 19139kb/s from speedtest.net

Hmmm, I'll give em a buzz in a while if nothing's changed.

Cheers.

[edit]I'm assuming my modem's firmware is the newest:

name: epc2203-E10-5-v202r1262-071203cs.bin
    revision: epc2203-E10-5-v202r1262-071203cs

That look right?
    [/edit]

Firmware Name
    epc2203-E10-5-v202r1262-071203cs.bin
    Software Revision
    epc2203-E10-5-v202r1262-071203cs

looks identical to mine. i think this is the newest yeah

I believe that NTL considered this after stopping the upgrade work. just to stress... thank god that never took off.

Though it would have still been better than dial up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Ok, I rang NTL tech support and they got me to do the speed test directly through the mode, skipping the router. Hey presto. Full speed \o/ Unfortunately, since I apparently bought the router from NTL, they don't support it :(

Anyone else got the netgear wireless router supplied by NTL? My current firmware is V1.0.11_1.0.7 Not sure if that's the problem, but I'm gonna go look for an upgrade.

Thanks again.

Full speed \o/ Unfortunately, since I apparently bought the router from NTL, they don't support it :(

Are you using wireless? Change wireless channel if you are.

Did you buy the modem or get it free? If you bought it and they won't support it. Tell them it's not working (as described) and you want your money back.

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Are you using wireless? Change wireless channel if you are.

Did you buy the modem or get it free? If you bought it and they won't support it. Tell them it's not working (as described) and you want your money back.

I'm connected directly to the router over CAT5. Finally managed to upgrade the router's firmware after ALOT of complaining from it and that fixed the speed issue.... now all that's left is a high pitched buzzing noise coming from the router :(

P.S. NTL tech support told me I bought it and therefore it was my equipment and they wouldn't support it and to talk to netgear.... I nearly threw a wobbly once that sunk in :P "MEE??? BUY A FOCKING NETGEAR???" not likely :) But yeah.... if I could get this noise fixed without having to lose the router in the interim that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I have 20Mb at the moment and can only get 15Mbps the most of it on wireless G despite having full signal. My computer is only in the room next to the living area where the wireless G router is sitting.

The only way to get 20Mpbs is to be on wire as I have tried it. I am considering to downgrade to 10Mb, thinking that no point having 20Mpbs if I can't make full use of it. Anyone has any idea how to improve the wireless speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

mart_max wrote: »
    I have 20Mb at the moment and can only get 15Mbps the most of it on wireless G despite having full signal. My computer is only in the room next to the living area where the wireless G router is sitting.

The only way to get 20Mpbs is to be on wire as I have tried it. I am considering to downgrade to 10Mb, thinking that no point having 20Mpbs if I can't make full use of it. Anyone has any idea how to improve the wireless speed?

Try here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

now all that's left is a high pitched buzzing noise coming from the router :(

if I could get this noise fixed without having to lose the router in the interim that would be great.
    Your getting that high pitched noise too?I've had to put up with it for months (don't use wireless much so wasn't bothered replacing)any info i've dug up about the noise from it suggested the router was actually on the way out and recently the router reboots itself for no reason at all!In other words yours could be heading the same way as mine!Linksy here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Your getting that high pitched noise too?I've had to put up with it for months (don't use wireless much so wasn't bothered replacing)any info i've dug up about the noise from it suggested the router was actually on the way out and recently the router reboots itself for no reason at all!In other words yours could be heading the same way as mine!Linksy here I come.

ye happened with my last netgear router. high pitched noise and then stopped working shortly after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

:D taking all bets! my routers been buzzing for 12 months now lol

It's in my room so there's no way I could sleep with it on let alone sit listening to it all day. Getting it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

Thor wrote: »
    Firmware Name
    epc2203-E10-5-v202r1262-071203cs.bin
    Software Revision
    epc2203-E10-5-v202r1262-071203cs

looks identical to mine. i think this is the newest yeah

Mine is:

Firmware Name epc2203-P10-5-v202r1257-060605.bin
    Firmware Build Time [GMT] Mon Jun 05 10:16:05 2006
    Software Revision epc2203-P10-5-v202r1257-060605

I thought it was automatically updated by UPC?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

MHP wrote: »
    Mine is:

Firmware Name epc2203-P10-5-v202r1257-060605.bin
    Firmware Build Time [GMT] Mon Jun 05 10:16:05 2006
    Software Revision epc2203-P10-5-v202r1257-060605

I thought it was automatically updated by UPC?

As is mine :confused:

Firmware Name
    epc2203-P10-5-v202r1257-060605.bin
    Firmware Build Time
    [GMT] Mon Jun 05 10:16:05 2006
    Software Revision
    epc2203-P10-5-v202r1257-060605

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lord FLashheart

I've read through a lot of the posts on this forum and a couple of others regarding the 20MB UPC BB (UPC BB as a whole) and tbh there's a lot of conflict between peoples opinions of it.

I called UPC this morning and i can get the 20MB connection at my home in Navan (which is great, i immediately thought), i was hoping that somebody in the area might already have it (or the 12MB) and let me know what their experience has been with UPC. I can have the engineer out as early as Monday to install apparently!

I am currently with BT (3MB) and I am on XBox live most evenings but the connection has been patchy (putting it as nicely as possible!) for the last two weeks. Tbh it has ruined my gaming for the last two weeks.
    Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

I will look to ditch SKY and BT for the triple package that UPC are offering (exactly what they want people to do i guess! :rolleyes:)

Thanks! :)

Advertisement