Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

full licence not entitled to money back on policy

Options
  • 26-06-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Ok so rany insurance company to find out how much i was due back after passing my test my policy is out in december ..as its 'nearly' out im entitled to nothing!

While a friend got €94 back from same insurance company and the policy is out in august.

This seems unfair .
    Should i complain?

Does a full licence mean nothing now ?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Erm, December is six month away. You should definitely be entitled to a refund of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

You should definately be entitled to something back! They sound as if they are just chancing their arm, hoping you are a soft touch and won't make an issue of it. As Seamus said, there is half the year left on your premium. Definately call them back and complain!

Who is the insurer OP? And what is your premium if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Keep calling, they'll get sick of you and give you a refund if some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭i_hate_rain

Its quinn direct

I rang back and was arguing with a supervisior and still got nothing apparently different policies generate different refunds and nothing could be changed

My policy cost €1000

So basically in my case a full licence means nothing and i should have saved my €200 on lessons and the cost of the test

I'm so annoyed with them i am def. changing next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

They'll probably tell you that the cost of insurance has gone up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I pay more than a 1000 with a full licence,be happy :p

They did tell me the cost of insurance has gone up!!

Why should i be happy with €1000 (for a 1.2!) when other companies are offering a bit cheaper i only went with them cos i heard good things about them:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

They did tell me the cost of insurance has gone up!!

Why should i be happy with €1000 (for a 1.2!) when other companies are offering a bit cheaper i only went with them cos i heard good things about them:mad:

Im got insurered 1700 yoyo for a 1.2 be happy, although when I passed they gave me back 150 last month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

seamus wrote: »
    Erm, December is six month away. You should definitely be entitled to a refund of sorts.

I agree. With 6 monts left in your policy you should definatly get something back.

And the cost of insurance going up has nothing to do with it! As you should be getting money back from the cost of your policy at the start of it, not what the cost would be now!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

i am with quinn direct and when i passed my test i got back 55euro. 8months left on policy.

policy 720euro on 1.2 ltr, male, 24, 3yrs ncb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

dancor wrote: »
    Im got insurered 1700 yoyo for a 1.2 be happy, although when I passed they gave me back 150 last month
    So if somebody is being ripped off, they should shut up and be happy as there is always someone else getting ripped off to a greater extent???? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

So if somebody is being ripped off, they should shut up and be happy as there is always someone else getting ripped off to a greater extent???? :rolleyes:

No, where did I say that :confused: I said be happy cause I would if I got insured for a grand, I never said dont persue them for a discount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Have a look at your policy booklet, it might say something in that about it.

I work in insurance and you don't always get something back but if the policy is in your own name I would have hoped to get something.

A few years ago most companies gave something back but not all and Quinn Insurance still might not.

Is your girlfriend insured with Quinn Direct also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I got a reduction of 50 yoyos with 4 months left on my policy, was paying by direct debit.

Mine is 528 euro TPFT on a 1.9TDI with 2 years no claims 27 yrs old

I think they have some limit on the amount they will give a refund .. i.e. if the refund is less than a certain amount they dont refund it, as then they claim theres an administration fee which is greater than that amount.

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    Have a look at your policy booklet, it might say something in that about it.

I work in insurance and you don't always get something back but if the policy is in your own name I would have hoped to get something.

A few years ago most companies gave something back but not all and Quinn Insurance still might not.

Is your girlfriend insured with Quinn Direct also?

I am a girl and my boyfriend got 94 back and his brother and his gf got back €50 each all with quinn direct

I should've talked to the supervisors supervisor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

always read the small print: if you paid already they will not give you back a penny

its your fault you havent told them earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    if you paid already they will not give you back a penny

That's rubbish. This is the first instance ive ever heard of somebody having more than a month or 2 left on their policy and been refused a partial refund for passing their driving test

always read the small print: if you paid already they will not give you back a penny

its your fault you havent told them earlier

I pay monthly and i only passed last week what was i supposed to do pretend i had a full licence when i took out the policy??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

I work with quinn, and i was told by an underwriter that the amount of claims occuring with ppl that just passed there test has increased dramatically as the person is now driving by themselves whereas with they were a learner, they (were ment) have a full licence driver with them.

People in UK and NI have been getting CHARGED for changing to a full licence, and this is now occuring with ROI drivers now too.

So basically you're ripped off for being a learner and now with a full licence as well:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

yup. And you have to notify them when you get your licence, as if you dont disclose the information and if you had to claim, they can withhold the claim and cancel your policy for non-disclosure.

Once you renew, you will see a diff in your insurance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I pay monthly and i only passed last week what was i supposed to do pretend i had a full licence when i took out the policy??!

If you pay monthly just cancel the DD and get insured elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I paid for my policy in full when i took it out with Quinn, and was refunded over 300 euro when I passed my test.

Advertisement