Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

benifa wrote: »
    Ok, so I just rebooted my modem, as per adebisi's post. I seem to have the new speed, but it's quite short of 20mb, considering I was getting 12342kbps on the 12mb service.. :(

290584487.png

What do you reckon?
    I reckon I'd be happy with that! Just think about the poor guys that are still waiting for Eircom's pathetic upgrade to 7.6Mb! And think about the really poor guys still on 56k! Nobody should be disappointed with a 16Mb connection for €40 EUR/month in the Republic of Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

rebooted again there n now getting over 15mb with 1.5 up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

It seems it depends a lot on which server you test with at speedtest.net. I'm in Waterford, so I usually test using the Limerick server. Seems though, that perhaps it's not up to it - look what Maidenhead gives me:

290588120.png

(I've tested this a few times).

Just to add - my average download speed with usenet is now 18.72mbps. I'm happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

just got 6mb installed yesterday morning and ive just rebooted modem and voila 10mb...nice one ntl..
    290592330.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

So for €11 less than what i'm currently paying with BT i can go from 3mb to 10mb, get unlimited downloads, digital tv, DVR, Free local and national landline calls at all times??
    Or for €4 more get all the above but go from 3mb to 20mb??
    :eek:
    Seems pretty good to me. I think i'll be jumping ship from BT!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

290593422.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

joolsveer wrote: »
    290593422.png

Gettting same speeds here in Waterford. Well done UPC :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lucky feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

290593422.png

Lucky b*stard! That's extremely good ping too and as close to 20mb as you can get. I hate being stuck with Eircom:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

is the wireless router they provide a wireless G or N router? Also will any phone work? does it have to be plugged into the router too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

just restarted the modem and ran the speed test and i'll have to get onto them about my missing 2 meg :p

290599682.png :D

Clover wrote: »
    just restarted the modem and ran the speed test and i'll have to get onto them about my missing 2 meg :p
    And don't forget the missing 0.1Mb Upload!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

290593422.png
    Clover wrote: »

290599682.png :D

Interesting difference in both your ping times too considering it's over cable?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Rebooted my six meg to achieve a nice

290604374.png

Happy days, no more complaining about UPC I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

They are Wireless G. I didn't think the Wireless N connection had been confirmed yet??

290607294.png

Hmmmmmm, thats not a very convincing 20Mb :/ . Granted I am on wireless atm, I reserve my judgement untill I get a wired test. Good too see I have been upgraded though ( so to speak :p) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sw33ts

w00t mine is 20mb heheheh

i much prefer the upload increase do, its sad they didn't go to 2mb up..
    but well done upc now we finaly have a isp that i can stick with forever!

290606199.png

That speedtest website is never right im getting a full 20mb dl from
    a fxp site as i wright this :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Mine had best be working when I get home tonight. I was down after a reboot from midnight until 8.45 this morning. I was starting to get faith in UPC again but if I have to go through the "You need a technician" nonsense again, I won't be too happy.

Na man , it seems as though the upgrade is just happening. I did not have to sign up on the site or over the phone or anything this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

I'm thinking of hopping on the 20mb bandwagon
    Is the wireless router provided any good?

Na man , it seems as though the upgrade is just happening. I did not have to sign up on the site or over the phone or anything this time.

It was just after midnight when I rebooted my modem and have been unable to get a connection since. I'm hoping whatever they're doing today will rectify it, the error was that it couldn't contact the DHCP server. I'm hoping it is upgrade related and sorted when I get home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'm on the 6mg package here in Waterford, Before reboot
    290610898.png
    After reboot
    290611689.png
    Happy Days

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Well following the advice here on the forum i rebooted my modem a few mins ago...

Before:

290613836.png

After:

290615088.png

And when i hit the Limrick Server on Speedtest:

290615284.png

All in all im fairly happy :)

Misty

30Mb... Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

paulm17781 wrote: »
    It was just after midnight when I rebooted my modem and have been unable to get a connection since. I'm hoping whatever they're doing today will rectify it, the error was that it couldn't contact the DHCP server. I'm hoping it is upgrade related and sorted when I get home.

Your not using the old silver Ntl modem by any chance? If so then it wont take the upgrade and you'll need a technician to sort it out.

OK I am hitting quite close to 20Mb down, but my upload is no where near 1.5 mb :( . This is on a wired connection btw.

290621565.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

So I've went from the 3mb express package to 6mb, it said on the site 'will automatically be upgraded to 10mb' So how long does it take to kick in?

bus77 wrote: »
    Your not using the old silver Ntl modem by any chance? If so then it wont take the upgrade and you'll need a technician to sort it out.

No I got my modem upgraded earlier in the year. I did once have an NTL person tell me my modem couldn't support the new frequencies and I'd need a new one. He won't do that again. :p Just a shame their support is so bad.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    So I've went from the 3mb express package to 6mb, it said on the site 'will automatically be upgraded to 10mb' So how long does it take to kick in?
    have you tried a reboot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

OK I am hitting quite close to 20Mb down, but my upload is no where near 1.5 mb :( . This is on a wired connection btw.

i have ran a fair few speedtests today on a wired connection and it has gone from 18 meg down to 7meg and everywhere inbetween but the upload has always been around 1.5mb.

even though the speedtest site shows a big change in my download speed i'm still getting very consistant 2.25 MB/Sec - 2.30 MB/Sec download speed from ftp.esat.net over a wired connection although that gets cut in half when i download via a wireless connection to the pc , so it just might be time to buy a homeplug starter kit or start running some cables around the house seen as i have some spare time .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Aquos76 wrote: »
    have you tried a reboot?

How i do that? :confused:

Unplug it and connect it back in? Yeah?

Advertisement