Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Yesterday I was connecting over wireless, and averaging around 18mbps at speedtest.net.

Today I disabled wifi on my laptop and connected over ethernet directly to the NTL modem (no router). I also rebooted the modem. And..

291119549.png

I'm happy with that. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

benifa wrote: »
    Yesterday I was connecting over wireless, and averaging around 18mbps at speedtest.net.

Today I disabled wifi on my laptop and connected over ethernet directly to the NTL modem (no router). I also rebooted the modem. And..

291119549.png

I'm happy with that. :P

And that is the correct way to check it too.

People tend to forget that there will always be a drop when connecting over wireless, so if you really want to see what you are getting it's best done over a wired connection.

UPS's system must have got the shock of its life yesterday :eek: so everyone can expect some teething problems & should give the dust some time to settle. :)

They (UPS) have stepped up to the mark & caught their competitors with their pants down around their ankles, so those lucky enough to be able to avail of it should be patient while they iron out the creases.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 22 netstorm

I filled out the form yesterday requesting a upgrade from 3mb to the new 20 mb dl tested to see if i got the upgraded spoeed
    this is what i got:(
    291106693.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

My flatmate did the same yesterday netstorm and he was only getting 1Mb/1Mb... That's because his wireless card is cr@p. I was getting the full 10Mb/1Mb.

How do you connect to the NTL Router?

its connected directly to the modem

• Advertisement

forgot to add that i live in tallaght area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

In Limerick on the 1meg

Rang upc and they said it will be done nex week at no extra cost

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Give them a buzz netstorm to see if they have your request

netstorm wrote: »
    I filled out the form yesterday requesting a upgrade from 3mb to the new 20 mb dl tested to see if i got the upgraded spoeed
    291106693.png

Did you reboot your modem? Did you disable all applications on your PC that use the internet?

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Well, considering his Upload is 1.5Mb I take it the Upgrade was done. Defintely something wrong with that Download speed... Ring Customer Support (good luck!)

• Advertisement

AntiVirus wrote: »

From his upload speed I'd say he's on the 20mb/1.5mb plan alright. Looks like the modem might need rebooting and/or internet using apps on the PC have not been disabled (could be spyware, even).

antivirus yeah going to do that but will leave it for a day or so see if its just teething problems i was definitely upgraded got the full upload just the dl is the problem,

Steffano2002 - snap! :)

Steffano2002 - snap! :)
    Very bored in work today! :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

netstorm wrote: »

Give it time I'm sure their getting flooded with such requests,

lol guys well personally glad your bored in work:p , good news for me lol

doubt its apps or spyware the last test i did before upgrade was 5 min before upgrade, test speed showed up normal for a 3 mb dl speed 2935 kbs at 3 pm
    did reboot the modem as i said it could be teething problems on ntl side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just rebooted the modem, and oh yes baby - 20Mbps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

291175928.png

That's better. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

UPS's system must have got the shock of its life yesterday :eek: so everyone can expect some teething problems & should give the dust some time to settle. :)

They (UPS) have stepped up to the mark & caught their competitors with their pants down around their ankles, so those lucky enough to be able to avail of it should be patient while they iron out the creases.

-

What does the United Parcel Service have to do with our DSL speed increases? ;)

Personally I'm amazed they are even giving away 20Mb/s. Even at 12Mb/s their service was still better and cheaper than that of Eircoms/BT.

Maybe they are more concerned with glazing the carrot for Sky users rather than BT/Eircom users.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Maybe they are more concerned with glazing the carrot for Sky users rather than BT/Eircom users.

Is Sky broadband coming to Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

With these kind of speeds they could offer a video on demand service to your UPC Digital set top box. You could pick a movie from a very large library to watch anytime on your TV.

You would need a new UPC set top box of course. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Is Sky broadband coming to Ireland?

I think he means selling triple play with very fast BB is a very good way to steal Sky TV
    customers, specially as it works out much cheaper then getting Sky and DSL separately.

That isn't to say Sky won't launch BB in Ireland like they did in the UK to compete with UPC, but I haven't heard any rumours and surprisingly it is looking like o2 are looking to buy Smart, Smart are the only obvious choice for Sky to get into the Irish market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

:pac:

oh yes baby - tested over wireless from 3rd story to bottom floor so i know if i tested it direct im good :D

291231033.png

btw, rang upc this morning and had it in a few mins :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote: »
    I think he means selling triple play with very fast BB is a very good way to steal Sky TV
    customers, specially as it works out much cheaper then getting Sky and DSL separately.

That isn't to say Sky won't launch BB in Ireland like they did in the UK to compete with UPC, but I haven't heard any rumours and surprisingly it is looking like o2 are looking to buy Smart, Smart are the only obvious choice for Sky to get into the Irish market.

Its really a pity that NTL werent able to get their act together years ago when they appeared to be on the verge of a big expansion and then the money ran out. Eircom would have been under a lot more pressure then.

No dsl provider will ever be able to match UPC with the 20 figure. but is that the end of it now for UPC in terms of upping speed? Without further competition they have no real incentive to go further. And how many people will actually want the 20Mb? And by the way UPC still arent offering bb in Kilmainham or at least the part where I live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Gutted...

Just rang and there is no broadband in my area (clonsilla).

I am currently with Eircom, signed up for 2mb and my line is only capable of 1.5mb, and thats after a got a technician to service it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

dub45 wrote: »
    Its really a pity that NTL werent able to get their act together years ago when they appeared to be on the verge of a big expansion and then the money ran out. Eircom would have been under a lot more pressure then.

No dsl provider will ever be able to match UPC with the 20 figure. but is that the end of it now for UPC in terms of upping speed? Without further competition they have no real incentive to go further. And how many people will actually want the 20Mb? And by the way UPC still arent offering bb in Kilmainham or at least the part where I live!

they cant manage to deliver broadband in dublin 3 where i am either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

jasus feidhlim, I have UPC in carpenterstown juts down road from clonsilla - my parents have it too in roselawn.

friend has it in wattley near hartstown. clonsilla bang in middle of these??

having said that have a friend in Ongar who cant get it but thats because originally NTL had a disagreement with builders or some such malarky - might change soon enough!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dub45 wrote: »

I wouldn't be so certain about that, UPC have already been talking about rolling out DOCSIS 3 and greater then 20mb speeds.

Also this will really spur Eircom into starting their Next Generation Network (NGN) roll out of Fibre To The Curb and VDSL2, this should certainly allow Eircom to deliver greater then 20mb speeds.

It certainly won't happen over night, but up until this week, Eircom seemed to have a rather lazy upgrade plane to 8mb BB in ADSL and 12mb on ADSL2+ in some exchanges. This UPC news will be a shock to them and they are going to lose a lot of customers to UPC. The days of Eircom setting the BB pace in Ireland are over, they won't have any choice now but to speed up their NGN deployment plans.

Exciting times ahead :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wow, great news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

For f***'s sake already... I've filled out the damn forms to upgrade from my 6MB twice now - two weeks ago and three days ago. No emails, no contact, no change in speeds. Emailed support... no answer.... And the last few days, most of the time my speeds are like this:

291251186.png

So much for treating existing customers well.. been with NTL/UPC for two years now - I always love how they screw over their existing customer base whenever these upgrades come through. And yes, I've rebooted the modem a few times...

Advertisement