Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Safe?

Options
  • 26-06-2008 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Anyone know how safe it is to leave a bike in UCD overnight?

Mind you it's a piece of crap, but still.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If it's locked well and a piece of crap you may be OK. UCD would not in general have a great reputation for being safe to leave bikes mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

UCD is a notorious den of bike filchers. Be Ware !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Attach about 3 locks if you're thinking about doing this. As a member of a sports club that trains regularly in the sports centre, I've realised they just couldn't care less about bike safety. A lot of us have decent road bikes and used to bring them inside the centre while we trained but were then told we weren't allowed to due to 'health and safety'. After being told if we leave them outside they'll get swiped they just shrugged and gave us no help.

I've seen people sizing up bikes to swipe and thrown them the old "Nice bike, isn't it?" line, but they'll obviously just saunter back later if they're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

had a front wheel taken from there. possible the riskiest place in Dublin that i know of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

So where and when are you going to park this bike? :D

UCD has been notorious for years for bike theft. A well known oasis for every tea leaf for miles around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bumbley

studiorat wrote: »
    So where and when are you going to park this bike? :D

In front of the computer science and informatics building, will be there all night, it's a black and grey thing and the combination to the lock is...

No but seriously, thanks for the replies. I think I'll opt out of my once brilliant plan and suffer the journey home on it. I may die (I'm horribly sick, and it's horribly raining). But at least I will keep my bike safe!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

In fairness, if it's really a crap bike and you've a decent lock then leave it there. There are plenty of bikes left overnight there. I wouldn't even leave a good bike for an hour while playing football in UCD never mind leave one overnight but that's what POS bikes are for. I've often left bikes overnight in UCD without any trouble (or I've lent bikes to people who've left them there!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭bassman22

if its not a relatively new bike or a very good one, its worth the risk leaving it there. I've left my bike overnight a good few times and over the wknd a couple of times.
    Sports centre isn't where id leave it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Chance ur arm and book it in for a "service" in the bike shop just before they close, or you could just explain your situation to them and ask can they lock it in overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Leave it just outside UCD;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bumbley

Right well I'm just about to head off and I think I'm just going to cycle home. I'll see how it goes anyway.

Probably end up leaving it half way.

Advertisement