Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    How i do that? :confused:

Unplug it and connect it back in? Yeah?

thats the one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

In Limerick,was on 12 ultra, signed up 3 months ago.
    Wireless router.

Test before reboot:
    290627358.png

Test after:
    290628725.png

Up is correct....down is low...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    How i do that? :confused:

Unplug it and connect it back in? Yeah?
    Yep! And wait 30 seconds or so before plugging it back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    In Limerick,was on 12 ultra, signed up 3 months ago.
    Wireless router.

Test before reboot:
    290627358.png

Test after:
    290628725.png

Up is correct....down is low...:confused:
    Wireless can take mb's off a d/l speed in my experience, connect your laptop to the wired connection and then do a speed test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I hate you all :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Mistmyr wrote: »
    And when i hit the Limrick Server on Speedtest:

290615284.png

All in all im fairly happy :)

Sorry, what's that now? 35mbps downstream? How on earth did you manage that?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

He's ahcking the internetz :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Antamojo wrote: »
    I'm thinking of hopping on the 20mb bandwagon
    Is the wireless router provided any good?

Just got the BB set up to day. The wireless router is a fairly decent netgear router not like the crappy ones Eircom/BT uses. I think its this one:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/WGR614L.aspx

In work at the moment so I can't verify the model number right now.

Is there anyone in Swords, Dublin with the Ultra package? Are yous having any difficulties with the upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

290650604.png

I just rebooted mine and it jumped from 11 odd to 19 odd.

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Antamojo wrote: »
    I'm thinking of hopping on the 20mb bandwagon
    Is the wireless router provided any good?
    This is the one we got with ours. Dont know if its the same.
    Dabs quicklinx 3MVSWS

€75 on dabs, free for us. I never ordered it, but he installed it and i was never billed for it. Nice!

Its grand, never any problems with it at all at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

are those special cable modem\routers or will my existing one i use fro my BT bb work too?

Well UPC give you the modem, and you have to use that modem and only that modem. But you can then connect the modem to a router. I have no idea what router BT give, but if you can set it so that its only a router I would imagine it would work ok ( assumng it has a Rj 45 wan in) .

Well, I rang my flatmate at home and got him to reboot the modem and try speedtest.net. Our Upload was definitely upgraded to 1Mb but our Download has been... well, judge for yourself...

290648705.png

290653272.png

So what do I do now? I was getting the full 6Mb yesterday! Maybe our modem can't handle these new speeds (we have the small dark blue (or is green) modem)?!

The blue one should be able to take it afaik. Maybe wait a day or two, Someone might be raping the connection in your appartment block ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Well UPC give you the modem, and you have to use that modem and only that modem. But you can then connect the modem to a router.

jaysus that sounds messy, especially if it has to go where the tv is connected to the wall socket. 2 extra power plugs and more cables...will have to get another bigger power strip..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MiloFoxburr

Well, I rang my flatmate at home and got him to reboot the modem and try speedtest.net. Our Upload was definitely upgraded to 1Mb but our Download has been... well, judge for yourself...

290648705.png

290653272.png

So what do I do now? I was getting the full 6Mb yesterday! Maybe our modem can't handle these new speeds (we have the small dark blue (or is green) modem)?!

We have the same modem. SpeedTest has been dreadful since I rebooted the modem this morning to the point were I thought we hadn't been upgraded but Usenet is downloading at between 1700-2300kbps.

My upload speed is still 1meg though :/ So I dunno what's up

It's ok lads... I had a sneeking suspicion it was my flatmate's piece-o-sheet PC that was the problem... Got him to try on my laptop and he's getting the full 10Mb!

HURRAY!!! :D:D:D

Here he sent me the screenshot from my laptop:

290657914.png

DE-LIGH-TED!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I'd doubt that very much.

What a Plonker! :D
    290660939.png

AntiVirus wrote: »
    What a Plonker! :D
    290660939.png

So Mr. No Faith is all happy now is he? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Just got the BB set up to day. The wireless router is a fairly decent netgear router not like the crappy ones Eircom/BT uses. I think its this one:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/WGR614L.aspx

In work at the moment so I can't verify the model number right now.

Is there anyone in Swords, Dublin with the Ultra package? Are yous having any difficulties with the upgrade?

I'm in Swords and I'm having sort of a problem, it took about 30 minutes before the modem decided to give me network access and than I'm only getting this:

290682249.png

I love the upload (VoIP) but I really like to get a slightly better download.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I'm in Swords and I'm having sort of a problem, it took about 30 minutes before the modem decided to give me network access and than I'm only getting this:

290682249.png

I love the upload (VoIP) but I really like to get a slightly better download.

Are you connecting via wifi or ethernet? Wireless can make it slower, also try a different server from speedtest.net

Guys, do you know an ftp (located in Ireland) I could download a file from to test the TRUE download speed of my new NTL connection? Something like a 100MB file.

I remember IBB always asking me to download a 100MB file from an ftp owned by a college somewhere but I can't remember what it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 juice79

Try this...

http://url.ie/qv

• Registered Users Posts: 39 juice79

Before a modem reboot...
    290697441.png

After...
    290699512.png

Sweet, gone from a 3Mb BT connection to a cheaper 20Mb NTL in the last few weeks, can't get much better than that.

juice79 wrote: »
    Try this...

http://url.ie/qv
    Working perfect from work! Steady as hell!

Will give it a try at home with my new 10Mb connection! (God I'm so proud!) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Speedtest sites become less reliable the faster your connection is for a number of reasons.

Give the heanet ftp a try - http://ftp.heanet.ie. Any large iso like this will give you a better idea of your downstream bandwidth.

That HEAnet file is topping out at about 2300KB, So it would appear HEAnet can no longer compete with home BB :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

excellent news, and its uncapped!

that has to be the best product out there by far?

i don't think the competition can respond?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

rc28 wrote: »
    Are you connecting via wifi or ethernet? Wireless can make it slower, also try a different server from speedtest.net

Well, I replaced the cable between modem and router and voila miracle I get good speeds:

290717542.png

And this is over my wifi none the less.

Happy as I can be now.

Advertisement