Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Greeting or Beep

Options
  • 26-06-2008 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

I was out on a cycle with 2 other lads last night. I was cycling along the Navan Road heading for Dunshaughlin when someone beeped who I didn't know and the lads didn't seem to either. So I was thinking maybe they saw my Boards Jersey and they're on this forum.

That got me thinking why don't we beep the horn 3 times in quick succession to aknowledge someone you see in the gear or have some form of other aknowledgement.

If anyone has any other suggestion it would be good to hear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I propose we scream "Tiocfaidh ár lána" as loud as possible to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

What about a shrill tribal warrior scream a la "ayayayayayayay!"?

Anyone? No...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

I propose we scream "Tiocfaidh ár lána" as loud as possible to each other.

I would, if I knew what it meant - and my pronunciation was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Chris Peak wrote: »
    I would, if I knew what it meant - and my pronunciation was right!

You pronounce it "chucky r lawna" it means "our lanes will come".

There's a saying in Ireland (Northern Ireland) "Tiocfaidh ár lá" which means "Our day will come", in other words when the British will leave.

I hope that doesn't sound too political!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Aquinas73 wrote: »

There's a saying in Ireland (Northern Ireland) "Tiocfaidh ár lá" which means "Our day will come", in other words when the British will leave.

Wasn't it the main slogan of the IRA for some time?

There's a flooring place in Droghrda that has "Tiocfaidh ar urlar" which tickles me everytime :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's a flooring place in Droghrda that has "Tiocfaidh ar urlar" which tickles me everytime :)

That's almost as good as "Lino Ritchie" in Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

el tonto wrote: »
    That's almost as good as "Lino Ritchie" in Clondalkin.

haha Lino Ritchies there used to be one of those near dorset street too used to make me smile every time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

There's a Lino Richie in Finglas also.

It has to be one of the best names out there.

If you walk into Lino Ritchie’s does he say “Hello, is it me you’re looking for?”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

Aquinas73 wrote: »

Thanks for that, I didn't do Irish in school. (Not from here)

I'd heard the northern 'chucky' before, and wondered what cyclists were waiting for.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

If you walk into Lino Ritchie’s does he say “Hello, is it me you’re looking for?”

That's a step too far I think... *groan*

I'm trying to come up with something about him branching out into the ceilings business, but it didn't work because his dancing shoes left scuff marks all over people's ceilings.

Gimme a minute, I'll work on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

One of my favourite lines I came across in the yellow pages the other day was "You'll be delira with our staighre" from some attic stairs company!

Schindler's Lifts.

To get back to the OP, I think just shouting out "Boards!" would be sufficient.
    As for hand signals, pretend you're typing on your handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah I think a simple "Boardsie" shout might avoid much of the confusion.

Don't a lot of hairdressers/barbers have those wordplay names? "Hair today, gone tomorrow", etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

One of my favourite lines I came across in the yellow pages the other day was "You'll be delira with our staighre" from some attic stairs company!

"Curl up and dye" hairdressing suppliers in town is personal favourite of mine, that said I'd use "Lino Richie" purely for the f**king kick ass name.!

But anyway i beep twice at the boards guys I see in dundrum and sandyford. Can cause a bit o confusion for the cars in front of you though.!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You've spotted boardsie jerseys ! They must be id'd in the 'boardsie jersey spotting' thread!

I sometimes wear my jersey on my commute. It's very comfy. Is this a cycling fashion faux pas, or is it acceptable behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I also wear it on my commute and mountain biking. Certainly, it is a demonstration of extreme nerdness, but it is comfy, and I think it looks quite good!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Verb wrote: »
    I also wear it on my commute and mountain biking. Certainly, it is a demonstration of extreme nerdness, but it is comfy, and I think it looks quite good!
    I might have to purchase a long sleeve just to be part of the gang here! It is a very nice looking top i must say.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Where is this thread verb? I was tempted to post my pic of me in my jersey in the "images of beauty thread", har har!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I might have to purchase a long sleeve just to be part of the gang here! It is a very nice looking top i must say.!
    If you do want to, get your order in to Penexpers quick- the order will be going in soon enough. The jerseys are very good quality and much recommended.

Advertisement