Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you are trying to establish the speed you are getting you should do it when connected by ethernet cable to the router or modem.

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

While dub45 says is true, you still should be getting near a 10000Kb download! Thats what i get on mine, on the wireless, using a netgear router!

Have you reset your router since the start of July? Might give you the new speeds... fingers crossed. Its that or ring their amazing customer care!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

i have upc 20mb aswell and when i used it on wireless i was only gettin 5mb download but the full upload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Re: Wireless use.

WiFi with encryption will have a significant speed penalty. Depending on WEP or WPA and also electrical interference, you could expect anything from 30% to even 80% speed loss from your rated bandwidth. 30% of a3MB line is a lot less than 30% of a 20MBit line, so it's more noticeable as speeds get higher.

To actually test the bandwidth speed as accurately as you can from home, use Ethernet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I'm having the same problem - and according to Netgear forums it's nothing to do with the encyption - it's to do with the Netgear (WGR614)'s "Wan to Lan throughput" which seemingly is limited to 10meg.

I connected my pc to the netgear router via ethernet and still could not get anything past 6meg though - this is since the upgrade to 20meg - yet when I was on the NTL 12meg I was getting approx 9meg from the wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Well I would say to turn off encryption and see what speed you get, then turn it back on and compare. Also, you could change wireless channels and see if it makes a difference to speed due to interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

While dub45 says is true, you still should be getting near a 10000Kb download! Thats what i get on mine, on the wireless, using a netgear router!

Have you reset your router since the start of July? Might give you the new speeds... fingers crossed. Its that or ring their amazing customer care!
    i reset my router and since then it wont work lol, tried there amazing cc and sorry could not understand what they were saying it was based in india, now while they did ring me back it was no use, yessir wouten weebut ok yes ok now mammual yessir ok and this went on for 10 minutes, finally got install cd in post, will load and try connect signal 99% but just wont connect to pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Anyone here using a VOIP phone on NTL broadband. What's the quality like and can you recommend one to me?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

almanu wrote: »
    i reset my router and since then it wont work lol, tried there amazing cc and sorry could not understand what they were saying it was based in india, now while they did ring me back it was no use, yessir wouten weebut ok yes ok now mammual yessir ok and this went on for 10 minutes, finally got install cd in post, will load and try connect signal 99% but just wont connect to pc.

Indian support can be frustrating for people but no need to make fun,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

silvine wrote: »
    Anyone here using a VOIP phone on NTL broadband. What's the quality like and can you recommend one to me?

Quality is fine, there's a good few people who have been using VoIP on NTL with the likes of blueface for years and report very few problems.

A router with QOS can make things a little easier when it comes to running other things at the same time as phone calls over VoIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I've the Netgear router NTL supply. I take it that should do the job then? Can I get a phone and use my Skype account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I use Blueface with NTL, have done for years. It's absolutely fine and any quality issues (which are few) are worth the money saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Cabaal wrote: »
    Indian support can be frustrating for people but no need to make fun,
    alltogeter 4 hours on the phone to an american company in india speaking to a person that cant speak english i think im entitled to make as much fun as i like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

I've the Netgear router NTL supply. I take it that should do the job then? Can I get a phone and use my Skype account?

I use a dualphone 3088 with my UPC broadband. I find skype calls to be excellent quality and the beauty behind the dualphone is that you don't need your pc to be on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Atrocious.
    I've pretty much given up on it- and use a good old landline to call the US/South Africa and Portugal on a weekly basis (pesky family living all over the place :))

Quality is erratic as hell- can be perfect- can also start off perfectly and deteriorate without any reason whatsoever to the point that you have to terminate and start again.

Video conferencing is not much better (can be perfect quality even on the wireless connection- but can also be a complete and utter waste of time even hardwired.

UPC say that its to do with contention ratio (along with a comment about "an unacceptable level of noise on the line- which is why we are unable to supply you with digital tv services). So- I'm supposed to have an 8Mb bb connection- which averages 2-3Mb on a good day with 256k upload.......

Appalling.....

If you bitch at them they'll probably knock a month or two off your bill- not fix the problem (they are advising me in any case that my problem is unfixable).

They did whack one of those decent new US-Robotics modems out to me though tbh- which is a definitie improvement- but service is still too erratic to have to rely on........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I use voip quite a lot over my ntl connection with no problems at all.

almanu wrote: »
    alltogeter 4 hours on the phone to an american company in india speaking to a person that cant speak english i think im entitled to make as much fun as i like.

Believe what you want but step over the line and you'll be warned or banned
    Just a friendly warning, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I find Blueface works excellently over UPC. I'd never go back to an Eircon line again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I find Blueface works excellently over UPC. I'd never go back to an Eircon line again.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

paulm17781 wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 upthecake

My VoIP works very well and so does me ma's...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Also a new user of BlueFace on a newly installed UPC 20Meg connection & actually think the quality so far has been equal or better than my regular Eircom landline.

I'm still only new to all this VoIP & cable broadband so I'll be testing over the next few weeks to see how it goes & if all goes well, I'll get my landline number ported to Blueface & say goodbye to Eircom line rental!

BlueFace have been excellent in my dealings with them so far - very quick to process my initial order, setup my account, good prompt communication via email etc - can't recommend them highly enough (I'm not in any way affliated with the company)

I'm in the Celbridge area. Time will tell if my new VoIP setup is as robust & reliable as its been so far but all indicators are good at this point -its exceeded my expectations & those I've spoken with on the phone had no idea I was on a VoIP line until I told them etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

smccarrick wrote: »
    Atrocious.
    I've pretty much given up on it- and use a good old landline to call the US/South Africa and Portugal on a weekly basis (pesky family living all over the place :))

Quality is erratic as hell- can be perfect- can also start off perfectly and deteriorate without any reason whatsoever to the point that you have to terminate and start again.

Have you set up QOS on your router? I had audio problems until I set it up for my voip line. While I have a freespeech account now, I think the blueface A/c I had previously had much better sound quality.

Regarding speeds from the Netgear Wifi Router on the 20mb NTL service..

I mentioned before that I was getting slow speeds from this router using Windows direct download but FULL speed using "Internet download manager".

I found a good file to test the issue with - and doing a normal "right click save as" download I'm getting 350kbs whereas with the download manager I got 2.1mbs - 6 times faster.

the website is http://vhost2.hansenet.de/ - and the file is called
    "short video clip Bundesliga-Manager Video (19168352 bytes). "
    (when downloading right click and save target as or it will just try to play the video).

Would anyone using NTL 20mb with the wireless Netgear please try the same test and report back - I am assuming (hoping) that this problem is across the board(s)!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

podgeandrodge- some sites will rate limit individual connections (ie. each "download" or refresh of the web page) to save themselves on bandwidth usage and give more people good connectivity to the site. It's not unheard of to see downloads going at no more than 100-150kbytes/sec.

Thankfully this is becoming less of a problem as site operators realise that broadband speeds are increasing and increase their own bandwidth.

I've seen 2.3MB/sec downloads over the netgear wgr614 from a single http connection with a normal firefox download on UPC quite regularly since the upgrade.

Hi Moriarty

Yeah, I should have said that if I connect to the modem directly without the router I get the full 2.1mb speed off most downloads including the link i mentioned - it's only direct downloads via the router that are slow - unless i use the download manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Regarding speeds from the Netgear Wifi Router on the 20mb NTL service..

I mentioned before that I was getting slow speeds from this router using Windows direct download but FULL speed using "Internet download manager".

I found a good file to test the issue with - and doing a normal "right click save as" download I'm getting 350kbs whereas with the download manager I got 2.1mbs - 6 times faster.

the website is http://vhost2.hansenet.de/ - and the file is called
    "short video clip Bundesliga-Manager Video (19168352 bytes). "
    (when downloading right click and save target as or it will just try to play the video).

Would anyone using NTL 20mb with the wireless Netgear please try the same test and report back - I am assuming (hoping) that this problem is across the board(s)!"

You're best bet for testing download is to use heanet. Try this file ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-DE.iso
    I was getting between 1.9 and 2.1Mb when downloading it during the day yesterday. I still have to test my evening downloads again.

matrim wrote: »
    You're best bet for testing download is to use heanet. Try this file ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-DE.iso
    I was getting between 1.9 and 2.1Mb when downloading it during the day yesterday. I still have to test my evening downloads again.

hi, thanks. was that through the netgear wireless router and a direct download?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

guil07 wrote: »

What's the name of the download manager you used?
    Thanks.

Advertisement