Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tool

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

mp3guy wrote: »
    Great band, pity 90% of their fanbase are elitist douches.
    So so true. It's one of the many reasons why I hate Metallica. The fan boys...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, and don't get me started on muslims... talk about die hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Them links were cool noloveinfear21 ... especially the video!! Had heard about the Fibonacci sequence being used in Lateralus but that video really helped to explain it!! Thank you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I think theyre probably a bit overrated tbh.
    They really only have one 5 star album, lateralus.

Aenima is too bogged down with stupid filler bits that really put me off it. Undertow i bought in about 1997 and only ever liked the singles off it. 10,000 days i thought was good at first but i cant even be bothered to listen to it now, got bored of it really fast. The best song on it is vicarious, after that its all downhill. Lateralus is fantastic tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

About a year ago i was shown 10,000 days and i feel in love with the album,but i just havent listened to the rest of their stuff yet. must get the other albums.

• Advertisement

they are over rated, but that's just because their fans consider maynard to be the second coming of leonard da vinci.. imo all four/five of their albums are still fantastic.

What fanboys think should not dictate how u feel about any bands music,. Anyone who gets into that rubbish isnt a true music fan for me, more of a poser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I love tool too. Lateralus + Aenima particularly.
    I saw them live too, at Ozzfest a while back and in the dublin point gig and all.
    I have to say they are one of the worst live bands I have ever seen.
    Musically, you cant fault them live. They play an album version of the song every single time.
    But that dick Maynard is one of the worst showmen I have ever seen.
    Fair enough, a nice laser light and video show, but no soul put into it whatsoever. Back half turned to the audience, going through the motions. God it was more boring than church. And the brownies never kicked in.

You obviously weren't watching/listening during Schism, since an extra bit was added before the quiet part in the middle.

And also that night they played was the birthday of Maynard's deceased mother. And you expected him to work the crowd like a mad man?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mp3guy wrote: »
    You obviously weren't watching/listening during Schism, since an extra bit was added before the quiet part in the middle.

And also that night they played was the birthday of Maynard's deceased mother. And you expected him to work the crowd like a mad man?

Two gigs.
    Years apart. Exact same thing. And who wouldnt watch tool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What fanboys think should not dictate how u feel about any bands music,. Anyone who gets into that rubbish isnt a true music fan for me, more of a poser.

This I'd agree with. I certainly think a lot of Tool fans can be very fanboyish to an extreme, but I still like the music. Honestly, it's the same with some of my favourite bands, I love Meshuggah but I won't step anywhere near their forums for fear of the ravenous fanboys.

• Advertisement

Two gigs.
    Years apart. Exact same thing. And who wouldnt watch tool?

And? They're not a jam band, their songs are very intricate in their structure so they have to stick to their structure so as not to lose all the time changes etc.

As for Maynard, i really dont care if he stand behind a curtain or if he jumps around the stage for 2 hours waving his arms, you should be there for the music. If u need that for a show to be "great" then maybe u should start going to pop gigs? The lights bring enough "show" to their live performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

the sequence in the song lateralus is deliberate, that re sequencing of the songs on the album is bollox imo.

And? They're not a jam band, their songs are very intricate in their structure so they have to stick to their structure so as not to lose all the time changes etc.

As for Maynard, i really dont care if he stand behind a curtain or if he jumps around the stage for 2 hours waving his arms, you should be there for the music. If u need that for a show to be "great" then maybe u should start going to pop gigs? The lights bring enough "show" to their live performances.

If you are just there for the music and not for how a band performs on the night to create a special show for fans and make it feel like its worth the entry fee then why not just stay at home and listen to the frigging cd?
    And if you think waving your arms manically for 2 hours makes a great front man, man...
    Well lets not go any further with this.
    Work away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

smurfy89 wrote: »
    Them links were cool noloveinfear21 ... especially the video!! Had heard about the Fibonacci sequence being used in Lateralus but that video really helped to explain it!! Thank you :D

No problem glad you enjoyed.
    the sequence in the song lateralus is deliberate, that re sequencing of the songs on the album is bollox imo.

Agreed.

Your resident elitest Tool fan

Your resident elitest Tool fan

fight you for it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

tool, superb. i'm a life long die hard fan and they're the best live act since sliced bread. APC i can take or leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

Daney Careys an amazing drummer, could listen to a tune or two but not a whole album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

I love Meshuggah but I won't step anywhere near their forums for fear of the ravenous fanboys.

agreed! meshuggah are as wonderful as their fans are terrifying :D

what about puscifer? a side project of tool.... any fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

what about puscifer? a side project of tool.... any fans?

Puscifer must be a joke. It has to be? Like the time he said he's quit tool because he found christ (turned out it was some homeless guy under a bridge).

"Dis laday got da thicknaass, can i get a witnaaasss" :confused:

i liked that song of theirs on the underworld sound track, rev... something or other, numbers I think.

• Advertisement

ok, i don't know what the hell you people are talking about.. listening to puscifier's album now and it's pretty excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

yeah momma sed and trekka are cool. Good to see he's capable of different stuff. Each side project different...or else it would be pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DaleZA

Check out this tool cover of Demon Cleaner by Kyuss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqcqskdNPqc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I absolutely love tool, all their albums too, but yeah a lot of the fans are complete *beeep*ing *beeep*astards! :P

Great music, but a WHOLE load of pretention about it. People will read insane meanings into any ambiguous lyrics!

R

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

+1 but i don't think you need to be unhinged to read into lyrics like
    'i have found some kind of temporary sanity from this sh*t, blood and come on my hands'!

And whats with the youtube fibonacci sequences on Lateralus and whatnot? Is that balls or not? I never really appreciated tool on a mathematical level. Though when learning the guitar parts you have to appreciate the strange time signatures.

And whats with the youtube fibonacci sequences on Lateralus and whatnot? Is that balls or not? I never really appreciated tool on a mathematical level. Though when learning the guitar parts you have to appreciate the strange time signatures.

As i mentioned previously, the fibonacci sequence in the song itself is quite obvious as that video shows, but a "holy gift" alternate track sequence? naah...that stretching it a bit.

the song does have some golden ratio parts to it, which is probably why it sounds so good!

Click to learn more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

could never get into them, while they're very technical their music just doesn't interest me, same with Rush.

Advertisement