Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

well i just got the 6mb version installed this very morning...
    heres hoping for 10mb in the coming days
    or my plan will be for nothing lol.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Well, with the 6Mb/512Kb I'm getting 5,900kbps/490kbps so I'm hoping it will be as close to the advertised speeds when I get upgraded to 10Mb!

Will post the results once upgraded sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Im delighted just got a letter from UPC saying ill be upgraded for bb in the next 12 weeks... finally i have hope of getting off irishbroadband lol... 20mb sounds great woooohooooooooooo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

The reason I stayed with Eircom for so long was their ping speeds. I'm an avid gamer so the download cap (or lack there of), is of no interest to me. With Eircom, I can ping the Multiplay gaming servers in London anywhere between 19-22 ms at peak times. The last I heard of UPC was that they were peering over in Holland so the ping times to the UK were 60+ms. Can anyone do a ping test to game servers in the UK during the busy times and post up the results?

Also do UPC throttle downloads?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 davidh99

So I wonder whats going to happen to my connection?
    Currently paying €25 per month for a 2MB connection which hasn't existed (the tariff) according to their website for many months
    Will I get doubled to 4MB for my €25?
    OR
    Will U I need to downgrade to €20 per month and get 3MB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Skittle wrote: »

Nope. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/mickfarr/untitled.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

AntiVirus wrote: »

I really don't think you can say that for definite for everyone considering there is a stickied thread at the top of this forum discussing the opinion of some people that their torrents are bing throttled.

I really don't think you can say that for definite considering there is a stickied thread at the top of this forum discussing the opinion that their torrents are being throttled.

There having problems with Public torrents anyone on private torrents gets there max speed on well seeded torrents. I can get the full speed any time of the day.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I don't use torrents myself, but my download speed with usenet is around 11.5mbps (I have the 12mb connection). :D

The reason I stayed with Eircom for so long was their ping speeds. I'm an avid gamer so the download cap (or lack there of), is of no interest to me. With Eircom, I can ping the Multiplay gaming servers in London anywhere between 19-22 ms at peak times. The last I heard of UPC was that they were peering over in Holland so the ping times to the UK were 60+ms. Can anyone do a ping test to game servers in the UK during the busy times and post up the results?

I'm in the same boat Skittle! Don't really care about speeds as long as ping is low and rock steady! That's why I was worried when I moved into this new house that had NTL... Turns out the ping with NTL is awesome! But that doesn't mean it will be great where you are... I'm lucky to have moved to a new housing estate with brand new NTL cables installed!

Anyway, give me a few IPs you want me to ping and I'll ping them between 6pm and 7pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

davidh99 wrote: »
    So I wonder whats going to happen to my connection?
    Currently paying €25 per month for a 2MB connection which hasn't existed (the tariff) according to their website for many months
    Will I get doubled to 4MB for my €25?
    OR
    Will U I need to downgrade to €20 per month and get 3MB?

You'll need to change package. The 2MB is going to 27.50 but it is no longer offered. 3Mb will be cheaper once the upgrades happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

paulm17781 wrote: »
    You'll need to change package. The 2MB is going to 27.50 but it is no longer offered. 3Mb will be cheaper once the upgrades happen.

Also for your extra 2.50 your speed jump to 6Mb or you can reduce your service to 3Mb and save a fiver . This package is only open to people currently on the 2Mb service .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I'd doubt that very much.

LOL, oh ye of little faith.

I hate to say I told ya so. but in this instance......

AntiVirus you got OWNED by UPC! :p

KevIRL wrote: »
    LOL, oh ye of little faith.

I hate to say I told ya so. but in this instance......

:o

AntiVirus you got OWNED by UPC! :p

To be honest, in this instance I don't mind at all. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Anyone know if you order 6MB NTL will it be updated to 10MB ?

I know probably a stupid question, if the order was tonight if wont go through until tomorrow.

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyone know if you order 6MB NTL will it be updated to 10MB ?

I know probably a stupid question, if the order was tonight if wont go through until tomorrow.
    relax, order it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

relax, order it tomorrow.

:) i know but i was trying to place the order now and it wont accept my sort code which i thought was strange.

I'll wait until tomorrow and order so, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

I havent even been upgraded to the 12mb yet.. Im on the top package but still on 6mb.. will this new upgrade to 20mb be applied to everyone or will i have to phone them up and sign a new contract?

any help would be mucho apreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

This is brilliant in fairness to UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

UPC are actually being really pro-active atm. Both in terms of speed and pings.

I used to ping about between 50 and 70 ms to my UK CoD4 server ( in game ping ). Now I am getting a fairly steady 40 Ms ( touchwood ) although that has probably just jinxed it :confused: . My server is with Gameservers.com and is based in london. Just played a match on another server in London and I was getting much the same ping. I am getting a better ping to UK servers then my clanmate who is actually living in England ( granted he does have a ****e internet connection, but its still a deadly acheivment ) UPC have been looking into their routing and it seems to have payed off.

For Irish and UK servers they are not routing through Holland anymore which is really great news, and the main other place in Europe for servers is holland and germany so the routing does not adversley affect ping too much there ;) .

So in short, as Steffano said ping times to England will pretty much match or beat Eircom.

I am looking forward to see if we get upgraded on the first or are made wait weeks.

Yeah I have to say that (my) NTL pings are brilliant! It's really a rock-steady connection for gaming and, like Christophicus, when I play CoD4 on UK servers my ping is around 40ms and I'm delighted with that! :D
    I am looking forward to see if we get upgraded on the first or are made wait weeks.
    Well, I filled the form online just a few minutes ago and I'm hoping the upgrade will be as fast as the last one (i.e. less than 24 hours)! *fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I rebooted my modem at midnight last night and my connection has been down since. :mad:

Anyone else having issues with it?

EDIT: upc.ie has been updated with new speeds / packages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I rebooted my modem at midnight last night and my connection has been down since. :mad:

Anyone else having issues with it?

same here i rebooted this morn and i seem to have gone back to 6mb although upload is still fine

My connection, 6Mb express, is going to be upgraded to a 10Mb express automatically according to the site.

Anyone know how long it takes to upgrade automatically?

Hmmm.. UPC have updated their website to the new 3mb, 10mb & 20mb offerings..
    https://www.upc.ie/internet/

But I'm still getting 12mbps.. :(

290580047.png

Ok, so it is 10am on the day the 20mb speeds go live. But come on, UPC, I need to show Eamonn in Dungarvan that I too can have 20mb bb!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adebisi

Just rebooted there, was on 6MB, now getting close to 10MB.

Regarding the upgrades, here's the lowdown

1MB - 3MB - no price increase, 20GB per month D/L
    2MB - 6MB - e25 p/m to e27.50, dunno what the D/L is
    6MB - 10Mb - no price increase, unlimited d/l's
    12MB - 20MB - no price increase, unlimited d/l

Everyone on 6MB or 12Mb will automatically be upgraded from July 1st, irregardless when you signed up to the package.

If you are still getting the old 3MB & 6Mb speeds and never upgraded to the 6MB & 12MB speeds, you need to request an upgrade on the website.

Think thats it. Happy days!

benifa wrote: »
    Hmmm.. UPC have updated their website to the new 3mb, 10mb & 20mb offerings..
    https://www.upc.ie/internet/

But I'm still getting 12mbps.. :(

290580047.png

Ok, so it is 10am on the day the 20mb speeds go live. But come on, UPC, I need to show Eamonn in Dungarvan that I too can have 20mb bb!! :D

Ok, so I just rebooted my modem, as per adebisi's post. I seem to have the new speed, but it's quite short of 20mb, considering I was getting 12342kbps on the 12mb service.. :(

290584487.png

What do you reckon?

• Advertisement

Its a start. Id say check it later on, a few times. And if your not getting near your 20Mb, give em a shout and shout about... it

Advertisement