Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 netstorm

299642646.png

finally got dl speed sorted just needed ethernet cable instead of usb :rolleyes:
    though you think the reps might have thought of this before i had to call 12 times:confused:

just on the ping times any idea if these going to remain high as they are ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Checked the site and it says I can get broadband in Dublin 9 alright but when I put in the order I got an email saying that it wasnt available in my area? Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

bombidol wrote: »
    Checked the site and it says I can get broadband in Dublin 9 alright but when I put in the order I got an email saying that it wasnt available in my area? Any ideas?
    Same here, site tells me im ok to go. I called them to check and they haven't upgrade in my area yet (also D9)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

netstorm wrote: »
    299642646.png

finally got dl speed sorted just needed ethernet cable instead of usb :rolleyes:
    though you think the reps might have thought of this before i had to call 12 times:confused:

Speedtest.net has been shown to be an inaccurate site to measure your ping I think, either try the limerick server or there should be a page on your router's home page to ping a site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

yep its very innacurate

best way is to go start->run and type ping.
    In the prompt window type

ping www.boards.ie
    or
    ping www.eircom.net
    ETC.

Rightclick the box, click select all then hit enter and you can post your results. I would imagine boards/eircom etc would be in the 10-15 ms mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 upthecake

finally got dl speed sorted just needed ethernet cable instead of usb rolleyes.gif
    though you think the reps might have thought of this before i had to call 12 timesconfused.gif

Netstorm,

Your last comment is ridiculous as how can a Rep know what setup you have at home ??? If you had changed to Ethernet instead of USB 1
    or google'd speed issue's on USB modem you'd have found thousands of post relating to this issue..... Can i just say from a Tech point of view i'd hate your custom as what you have posted is exactly what all support agents dread.... Maybe you need to learn more about your own setup before expecting everybody else to GUESS !!

Sorry for the rant but some people just touch a nerve !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

totally agree with you.

"How are you connected"
    "by wire"

By wire they would assume ethernet and not usb. Your to blame! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

nuxxx wrote: »
    ..they would assume ethernet and not usb..

lol.. and we all what assume makes out of u and me.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

upthecake wrote: »
    Your last comment is ridiculous as how can a Rep know what setup you have at home ???

Because their job is to help people at home who don't know what USB / Ethernet / Lan mean. It's a couple of easy questions to check things like this. It's called troubleshooting. It's part of the job. I'm technical, I'll check these things before I call, I'll give all the information I can if I need to make a call. If someone says "It's connected by wire" ask what the wire ends look like. Never assume in these cases. You saying you'd hate his custom, that's a good way to ensure you don't get custom.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Because their job is to help people at home who don't know what USB / Ethernet / Lan mean. It's a couple of easy questions to check things like this. It's called troubleshooting. It's part of the job. I'm technical, I'll check these things before I call, I'll give all the information I can if I need to make a call. If someone says "It's connected by wire" ask what the wire ends look like. Never assume in these cases. You saying you'd hate his custom, that's a good way to ensure you don't get custom.

Paul,

Please enlighten us some more with your Technical skills.... lol !!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your last comment is ridiculous as how can a Rep know what setup you have at home ??? If you had changed to Ethernet instead of USB 1
    or google'd speed issue's on USB modem you'd have found thousands of post relating to this issue..... Can i just say from a Tech point of view i'd hate your custom as what you have posted is exactly what all support agents dread.... Maybe you need to learn more about your own setup before expecting everybody else to GUESS !!

Sorry for the rant but some people just touch a nerve !!!!!!!

Given that NTL supply USB and ethernet cables for their cable modems they should have clarified EXACTLY how their equipment was connected.

Additionally NTL should be aware of any restrictions USB connections would place on their speed upgrade

From a support point of view if I was looking at 1st level agents I'd be pissed they didn't do their job right, however I'd be thankful the customer managed to sort it themselfs

Any 1st level tech who assumes its ethernet when the customer says they connect via "a wire" is a feckin ejit especially when USB v Ethernet is a 50/50 chance. the problem itself should have been fixed on the first call or maybe the second as NTL could have confirmed the speed in their cable test tool and then asked the end user to try different connectivity methods (ie: ethernet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

nuxxx wrote: »
    yep its very innacurate

best way is to go start->run and type ping.
    In the prompt window type

ping www.boards.ie
    or
    ping www.eircom.net
    ETC.

Rightclick the box, click select all then hit enter and you can post your results. I would imagine boards/eircom etc would be in the 10-15 ms mark.

Why are mine so high?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=76ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 47ms, Maximum = 76ms, Average = 55ms

C:\Documents and Settings\User>ping www.eircom.net

Pinging home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.138:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 58ms, Maximum = 61ms, Average = 59ms

C:\Documents and Settings\User>
    EDIT: Forgot this was a NTL/UPC thread.
    I'm on Eircon 2Mb, but pings should be smaller anyway shouldn't they?

mickzer.

totally agree with you.

"How are you connected"
    "by wire"

By wire they would assume ethernet and not usb. Your to blame

maybe because i told the dozen reps that i unplugged the usb from modem and pluged it back in
    when asked was there a router i said no its connected diretly to modem but as i said i did say i unpluged usb and reset modem a number of times
    the last rep actually told me it might be my pc to old and try a laptop and after ple here on boards suggested ethernet cable i tried that
    only reason i never did use cable before was i assumed you needed a ethernet card if you using cable that was supplied and as i never asked for 1 when i got my dell 4 yrs ago never bothered to try cable out

Paul,

Please enlighten us some more with your Technical skills.... lol !!!

You don't like being told you're wrong do you. I'll tell you one thing, when people post here about speed questions, I always ask them how they're connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

netstorm wrote: »
    299642646.png

In fairness to netstorm, I think too many people on Boards take it for granted that every other user is as knowledgeable as themselves & that's not always the case.

The average home user who gets Broadband installed for the first time doesn't know the difference between a kettle lead & a toaster :D

Give the poster a break ;)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

lol gadget il take that as a compliment as sorts :D
    i dont work with computers or support neither did i take any classes anything i do know about computers i learned through trial and error and reading forums like this

Paul M, i know exactly who you are and whaqt you do and why you care so much about UPC and give nice shiny examples of Customer Care if you know what i mean.... I love being told i'm wrong as you learn something from this ....:pac:

Keep up the good work there PAULM ;)

Paul M, i know exactly who you are and whaqt you do and why you care so much about UPC and give nice shiny examples of Customer Care if you know what i mean.... I love being told i'm wrong as you learn something from this ....:pac:

I really have no idea what you do mean. Further, I have no idea what that has to do with helping people with their technical problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

bombidol wrote: »

My brother is still living in D9 - and I'm 99% certain they have UPC, will check later........they are in Drumcondra (towards Glasnevin) what area are yourself and Jozi in - I still get tonnes of letters from them to my mams house in Drumcondra offering Broadband.

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Eh, ok, got the basic package in my Girlfriends house. Thats the 3Mb line

300350847.png

Thats a bit quicker then 3Mb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

@Black Night: that's probably the older 3MB package upgraded to 10MBit. 3Mbit was the previous middle package.

Installed on Monday! It certainly not an old package!

BTW, 6mb was the last middle package.
    We asked for the basic package here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Im close to Drumcondra but closer to Phibsboro.

Black Knight be careful as they'll make you pay for what you are using so if you know its a 12mb or similar then they may hit you with a big bill :-(

They also watch these forums so never post you IP address as they can tell what modem you are using and who you are ;)

Black Knight be careful as they'll make you pay for what you are using so if you know its a 12mb or similar then they may hit you with a big bill :-(

But the connection speedtest.net shows is none of the available connections! 3Mb 10Mb and 20Mb are the only connetions available to sign up to.
    If a €30 a month bill comes to their house, ill just ring them up and kick ass. If they say we got the €30 package then thats their fault! We asked for the minimum package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

But the connection speedtest.net shows is none of the available connections! 3Mb 10Mb and 20Mb are the only connetions available to sign up to.
    If a €30 a month bill comes to their house, ill just ring them up and kick ass. If they say we got the €30 package then thats their fault! We asked for the minimum package.
    dont be worrying ive got a ntl bband connection and its 10mb sometimes when i do speed checks it can go as high as 13 mb and as low as 8mb so its swings and round abouts, it stays at a nice 12mb most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

does anybody know if the ntl 20 meg has a cap ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

MooseJam wrote: »
    does anybody know if the ntl 20 meg has a cap ?

No cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

coola boola, it'll be good not to have to worry bout it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

My knowledge of broadband and bband speeds is good, but not brilliant, so I need some advice!

I have NTL Broadband Express, 10MB. However when I test it on speedtest.net, it says my download speed is 2958kb/s and upload speed is 294 kb/s. That seems really low to me... is there something wrong?

I use a wireless router (Netgear) - could that be partially responsible for the massive difference in download speed?

I've just ordered NTL 20mb broadband... I don't want it to be a waste of money if the actual download speed is gonig to show up at a third of what it should be :confused:

Advertisement