Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body art. (no chat without relevant pic)

Options
  • 26-06-2008 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

Ok here's how this new thread is gonna work.

You post up a pic (or 5) of your tattoo's and piercings, basically anything body modification related (even jewellery). However since this is a no chat thread I would kindly ask people to include the following information with the picture(s).

Example;

- The Picture
    - The artist who did it, location etc
    - Reasoning behind getting it
    - Approximate cost (if you want to include it)
    - Any other details that you feel are important to include

The above is just a guideline, you can just post your picture but people are generally eager to know the who, why and where questions. If you like the particular pic that has been posted, why not thank them?

If you seriously feel the need to contact the person don't do it on thread, send them a PM, message on their profile or even start a thread about it. Comments without pics will be deleted.

Common sense and forum rules apply. No genital pics etc.

Remember no chat, just body art.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

The artist: Done by the Italians in Art Tattoo in Templebar.

The story behind it: Not much really. It was my first tattoo. That's my finished side piece, it would be classed I suppose as a Maori style tattoo. Heavy black work with curves and plenty of white space. It took 3 sessions of about 3 - 4 hours each.
    The symbolism in it repesents regrowth and family but it just reminds me of that time in my life. I was living in France and having a whale of a time. :pac: My Dad even came with me one of the days because he was curious. Thought I was a nutjob.

Cost: Close on €1,000

Other details: Hurt like a fúcker but the ladies love it and more importantly so do i. I have a few other shots of the other sessions but they're less impressive. Steal my tattoo and I will break you. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Pales in comparison to Wills, but Here's the first:

448723989a8001525423l.jpg

I'm the bearded one that looks constipated. That's my treble clef, after I drew a similar one on a friends arm.

Done by Pawell in Snakebite, it's not very well done. It was my first tattoo, and Pawell just didn't seem to want to do it at all, it has uneven lines and bad spacing, but it's part of me and I still love it.

Number 2:
    448723989a8068623058l.jpg
    My bass clef, taken just after it was done so really red in the pic.
    Done by Seb in Hell Funky's Tattoo, I'm really pleased with this one, and with Seb and the shop, I just felt much more comfortable and welcome. Only had it a week now, healing nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

2 intertwined phoenixes. I can't remember the name of the artist but I got it done in Celestial Ring in Stephen's Green. How I came about coming up with the phoenix idea is that I have a chinese background. I originally wanted an oriental dragon but upon looking into it, I found out that the oriental dragon represents the male species. Decided no, I didn't want that and the female equivalent is the phoenix et voila... Total cost was €180 and it took about an hour and a half.

I love it! Originally I only wanted it to be only a few centimetres long but the artist said it'd have to be bigger otherwise the lines would need to be filled in. I decided to go bigger and have no regrets whatsoever :) I also got this to mark my 21st birthday with 2 friends (3 different tattoos/artists and all delighted!). My first and definitely not my last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My first tattoo: Dragon
    4503169a2590676909b107774665l.jpg
    My second tattoo: Phoenix
    4503169a5735054262l.jpg
    Both of them together:
    4503169a5735054270l.jpg

Done by Mariusz in Snakebite.

I got the dragon done because I had stumbled across the design a couple of years ago as I was looking for tribal dragon designs, and kept the design for over 2 years to be sure it was what I wanted. The dragon for me was to represent struggle to survive, and strength.

The phoenix was designed for me by Mariusz to compliment the dragon. I wanted the phoenix to look more agressive and masculine than most phoenix designs that you see. The reason for the phoenix was to represent rebirth and renewal.

I <3 them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

thats 2 of my tattoo's, and my ear, just thought id throw that in there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

Done by Phil in Wildcat Inc. Cost €80 Took about 40min to do.

It was inspired by Janis Joplins wrist tattoo but I changed various elements to it and added the colour.

For me it just is a stamp of my youth and my personality. It means alot to me. It bright young fresh and new. I was feeling good when I got it done and fell in love with the design years ago. Its above my bikini line. but you cant see it, as it is quite low down.

Thats half the reason why I think it only cost me €80 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

447938376a7703479749l.jpg
    my first, my flower, been drawing it everywhere since I was ten so I figured I'd get it drawn on me, on right hip, done by mariusz in snakebite, sept '07, €90

447938376a7703491925l.jpg
    number 2, I've developed an obsession with cherries...on top of right thigh, done by greg in inkwell, april/may '08, €100

447938376a8156892892l.jpg
    it means "to have an indomitable spirit in achieving ones goals" from a korean book so it doesn't in fact turn out to mean fertility god or summit
    down left side of ribs, done by greg again in inkwell, may '08, €80

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

butterfly.jpg
    This is my favourite, I have it on the top of my left thigh, on the outside, it's quite a large tattoo & was done mostly in one sitting, around 3.5 hours, with some finishing touches put in at a second time.
    It was created by Paul Kelly in Umeg Tattoos, Wexford; www.umegtattoos.com (click on the bottom photo flash player to see more of his work)

blossoms.jpg
    Also done by Paul- cherry blossoms- really love this one too, done in two sittings, outline & then colour, eventually it will go all down my back, I hope to add a blue Koi fish at the base of my spine and lots of other flowers & colour

Horse1.jpg
    Also by Paul (is there a theme developing here?? lol), on my right foot, my spirit animal is a white mare so this is to represent that

PC060011.jpg
    Also by Paul though there are now 3 Chinese symbols, the bottom is earth and then moon, I have since added understanding. They are on the inside of my left arm between elbow & wrist

I have ideas for many many more tattoos... aaah so many tattoos, so little time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

explanation for all,i was bored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Moonspell

the 1st, is a clef inside my right wrist. a small symbol of how "music" plays a big part in my life and has done for a long time.

the 2nd, is the capricorn sign and my gipsy sign too. to be extended in the furture.

both were made in Portugal and draw myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

various piercings i've had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

more piercing and prob a tatt or two will show up here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

447938376a7703410911l.jpg
    tongue done sept '06, by the cute wee guy in Snakebite, €55 iirc

447938376a7703492020l.jpg
    pretty pathetic but gettin more done, right ear

447938376a7703492125l.jpg
    even more pathetic on the left...:o

447938376a7703506331l.jpg
    nape, feb '08, steve in snakebite, €70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

Leopard print star, Montreal $70
    Lily, Montreal $200
    Lily touch up, Skull in Celtic Resurrection, Sligo
    Nape, Paddy Celestial Ring €50
    Stars, Skull in Celtic Resurrection, Sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

Stuck in one or 2 close up pics of my chest piece, has to be coloured -John in Inkwell.
    Most piercings done by Aine and Ruth in Celestial Ring.
    Double centre labret done by Mark in V Piercing, along with second tongue bar and snakebites.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My first tattoo, on my right ankle, done by Darren in Colourworks. Means 'Dog' and I got it in memory of my little dog Mady. It took all of 15 mins so it was a good starter! Cost €50, done July '06

Second tattoo, on left ankle. Also done in Colourworks, which I got for my Grandma. The design was a piece of jewellery I saw, and re-drew into a tattoo design. Took about an hour and cost €120, done September '07.

Third tattoo, an addition to the chinese symbol on my right ankle. This one was done in Zulu. Was soundly ripped off on this one, but I'm happy with the tatt so I can get over the cost €200 for an hour and a half. Done May '08.

I'd like to get some Japanese koi, water and peony flowers on my back but I'm still saving up for that. I'll be going back to Darren for any more work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Got this little beauty yesterday, love it !! Done by Sammy in Swineline, must say those guys rock, took 3 hours or so to do, €280 worth every penny :P

theres a few pictures of it, were really crap at taking photos in this house , so put up a few so you'll get to see it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

2656440365_4f4d6814ac.jpg

:o I dont think this is really the best representation of my tattoo; it wraps around and thus the dimensions look a little skewed in the photo.

I got my shark done in Wildcat, by Phil, in October of last year - its a polynesian design, and took just about 4 hours to do (€350 I think??). I was delighted with it, still am, although the colour isnt as sharp as it once was.

There is a variety of reasons why I got this particular tattoo done, and it carries huge sentimental weight for me, but its 1am so I wont get into that..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Okay, I'll post here since I'm bored at work.

No pictures of my piercings though.

newtat2rk3.jpg

The above one is a meteor from a game called Final Fantasy 7, was my first tattoo, got it done in Zulu in Temple Bar, pretty happy with it, might get a UV outline done on it though, not too sure yet :)

fkzalg.jpg

In this image it was only a few hours old so it had not healed, it's coming along well now though, it's Ryoko from a Japanese animation called Tenchi Muyo.

She always reminded me of a fictional female version of myself and I loved the colours so I got her on my arm after a long time of thinking about it, really glad I took the plunge though. It was done by Mark in Inkwell, and I can't wait to go back for more :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

http://omg.wthax.org/SSL10664.jpg

Some messing with my camera settings

Mod edit: pic huge and not arsed resizing. Click the link if ya wanna see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 niandra la des

Done by Sean in Zulu, about a year and a half ago. Why? Tis lyrics from a song that means a lot to me (yeaarr, sounds a bit lame; but it's a song that got me through some well ****ty times). I love it! Only have 6 tats to date, but have bout 12 more planned.... just bankrolling 'em thats the problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

my first done in dragon tattoo in dublin 6yrs ago now (god i feel old now) not a great pic but the only one i have of just that one! think it was about 80/90squid and 45mins-1hr
    Fairy.jpg
    2nd (on stomach) done in metal works in galway €50or so (completely robbed cause it took like 10 mins)
    stomachtats.jpg
    3rd (on hip) done in Danny Bulmins in limerick, €50 i think. again a 5-10min job
    Jap_tat.jpg
    4th (horse) done in Tattoo Charlies in Lexington Kentucky USA. $40 , about 25-30 mins
    100_0241.jpg
    5th Ankle star done in Tattoo Charlies again. $30, about 15 mins
    24hourslater-1.jpg
    6th Rib stars Danny Bulmins €80, bout 20mins
    mine.jpg
    7th Barcode with name and DOB, done in lanzarote €80, 40mins
    NO PICS OF THIS ONE
    8th my breast cancer ribbon and altzeimers flowers done by Samme in Swineline €70 almost an hour.... deffo the best place ive been and the tattoo im the most happy with.
    101_1099.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Tattoo Zoo by Connie
    €160
    Took an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SheSaidDestroy

Image018(2).jpg
    My ear...work in progress :D
    Sorry about the wobbly pic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

2437029a8329234744o.jpg

Excuse the bad photo, it's from a camera phone. Looks alot better in person.
    Got this done on my left forearm in July this year in Metal Urges, Tralee. The JC are my Moms initials and the script underneath says 'Stop this train'. A John Mayer song that hold particular meaning to me.

And here it is healed:

2437029a8598835643o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭BadlyKneaded

Here are my few for your perusal:

My right shoulder - Started out as a teeny Chinese symbol (actual translation - Come. I was in a rush when I picked it but now I think its hilarious, especially when people say "Hey, you've got come on your shoulder") when I was 16, got it in a place in Galway that's long gone a this stage. Got a little dragon put around it a few years later and added the second bigger dragon 2 yrs ago (Denise in Snakebite). I'm hoping to eventually expand it all along the length of the right side of my back down to my ass.

My left ankle - I got a little Rose with some tribal lines, coz my name is Rose and I always hated the name growing up. Until I grew into it. Now I love it. Also its been slightly embiggened as there was an ex's name there too briefly. But we won't mention that. Done in South Ink in Rathmines.

My left hip - I have a little kitteh silhouette, because I love kittehs. And also I thought it was funny to ask people if they wanted to see my "pussy" Got it done in South Ink in Rathmines.

My right ass cheek - I got the word Culchie inked on there when I moved up to Dublin, just to show a little pride! :) Done in Dragon Tattoo on Talbot St. (My hand is in the shot to protect your eyes from my ass crack)

Culchie Bum.JPG

Hip Kitteh.JPG

Rose - Ankle.JPG

Shoulder Dragons.JPG

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 L.i.t.h.i.u.m

Right so Ill post one of my tattoo's,

So yeah this my swallow, yeah I've heard all the jokes and puns before:pac: which I have high up on my hip/lower ribs got it cause I loved what they represent, and plus my family is a sea-faring family so it reminded me of them too yah. I got it done by Paul in Wildcat in Stephens Green, he was really helpful, I gave him a rough sketch and he came back with around 5 or 6 different ones drawn up for me to choose and modify, 150e just under 2 hours work. This pic was taken a few hours after it was done, so still kinda red and clingfilmed up, now the tatt is alot brighter

98904276a9261962476l.jpg

I don't have any decent pics of my piercings or other tatt, I'll post some once I take them. Also thinking bout getting a second swallow on my other hip but yeah thats on the to-do list:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i suggest the troller, to read the first post in this thread, i know i'm also breaking the rule of the thread but as a lurker i feel like i need to say it.

*EDIT* actually found a pic of my scaffold piercing.

IMG_0918.jpg

*EDIT2*

some details:

done in wildcat stephen's green.
    cost 60 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Why does all the sh¡t hit the fan when I'm out?

The schizophrenic troll was in the wrong.
    However, feeding the trolls is also frowned upon.
    I'm in 2 minds as to whether or not to infract people who I previously verbally warned in thread. Will ponder on it more.

If you don't feed the troll it goes away, simple as.
    Leave the moderating to the moderators of the forum, report posts (as you guys did) and be happy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement