Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

smart has maybe the best pings by far, there good value too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

wtf ntl rang me to say would i like a free upgrade, first i tought they must have read my posts on boards, then tought nah.6mb to a 10 mb no hassle no fuss omg things are looking up, they said the upgrade could take 24 hrs but i just rebooted and bang there she was brilliant, if they got there phone service in gear they would be brilliant.very very happy, never tought id say that about ntl but there you go.

time will tell if ntls backbone can handle are these 20 meg connections!

If it does fair play to them but them but i would be mightally surprised>!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

nuxxx wrote: »
    time will tell if ntls backbone can handle are these 20 meg connections!

Their backhaul will have no problem handling all those 20mb connections, their bachaul is all fibre. The question is will the coax last mile which is shared amongst local users handle it?

I'd say it should be able to, similar UPC cable networks across Europe support higher speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

smart has maybe the best pings by far, there good value too

UPC have done alot of work on their pings recently and aside from some strange routing through New York they are really good for the most part. I don't think Smart are the be all and end all of ping now.

• Advertisement

ntl have ok ping to there first 2nd hop etc but what good is it when your getting routed into america and back again, other than that, very similar ping times to dsl

Eircom have decent pings on 2mb packages and upwards but they still using low interleaving so there not as good as can be

With smart you can request interleaving off , which drops ping times up to 10ms on already a really low ping.. Imo there the best "BIG" ISP in ireland for ping times

Iv tried/seen alot of ISP ping times as im a livid gamer, and nothin i have seen has come close to Smarts.

btw i no theres other fibre ISPS but im talking about the general ones, the others coverage is too small to speak about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

.. as im a livid gamer, and ..

54_boom_headshot.jpg

unreal tournament ftw ;)
    quake
    warsow
    cod

you name it baby iv played it ( prolly too much )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Still havent recieved my 10mb, apparently everytime the operator tries to upgrade me it "Fails"...

I was told this evening to wait 24 hours and call again....

Normally id be shocked, but its ntl after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lord FLashheart

Moriarty wrote: »
    54_boom_headshot.jpg

OMG, i thought my stomach was going to explode i laughed so much at that!..........Sniper Spree! :eek:

So..... shall i trade my 3MB BT line for 20MB UPC with phone package...... going keep SKY for the telly i think.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Ive had trouble with ntl not being able to replace the existing cable coming into the rear of the house, we have anologue tv :mad: .

Right now i have digiweb with a cable coming in through the wall to the front of the house. NTL are "in the process of upgrading" in my area, when they do i'll be looking to get their bb package. I foresee the cable routing to be a problem, would they just run a wire into the front of the house like we have now and leave the existing anologue cable in place for the tv.

I don't fancy running cat5 from down stairs in the sitting room all the way up stairs where all the pc's are (some of which dont have a wireless card) hence me wondering can they bring it in where we have the existing modem from digiweb.

EDIT: 10/20meg connection would be great but no cap even better! 6mb digiweb with 30gig cap :mad: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

ntl have ok ping to there first 2nd hop etc but what good is it when your getting routed into america and back again, other than that, very similar ping times to dsl

Eircom have decent pings on 2mb packages and upwards but they still using low interleaving so there not as good as can be

With smart you can request interleaving off , which drops ping times up to 10ms on already a really low ping.. Imo there the best "BIG" ISP in ireland for ping times

Iv tried/seen alot of ISP ping times as im a livid gamer, and nothin i have seen has come close to Smarts.

btw i no theres other fibre ISPS but im talking about the general ones, the others coverage is too small to speak about

Not that I doubt you Nux, but do you fancy getting on a server some time to compare ?? I'd be interested to see just how much of a difference there actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lord FLashheart

jozi wrote: »
    Ive had trouble with ntl not being able to replace the existing cable coming into the rear of the house, we have anologue tv :mad: .

Right now i have digiweb with a cable coming in through the wall to the front of the house. NTL are "in the process of upgrading" in my area, when they do i'll be looking to get their bb package. I foresee the cable routing to be a problem, would they just run a wire into the front of the house like we have now and leave the existing anologue cable in place for the tv.

I don't fancy running cat5 from down stairs in the sitting room all the way up stairs where all the pc's are (some of which dont have a wireless card) hence me wondering can they bring it in where we have the existing modem from digiweb.

EDIT: 10/20meg connection would be great but no cap even better! 6mb digiweb with 30gig cap :mad: .

Hopefully i haven't missed your point but i mentioned the cabling issue to the sales person (i know, a salesperson, who would say mass just to get a sale!) and she said that i could have the router situated anywhere in the house and they would cable up to it (at no extra cost!!!!!:eek: SKY charged me silly money for extra cabling previously) just let the engineer know exactly what i wanted and where i wanted it to go.
    It all seems too good to be true (probably is then, i hear you say!)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

That sales person is correct.I got the 20meg installed last week and the installer put the connection next to my computer. My tv is in the front room which was a straight drop to my front window some years ago when i got cable in.The installer this time took a connection from the box on the front eveshoot put it all the way through my attic out the back and straight down to where my computer was just inside the wall which he drilled very neatly.When this installer arrived he only wanted to know wher my computer was and he got on with it.Some people here must have got one who wanted to be home early for tea.Just show him where the computer is or where you want the box installed and tell him to get on with it.Dont forget your the customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Ok, so the engineer will put in a 2nd wire for me. So i'll have 2 wires coming into the house from the main wire of their grid meaning i can have the modem and tv in 2 totaly different rooms - great :D. By 2 cables i mean 2 from outside in, not 2 running through the house.

Now to get them to hurry up a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 netstorm

ok as i posted in earlier posts i upgraded to 20 mb ultra but only recieved 4 mb dl speed but upload speed was full 1.5 or just under after a lot of calls over 2 weeks to ntl was finally told it was upgraded yesterday to ultra , i pointed out im still only recieving 4 mb dl after modem reboot
    the woman says it might be your pc as its 4 yrs old (dell 8300) and to get a laptop with a ethernet connection as modem is connected through usb at moment and test it on that
    question fot the i.t pros in forum is this a load of bs and fob off? or could it be the usb connection not enough for 20 mb dl speed?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've heard loads of people with problems connecting to a modem using usb. Try connecting via an ethernet cable and see how it goes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

netstorm wrote: »
    ok as i posted in earlier posts i upgraded to 20 mb ultra but only recieved 4 mb dl speed but upload speed was full 1.5 or just under after a lot of calls over 2 weeks to ntl was finally told it was upgraded yesterday to ultra , i pointed out im still only recieving 4 mb dl after modem reboot
    the woman says it might be your pc as its 4 yrs old (dell 8300) and to get a laptop with a ethernet connection as modem is connected through usb at moment and test it on that
    question fot the i.t pros in forum is this a load of bs and fob off? or could it be the usb connection not enough for 20 mb dl speed?

You can buy an ethernet card for less than 15 euros - worth a try.

tks for reply guys
    yeah going to get a card see what happens but i dont know i get the sinking feeling its not that and its somthing on ntls side of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

The speedtest.net site gives weird results most of the time this one is more consistant....http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dean12345

297882398.png

im on the 20mb package any1 know whats up with upc??
    my upload is good but the download speed is what im worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

dean12345 wrote: »
    297882398.png

im on the 20mb package any1 know whats up with upc??
    my upload is good but the download speed is what im worried about

same here so i cancelled my account 2 days ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Is that when you're directly conncted via cat5 to the cable modem? If not, give that a try first.

297982726.png
    thats more or less my result as well guys just curious was that connected to modem using usb or ethernet cable

and magnet site gives close enough to same results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I had to change the firmware on my wireless router to get past some of the speed problems I experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

Got a call from UPC today over my terrible 20 meg connection. They are sending out an engineer on monday to "resolve the situation". I have a bad feeling this will be a waste of time(for both of us) as I'm sure this won't be fixed from my end. We live,once again, in hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

297823186.png

But, it does vary. I just did the test now from the server again and it gave 6.4Mbit.

And using Limerick:
    299493168.png

I think the Dublin server gets very busy. Pings to Limerick are aroudn 30ms most of the time, but aroudn 70ms to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I just got the upgrade to 20MB. I am getting 1.47MB/s download speed on the heanet ISO file linked earlier in this thread - how does this compare to what 20MB should theoretically be (seems pretty good to me)? Given the erratic history of my connection, I'll do this test at different times during the coming days to get a better idea of true typical performance.

Here's my SpeedTest results, which again seem good to me, thouigh again this time of night is not typical of my normal speed.

299528751.png

Interestingly, I'm not seeing any increase in downloads from usenet using GrabIt - any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Mine's still going strong.. :D

299532221.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Currently Im paying €48 for 3Mb from IBB.

I think I'm going to cave and get 20Mb from UPC for €46. What are the penalties for ditching UPC before the 12 months are up on the contract?

Advertisement