Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tool

• 26-06-2008 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

I'm sure there are some fans here, i'm not an uber fan, but pretty close, seen them 4 times, met and chatted Justin, and briefly met Adam, both very nice guys, but would not in million years ever want to chat Maynard unless he dropped his whole "i'm a cnut" persona

I've been a fan since i saw the vid for sober on headbangers ball in 92, but opiate or undertow are my least listened to albums...they really came into their own since Aenima in my opinion. Not only do i love the music but also respect what they've done in terms of control of their career and art. I was not even let down by 10k days like others were (i mean they were never gonna top lateralus were they? it was just the right album at the right time) and think rosetta stoned of that album is one of their finest songs.

I also love how they may also be pulling the wool over everyones eyes with the whole tool mystery that the band propogate.

I think the best way to take this band is to take the music seriously but nothing else....opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

there songs sound all the same to me,but anima or watever its called is a good album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

:eek: Opiate and Undertow are class!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Enjoyed all their stuff. Only recently got into them and went on binge in HMV in Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Great band, pity 90% of their fanbase are elitist douches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

mp3guy wrote: »
    Great band, pity 90% of their fanbase are elitist douches.

Agreed. although admittedly i can be one of them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

met and chatted Justin, and briefly met Adam

:eek:

That's the first time I've used an emoticon. Words just couldn't convey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

God this is soo true, i feel like there are very few tool fans i can actually sit down and actually have a conversation with.

Still though tool are friggen savage, ever since i first saw the video for schisim i was hooked. Also am i the only one who thinks those videos are ****ing freaky(but in a good way)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

They are an incredible band. I never get sick of listening to any one of their albums. They must be due a new one in the next 12 months :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I also love how they may also be pulling the wool over everyones eyes with the whole tool mystery that the band propogate.

I think the best way to take this band is to take the music seriously but nothing else....opinions?

in general i would agree that the band try to push forward some sort of intelligent underbelly to their music that really doesn't exist. people will decide what that amazingly clever message is themselves because the band will never have to explain what they're on about.

having said that, i did genuinely feel that "lateralus" was an actual effort on the bands part to be smart, and it did work. even though i don't entirely buy the "holy gift" theory thing.

agreed, lateralus is them at the top of their game, and there's a lot to digest, but alternative running orders? I don't think so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

I like them because the drums and bass are so different to what other bands do. Lots of bands try to do songs with crazy timings and it never really works (I like Primus but they've been guilty of this in the past). Tool have managed to get this right a good few times (but not all the time), in terms of it actually sounding good.

The singer is sometimes a bit too, how can I put this- basically he's a bit up his own rear-end.

But you gotta respect a band who once had Bill Hicks as their support!

Was one of the band members a stand-up comedian at some point, or am I thinking of someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Anyone listening to any of A Perfect Circles stuff?. Not quite Tool but definitely worth a listen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

Tool are are one of my favourite bands...& to echo sentiments above, I hardly ever get bored listening to their music...especially 'Lateralus'...

Never really met a rabid Tool fan but perusing some of the Tool Fan sites, you can see that they are a breed onto themselves...

The US magazine Revolver dedicated an issue to them in May 2008 but could not obtain it anywhere in Dublin...anyone else have any success?

http://www.fourtheye.net/?p=1055

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Was one of the band members a stand-up comedian at some point, or am I thinking of someone else?

AFAIK Maynard tried his hand at stand up comedy and by his own admission he was awful.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Always listening to em, savage band!!!

slim chance of getting that revolver special ed. online order only for us paddys i'd say.

anyone ever see the tribute band the grudge play? got em to play for my birthday in fibbers a few years back, joined em for 2 songs too, the most intense concentration i've ever had just to pull off the songs (schism and lateralus)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I don't know about Perfect circle but I think Puscifer are terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

The guy wrote: »
    I don't know about Perfect circle but I think Puscifer are terrible.

I was so disappointed when I got that Puscifer album. Not what I was expecting at all ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah fan of tool, great band. Don't really care what their fans or they are like, good music. Great gig in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Yeah fan of tool, great band. Don't really care what their fans or they are like, good music. Great gig in dublin.

+1

Knew their gigs were visual-heavy, but wasn't expecting the laser show :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Love Tool, Lateralus is just an incredible album.
    The live shows are fantastic too - I've discovered it's nice to have the option to sit down at them though, and just enjoy the music and visuals.
    Danny Carey is ****ing unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'm not a huge fan, but I was given a ticket to their last Dublin gig (seated) and I was impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

great band. havent listened to them in a long time admittidly,Aenima is their best album in my opinion but Lateralus is quality,the song Lateralus is beautiful. best live band ive ever seen aswell,cant wait to see em again,gonna look to travel abroad even for it. ten thousand days didnt do much for me,good album but only good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

I'm a big fan and I love their stuff.
    I just don't understand why they didn't come to Ireland for the last tour after they went all around the world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Love Tool =)

Only started to like them about a year ago.. so obviously missed the Dublin gig. But made up for it going to see them in Manchester.. best gig ive ever been too!!

Love Aenema & Lateralus .. brill albums!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Yup, I love Tool but I only got into them over the past four years. Used to prefer A.P.C. as I was introduced to both bands at the same time but that went out the window after I actually sat down and listened to Lateralus fully. Love Aenima too and I think 10,000 Days is a great album. First time I listened to it, was a little disappointed but it grew on me really quickly and now I'd say I play it as much, if not more than the other two.
    Don't really give Opiate and Undertow much time though but the three later albums are so great that I don't think I'll ever get sick of them, there's just so much there in them.

If you're looking for something a bit different, check out this guy Adam Monroe on youtube, does a great Lateralus cover on the piano and also some cool A.P.C. covers (I think Orestes and 3 Libras are the better ones to check out).
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zOGCDc34m-4&feature=user

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Cheers for that OP

I remember hearing some stuff from them before but never got into them....until now that is. Just watched the video for Schism on youtube. Great guitar. They do sound like Queens of the Stone Age. Went to their website, they were touring up until the end of 07, played in the point in Nov 06. Cheers

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I love tool too. Lateralus + Aenima particularly.
    I saw them live too, at Ozzfest a while back and in the dublin point gig and all.
    I have to say they are one of the worst live bands I have ever seen.
    Musically, you cant fault them live. They play an album version of the song every single time.
    But that dick Maynard is one of the worst showmen I have ever seen.
    Fair enough, a nice laser light and video show, but no soul put into it whatsoever. Back half turned to the audience, going through the motions. God it was more boring than church. And the brownies never kicked in.

I'm sure there are some fans here, i'm not an uber fan, but pretty close, seen them 4 times, met and chatted Justin, and briefly met Adam, both very nice guys, but would not in million years ever want to chat Maynard unless he dropped his whole "i'm a cnut" persona

I've been a fan since i saw the vid for sober on headbangers ball in 92, but opiate or undertow are my least listened to albums...they really came into their own since Aenima in my opinion. Not only do i love the music but also respect what they've done in terms of control of their career and art. I was not even let down by 10k days like others were (i mean they were never gonna top lateralus were they? it was just the right album at the right time) and think rosetta stoned of that album is one of their finest songs.

Im insanely jealous as Id love to pick Justins brain, his use of effects is legendary. He's been a big influence in my bass playing.

I thought 10,000 days was feckin amazing. i thought it was a step forward from Lateralus (I LOVE Lateralus by the way) in terms of there was more to the overall sound (tablas in "Right In Two" for example had only really been heard before on the Live version of Pu****) and "The Pot" was awesome. i also agree that "Rosetta Stoned" is one of their best songs ever.

Hope they come back, their live experience is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

Advertisement