Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

davidh99 wrote: »
    D18 - was on €25 for 2 MB

where are people seeing that the upgrade to 6MB is going to cost another €2.50? Not complaining, just wondering were you're seeing this.
    People are pulling numbers from thin air. I had that 2mb light package up until 2 weeks ago when I noticed the express package only costs 5 euro more. Rang up and they upgraded me over the phone to the 6mb express package without having to sign any new contracts. I've also been auto upgraded to 10mb today cause that's the speed of the express package now.

I'd be surprised if they don't upgrade your light package (6mb) to the new express (10mb) package if you ring up. Cost you 5 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

its amazing on ntl the jump from 6mb to 10 mb in basically free, and from eircoms 2mb to 3mb is like 17 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Has this upgrade been across the board or have they only done certain regions so far?
    I'm in the D. 24 area and am on the Ultra service but still seem to be running at 6mb after a few reboots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

From my tests i'm still on the 1mb line.

I've unplugged and plugged it again but no joy.

I suppose i'll have to ring them in the morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Has this upgrade been across the board or have they only done certain regions so far?
    I'm in the D. 24 area and am on the Ultra service but still seem to be running at 6mb after a few reboots.

I'm in Firhouse, D24 and have gone from 6 -> 10 after resetting my cable modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

I think I'll hold off until around August to see how performance holds up here in Cork city but to put into perspective just how much this has caught Eircon off guard:

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/packages/12Mb/

And that doesn't include VAT...well sign me up Mr.Eircon cause I like getting kicked in the balls repeatedly:P
    Well done UPC and hopefully performance remains ok what with everyone jumping from the Eircon ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

OK, wait a minute,

I was following the other thread quite religiously about going from 6 to 12 and then I go on Holidays for a week and now everyone is up to 20meg :eek:

Im still on crappy old 6meg Ultra and paying 66 a month for basic tv aswell.

Has everyone on this original 6meg ultra package signed the form? It doesnt suit me as I am renting and the lease is up in 2 months :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

OK, wait a minute,

I was following the other thread quite religiously about going from 6 to 12 and then I go on Holidays for a week and now everyone is up to 20meg :eek:

Im still on crappy old 6meg Ultra and paying 66 a month for basic tv aswell.

Has everyone on this original 6meg ultra package signed the form? It doesnt suit me as I am renting and the lease is up in 2 months :(
    You can always downgrade to the express package and get 10mb instead of 6mb and save yourself 10 euro a month with no contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Good morning UPC Customers!

Quick question: did your connection die last night at around 00:57? Mine did (I'm based in Finglas)... Tried again at 01:40 and it was still down. Didn't have time to try this morning unfortunately.

Did any of you have the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Mines been hit and miss for about 2 weeks now!! Was working over the weekend fine but its back to the same crap again, sub dial-up speeds, pages timeing out etc etc.

I've spoke to them 4 times now, each time they say there was a problem in the area but its been fixed but when I get home its gone again :(

dublin 8 here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mine is still fine here this morning

291025190.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dogg

gerryR wrote: »
    Mines been hit and miss for about 2 weeks now!! Was working over the weekend fine but its back to the same crap again, sub dial-up speeds, pages timeing out etc etc.

I've spoke to them 4 times now, each time they say there was a problem in the area but its been fixed but when I get home its gone again :(

dublin 8 here

gerry - I had exactly the same problem! For last 2 weeks my internet is crowling 90% of time - loosing 80% of pacekts and webpages are timing out. I am calling UPC but theyre saying that there's no problem in the area. I even have technician's visit scheduled for tomorrow. Where are you living in D8? I am in Christchurch Pl.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Dogg wrote: »
    gerry - I had exactly the same problem! For last 2 weeks my internet is crowling 90% of time - loosing 80% of pacekts and webpages are timing out. I am calling UPC but theyre saying that there's no problem in the area. I even have technician's visit scheduled for tomorrow. Where are you living in D8? I am in Christchurch Pl.

I'm in the same place m8

I've been onto them at least 4 times.

1st time a couple of weeks ago, they could see there was a problem so logged a call for a few days time. Just on my way home to meet the tech (last tue I think) he called me to say he was told there was a problem in the building and they would have it fixed by the weekend. I went on home anyway and it was back up and running. Though that was that so I signed up for the 12MB upg, by the time I got home the upg had already been applied!

It was working fine till about Sunday, then the same crap started, pages timing out etc. I rang on Mon evening, he could see there was a problem with my connection but said he's have to get someone to run a differnt test during the day and he'd get them to ring back. Yesterday I got a call during the day to say there had been a problem in my area but its fixed now.

I get home yesterday evening and its still not working. This morning its a bit betrer but still timing out every so often so not fixed I'd say!

Sry for the long post, I might ring them again just to keep drilling it in that its not fixed. Let me know if the tech has anything intersting to say although if it is still their problem I'd say its a waste of time him calling out.

gr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    You can always downgrade to the express package and get 10mb instead of 6mb and save yourself 10 euro a month with no contract.

This didn't work when I tried it. I had to sign to get the upgrade and after a modem reboot, it was instant. I reckon sign the form. I don't see me not wanting my 20Mbps any time soon. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

tried my line this morning and tested it in speedtest.net and was getting 19.5Mb/s. Can't provide an image link as i'm in work now.

I was up till about 2am last night and it didn't go for down me at all in Swords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dogg

gerryR wrote: »
    I'm in the same place m8

gr

gerry - I sent you private msg to your e-mail...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

I started wih NTL on 756Kbps in May 2005 for 35 Euros / Month. This then doubled to 1.5 Mbps for the same price later in 2005. It doubled again to 3 Mbps in 2006 and they dropped the price to 30 Euros per month. 2 Weeks ago it doubled once more to 6 Mbps and yesterday it got increased to 10 Mbps.:)

Eircom will definately need to review their prices/speeds in order to remain competitive ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

L31mr0d wrote: »
    tried my line this morning and tested it in speedtest.net and was getting 19.5Mb/s. Can't provide an image link as i'm in work now.

I was up till about 2am last night and it didn't go for down me at all in Swords
    Hmmm... So Swords was fine but Finglas was down... Interesting... I wonder what happened (and if it's still happening!). Will check when I get home this evening. Hope it's back up! :o

Thanks for the info L31mr0d! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

RintPete wrote: »
    I started wih NTL on 756Kbps in May 2005 for 35 Euros / Month. This then doubled to 1.5 Mbps for the same price later in 2005. It doubled again to 3 Mbps in 2006 and they dropped the price to 30 Euros per month. 2 Weeks ago it doubled once more to 6 Mbps and yesterday it got increased to 10 Mbps.:)

Eircom will definately need to review their prices/speeds in order to remain competitive ...

I wish that was true but untill UPC/Smart becomes widely available (which will never happen outside of main cities and hte largest towns) Eircom can continue to sit comfortably twiddling their thumbs charging insane prices.

I think the only thing that will make Eircom more competitive is the Lines to be unbundled in every broadband exchange in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Gonzo wrote: »
    I wish that was true but untill UPC/Smart becomes widely available (which will never happen outside of main cities and hte largest towns) Eircom can continue to sit comfortably twiddling their thumbs charging insane prices.

But the cities are their main market. Just because UPC don't operate outside of the cities, it doesn't mean that Eircon aren't going to feel it. If mass migrations occur in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford, Eircon aren't going to say "We still have the rural towns though! ". They want the customers they'll lose to UPC just as badly.

What percentage of the population live outside these cities, I'd say less than 20% I think Eircon will want a bigger market share than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Just got it hooked up now. Results below :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

291079134.png

I'm still on 6Mb, still waiting for the upgrade to 10Mb, cant wait much longer...:(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

paulm17781 wrote: »
    But the cities are their main market. Just because UPC don't operate outside of the cities, it doesn't mean that Eircon aren't going to feel it. If mass migrations occur in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford, Eircon aren't going to say "We still have the rural towns though! ". They want the customers they'll lose to UPC just as badly.

What percentage of the population live outside these cities, I'd say less than 20% I think Eircon will want a bigger market share than that.

I agree, I expect that this will force Eircom to speed up their plans to roll out ADSL2+ and VDSL2 in the cities, it won't happen tomorrow, but it will happen. You can bet that there has been panicky meetings in Eircom and Smart HQ over the last week, this latest UPC upgrade really came out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭chris2007

291078713.png

Just got upgraded yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Had to ring em yesterday to get upgraded from 6 to 10 in Cabinteely.
    Rebooted, and all seemed fine, sppedtest about 9.5 down, 1 up.
    Checked the modem web pages, thought I'd see a change there on the downstream and upstream pages, but still looked like 6 settings. Should this change? Anyone checked theirs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

garlad wrote: »
    Checked the modem web pages, thought I'd see a change there on the downstream and upstream pages, but still looked like 6 settings. Should this change? Anyone checked theirs?

how are you checking this?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

open a browser and go to 192.168.100.1. login as root/root

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

garlad wrote: »
    Should this change? Anyone checked theirs?

I've been checking mine and it hasn't changed during or after the upgrades

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    291079134.png

I'm still on 6Mb, still waiting for the upgrade to 10Mb, cant wait much longer...:(
    Plug out, plug in your router. Worked for me yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I rang NTL just there, to inquire about not upgraded to 10Mb's, he had me on the phone for ages! He got me to speed test and re boot the modem, nothing worked.

So he said he will look into it and inform the engineers department...:mad:

Advertisement