Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Moriarty wrote: »
    Speedtest sites become less reliable the faster your connection is for a number of reasons.

Give the heanet ftp a try - http://ftp.heanet.ie. Any large iso like this will give you a better idea of your downstream bandwidth.
    That's the one Moriarty! Heanet! Always forget... :rolleyes:

Drapper wrote: »
    excellent news, and its uncapped!

that has to be the best product out there by far?

i don't think the competition can respond?
    Jaysus! You still around Drapper!? Nice to see you again on boards! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

That HEAnet file is topping out at about 2300KB, So it would appear HEAnet can no longer compete with home BB :P

That's about what I'm getting, too. But 2300kBps is = to 17.96875mbps, according to this link. I don't think that a (round it up to) 18mbps download speed is much to complain about, on a 20mbps line. That said, I'd like to know where the other 2mbps have gone to.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

290722453.png

I'm happy too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Jaysus! You still around Drapper!? Nice to see you again on boards! ;)

steff as you already know I'm always around! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

benifa wrote: »
    That's about what I'm getting, too. But 2300kBps is = to 17.96875mbps, according to this link. I don't think that a (round it up to) 18mbps download speed is much to complain about, on a 20mbps line. That said, I'd like to know where the other 2mbps have gone to.. :confused:

Yeah HEAnet seems to be somewhat limited. The previous link that someone posted ( the esat link ) I get about 100 KB more on and I am not sure if that is being limited either although I think it probably is, getting close the max possible.

Well the theoretical limit is 2500 KB .Obviously there will be some overhead/noise etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'm getting 2.4mb/s download off a download accelerated (10 connections) reliable private server.

This is great stuff, I think NTL just pulled a fast one on the competition with this double upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm in Swords and I'm having sort of a problem, it took about 30 minutes before the modem decided to give me network access and than I'm only getting this:

290682249.png

I love the upload (VoIP) but I really like to get a slightly better download.

ah crap :( haven't tested my line yet as I had to rush off to work after they finished the install. But while they where setting it up I kept overhearing them mutter things like "this is taking ages to connect, seems to be a problem in all of the Swords area", "a few other jobs i've been on around here had the same problems"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

L31mr0d wrote: »
    ah crap :( haven't tested my line yet as I had to rush off to work after they finished the install. But while they where setting it up I kept overhearing them mutter things like "this is taking ages to connect, seems to be a problem in all of the Swords area", "a few other jobs i've been on around here had the same problems"

I just had to reboot (changed some cables and stuff) and it took a good while to connect, however once it is connected I'm getting good speed now.

Even with a dLan Ethernet converter bringing the downstairs modem output to the upstairs router I'm getting solid download/upload rates both via Lan and Wifi

290737674.png

Downloading larger files as suggested above is also giving me very good rates if it's from Ireland.

However if I take bigger files from the US than it's really slower, but I expected that.

I now have a 20 MB line with good throughput for 1/2 the money I paid BT for my 8 MB line. Now if they can keep this up once more people join and start downloading limitless is the other question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Just rebooted there and it was done happy days :D

Capture.jpg

• Advertisement

I just had to reboot (changed some cables and stuff) and it took a good while to connect, however once it is connected I'm getting good speed now.

Even with a dLan Ethernet converter bringing the downstairs modem output to the upstairs router I'm getting solid download/upload rates both via Lan and Wifi

290737674.png

Downloading larger files as suggested above is also giving me very good rates if it's from Ireland.

However if I take bigger files from the US than it's really slower, but I expected that.

I now have a 20 MB line with good throughput for 1/2 the money I paid BT for my 8 MB line. Now if they can keep this up once more people join and start downloading limitless is the other question.

Just home and I tested it now. Here's what I'm getting, it's not exactly 20Mb/s but still, its better than the 6.5Mb/s I was getting from BT for over twice the cost.

290743874.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

who cares about 18mb on a 20mb... Im bloody stuck on 3 well at least for the next 12 weeks until ntl upgrade my area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

irishpimpdude said
    well at least for the next 12 weeks until ntl upgrade my area
    well the last time ntl said that to me it was 2.5 yrs before they upgraded my area..best of luck m8:-)

Well, I'm finally at home to test myself and I'm delighted!

290748483.png]

0d15762498c759c4c7889c4b5fda644f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 davidh99

D18 - was on €25 for 2 MB

before reboot:
    290751697.png

after reboot:
    290766437.png

where are people seeing that the upgrade to 6MB is going to cost another €2.50? Not complaining, just wondering were you're seeing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

290760171.png

magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Just stumbled onto this thread a few mins ago, had no idea this was coming up

can anyone interpret this, please? :)

this from Feb 2007
    89247656.png

and this from a little while ago today test to limerick

290754364.png

test to Dublin
    290762964.png

my upload has decreased somewhat - strange! woder will this improve? is there anyone else from Clonmel that has tested??

Still mightily impressed with that download speed!! WOW!! :eek:

:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Fionn wrote: »
    test to Dublin
    290762964.png

Can't fault your download speed, it's very good indeed, for a 20mb connection. But your upload should be close to 1500kb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I want my 10Mb! Ive still got the previous upgrade. :(

290766413.png

doing some further testing with actual downloads and I'm getting a steady 2MB/s, lol thats nearly as fast as the network I use in work :D

Going to try some different cables I have lying around and see if it makes a difference. The one i'm currently using is a cat5, i'll try a cat5e and cat6 and see if theres a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

290768767.png

woooooo!!!!!!!

this is great eircon are out the window now.

upc have them by the bollox now!!!!!!!

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I want my 10Mb! Ive still got the previous upgrade. :(

290766413.png
    That Upload speed is from the latest Upgrade (10Mb/1Mb) Ross_Mahon. Are you using a wireless config. or is your computer plugged into the modem/router directly?

I'm asking because earlier on my flatmate was telling me that after the upgrade our speeds had dropped to 1Mb/1Mb! :eek:
    Turns out it was his wireless card that was just cr@p... I'm getting the full 10Mb/1Mb on my PC!

That Upload speed is from the latest Upgrade (10Mb/1Mb) Ross_Mahon. Are you using a wireless config. or is your computer plugged into the modem/router directly?

I'm asking because earlier on my flatmate was telling me that after the upgrade our speeds had dropped to 1Mb/1Mb! :eek:
    Turns out it was his wireless card that was just cr@p... I'm getting the full 10Mb/1Mb on my PC!

I'm using the motorolla surf board modem (black), its not wireless and i don't use wireless at all.

I have to use USB because the DSL wire does not work for some reason? How do i get back to the wire? because i heard USB is slightly slower...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

so jealous of you lot :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I was thinking of moving back to the city, now I certainly am, I'd have a long grey beard waiting for 20 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

eeekk... 20Mpbs.... can't resist....

mart_max wrote: »
    eeekk... 20Mpbs.... can't resist....

Its only 40 euro a month...:cool: You know you want to...

is there a coverage map or checker for this service?

Iv checked the site but it seems to just time out here, cheers:rolleyes:

20MB is finally something to a decent europe standard
    how are your ping times? to say www.boards.ie cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 34 marchanlon

There's a checker at: http://www.upc.ie/internet/

Beware though, this said I could get broadband but when I rang the sales person said my specific road isn't covered even though my area is. Stuck on Eircom now :(

• Advertisement

seems i can only get digital tv and not broadband oh well

i`ll have on to my eircom 3 meg for now :mad:

btw thanks for the link.

Advertisement