Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen TV!!

Options
  • 26-06-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Ok here it goes bear with me…….

I have a holiday home which unfortunately I don’t use a lot so I decided to rent it out for a year or two. I spent a lot fitting it out and when I appointed the letting agent I told him not to waste his time showing it to any plonkers and ideally I want a couple / corporate let kinda thing I’ll wait for a decent tenants even if it never happens!

Nothing was happening for about two months (contacted him once didn’t even give him a pain) and I used the place once myself and friends used it another couple of times then suddenly I got a message on my phone to say your house is let (after I specifically said one weeks notice before anyone can move in and I was to approve any occupiers). So I rang him back to say what’s the story who are these people and he was to do nothing until I gave the go ahead he said fine I asked if he had copies of passports (non nationals which I have no problem with) to which he answered NO, have you past landlords reference NO, Bank Reference NO, Work Reference NO. So I told him that until all this was in front of me I would do nothing. So he went off to get the stuff.

My friend was in the area that day and I asked him to go in an take a few things out of my house as a letting might happen and he rang me back to say that someone had moved into my house, my LCD TV was gone (€1,700 worth) drunk all the beer in the fridge and had been smoking in the house. You can imagine my reaction.

I rang the agent to say what’s going on he said he only left them move there stuff in and never gave then a key but did leave them alone in the house for a few hours and the TV was there when he locked the house the night before. I said to him tell them to put my TV back and get out. They told him they didn’t take the TV I rang the guards they say it’s a matter between him and me, he says I can’t prove that someone else didn’t have a key to the house and it’s not his problem.

They moved their stuff out that afternoon and my TV is gone

What to do, any opinions!!!

Ps; sorry for the length!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

This is quite a situation you have.

It's a bit of a mess. Here are my thoughts:

The letting agent erred in letting people into the house at all if it had been agreed you were to get a say in who the tenants were. They also erred in not getting references of any sort (or any deposit?). No one should be allowed into your house to move stuff in if they've not been okay'ed by you, or paid the rent and deposit. The fact the agent left them in there "for a few hours" is actually hilarious (not for you I understand). What type of joker is this? Did he even get their names?

The agent tried to wash his hands of this, which they can't, because they at least facilitated the theft (and I wouldn't rule out that it was the agent who nicked the TV, this could be some sort of scam). They very obviously broke their obligations to you.

I also find the Gardai's response weak. There has been a theft. This isn't a dispute over a rental deposit or rent, which I understand they wouldn't want or can't get involved in. I'd go back to the Gardai and re-explain things and make sure they know this is theft/burglary.

As for where to go after this, I'm not sure. The Legal forum might be able to help. Complain to the agent's office or superior or their representative association (should they have one). I'm not sure if the Small Claims court is of any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Small claims court. He broke his contract with you. I'd send him an official letter detailing all your complaints. I think I'd also report the tv stolen and get a garda report as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Meathlass wrote: »
    Small claims court.
    Won't deal business to business.

Notify your insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RockCastle

Block policy on the scheme Furniture included electronics not!

Have that feeling I will be putting it down to a bad experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

RockCastle wrote: »
    Block policy on the scheme Furniture included electronics not!

Have that feeling I will be putting it down to a bad experience!

Block policy? Surely you have contents insurance on your premises too? If you don't have your contents insured, then you will have to put it down to a bad experience.

But, you should certainly go back to the Gardai about the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Did you contact the Guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RockCastle

I did ask a good while age were contents covered under the block policy and I was told they were but now that there is a clam it transpires that Furniture is but electronics is not.

In response to "Weyhey's" message I did speak to the guards and they said as there was no actual break in i.e. someone used a key then it was a civil matter between the letting agent and me.

You have no idea how odd he got when I gave him grief about it! All he wanted was a fee and run couldn't care who he put in the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Take the letting agent to court. Its the only option I can see. A bit of legal pressure would probably be enough to get compnensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I did speak to the guards and they said as there was no actual break in i.e. someone used a key then it was a civil matter between the letting agent and me.

So if someone left a window or a door open for a while and someone got in or if you had someone in doing work on your house and they stole something it would be a civil matter only? Seems a bit crazy and unfair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Weyhey wrote: »
    So if someone left a window or a door open for a while and someone got in or if you had someone in doing work on your house and they stole something it would be a civil matter only? Seems a bit crazy and unfair to me.

Had a guy break into our shed recently and sleep there, guards wouldn't move him, said it was a civil matter because the shed only wasn't locked with a lock/padlock...ofc to get into the garden he had to scale a 6ft wall but meh. So it does happen :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

taram wrote: »
    Had a guy break into our shed recently and sleep there, guards wouldn't move him, said it was a civil matter because the shed only wasn't locked with a lock/padlock...ofc to get into the garden he had to scale a 6ft wall but meh. So it does happen :(

thats not the same as stealing something from the shed though. the guards sound dead wrong on this - theft is theft. If someone steals your wallet from your bag is it no longer theft because your bag wasn't locked.

contact a solicitor - they may be able to raise it more forcefully with the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

after I specifically said one weeks notice before anyone can move in and I was to approve any occupiers
    You sign some type of contract with him about this? Verbal contract?
    he said he only left them move there stuff in and never gave then a key but did leave them alone in the house for a few hours
    So he let them in the house, without your permission, alone? Not your fault, as you never said they could move in in the first place, so I'd say the agency is liable. Talk to your solictor about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Mad country!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

worded wrote: »
    Mad country!

u said it worded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

I suppose count your blessings, if he cut himself scaling the wall he could claim against you. I hope you are feeding him :-)

Advertisement