Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I know what you mean, I rang them about three times to make sure!

I'm in Dublin 2, by the way, practically in the middle of the capital city and I can't get it... I wouldn't get your hopes up...

If it was just going through the phone lines it wouldn't be a problem but my understanding is that it's cable so while they might be operating in a specific area they almost certainly won't have 100% coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

As in, if you DL 1,000gb in a month the stop you or something.:p

Can't wait.:D

hehe
    There is only so long that you can keep downloading that much in a month.

Even maintaining 300/400gigs every month is tough. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Shiny wrote: »
    hehe
    There is only so long that you can keep downloading that much in a month.

Even maintaining 300/400gigs every month is tough. :rolleyes:

You say it as though its a goal of yours :p ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

So what's the deal with people who signed up via the form on the UPC site? Did you get a new contract or anything? I filled out the form a couple of weeks ago, but got no emails or any other communication from them. My speeds are still at 6MB in Dublin 1 so nothing so far... If they upgrade me to 10MB anyway in the next few weeks, I assume there is no new contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I'm on the 1mb with chorus/upc

I presume the 1mb wil be increased to 3mb

Im paying 20euro a month will that increase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

UPC are rolling it out well though.

Down here in Limerick Chorus used to only have 30% of the city cabled.

In the couple of years that UPC took over though, they've gotten that up to about 80%!
    And that includes switching all the old network for the new one.

My guess is that after all the cities are done, the big towns will be next.
    Already some like Clonmel have it.

Then the medium towns.

Doubt that they'll get around to the smaller towns for a long time though.
    Then again, Eircom haven't in all the years they've been around.
    Judging by the example of cable companies in other countrys they will never get to smaller towns, its just not in the business model of cable companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

yayamark wrote: »
    I'm on the 1mb with chorus/upc

I presume the 1mb wil be increased to 3mb

Im paying 20euro a month will that increase?

I don't think so. Should be a free upgrade to 3MB :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

nice, wont know myself with internet 3 times faster:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭scotsmarc

Still no upgrade here still running 3mb:mad:in D2 when will they upgrade ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

scotsmarc wrote: »
    Still no upgrade here still running 3mb:mad:in D2 when will they upgrade ?

Have you filled out the online form to avail of the upgrade to 6mg. The 10mg and 20mg are not due until after the 1st of July sometime.

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Heres what ive read.

Basically, no price changes but line changes. E30 still gets me a 6Mb to 10Mb upgrade
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/10912/comms/upc-announces-20mbps-broadband-for-40-a-month

Best line ever!

"we are removing our download caps on both the 10Mbps and 20Mbps services."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Heres what ive read.

Basically, no price changes but line changes. E30 still gets me a 6Mb to 10Mb upgrade
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/10912/comms/upc-announces-20mbps-broadband-for-40-a-month

“From July, all new UPC customers who sign up for our €40 service will receive a market-leading downstream of 20Mbps,” - what about customers who signed up for the €40 service before July, and are currently getting 12mbps - have we missed the boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

benifa wrote: »
    “From July, all new UPC customers who sign up for our €40 service will receive a market-leading downstream of 20Mbps,” - what about customers who signed up for the €40 service before July, and are currently getting 12mbps - have we missed the boat?

According to a poster a few pages back we will still get it. That was my fear too.

Dont say that! They might be listening!

Id be pretty pissed if that was the case. I signed up at the end of april. If ive missed out on a limitless cap at a better line by 2 months.....:mad::mad::mad:

highcastle wrote: »
    I think we should stop getting on the beat the UPC badwagon right now, the company has in the space of a month tripled mine and yours connections for absolutely nothing? Us Irish are renowned whingers but even we can say fair play for this.

If they'd sort out the customer care then people wouldn't hate them. Their products have always been good, especially with broadband. It is their customer care that has always been diabolical and this needs to change for people to start to see them in a new light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I rang them today about signing up for the 12mb package, and was told from tomorrow it's going to be 20mb.
    I've got the engineer coming out on Wednesday to hook it up :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Wow, got the 12 meg in last week and now and upgrade to 20 meg. To think I used to pay 80 bucks a month for 3 meg on eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

So, can somebody please answer this:

I upgraded from 3Mb to 6Mb last week by filling the online form. Am I now stuck on 6Mb or will I be upgraded to 10Mb automatically? If it is the latter, when will this upgrade occur?

Thank you in advance!

• Advertisement

A poster 2 pages back said he confirmed all users were being upgraded.

Excellent! And when will this happen? Tomorrow (1st July)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Excellent! And when will this happen? Tomorrow (1st July)?

They are saying it will begin on July the 1st, might mean it will take a couple of weeks before everyone is upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

GreenHell wrote: »
    Wow, got the 12 meg in last week and now and upgrade to 20 meg. To think I used to pay 80 bucks a month for 3 meg on eircom.

I don't know how anyone could justify staying with eircom If UPC BB is available to them now. It look so over price compared to UPC now. It wasn't so long ago some boards members thought UPC would only follow eircom and 20meg download speed was something we wouldn't see for years.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55163664&postcount=26

Found the form to fill out after ringing them up.

The form seems to say i upgrade from 6mb to 12mb. Is this the unlimited cap or what?
    Really should of asked more questions.

Heres the form
    http://www.upc.ie/contact/upgradebroadband/

Edit. No mentioning of a 20Mb line on the upgrade page

Just realised, thats the old upgrade.
    "We will contact you in June to confirm your broadband package has been updated. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

The website won't change till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

DingDong wrote: »
    The website won't change till tomorrow.

When i rang them up the man on ze phone said i can fill out the form online on www.upc.ie
    I asked is it obvious where the form is, he said yes. Liar liar pants on fire!

Now. As said, tomorrow we can all upgrade with the form online. It might take a few weeks to get through them all because everyone wants it and they cant get through them all as quickly as we would like.

It is as said, 3Mb, 10Mb, and 20Mb line upgrades.
    And the 10Mb and 20Mb are unlimited downloads. No cap!
    It doesnt affect the price of the contract, but the contract is renewed when the upgrade is completed. ie, 1 more year.

Thats what I got off the lovely wee lass from customer service. Very helpful, very clear. No problems.

Will be keeping an eye on the UPC website tomorrow then!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Will the lucky feckers who are upgraded tomorrow make sure to come back and post speed tests etc? Be interested to see if you're getting the full speed.

Advertisement