Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Squad 08/09 Announced

• 26-06-2008 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

BACKS (15): Girvan Dempsey*, Rob Kearney*, Luke Fitzgerald*, Isa Nacewa (Auckland Blues), Shane Horgan*, Gary Brown*, Brian O’Driscoll*, Gordon D’Arcy*, Eoin O’Malley*, Fergus McFadden*, Jonathan Sexton*, Felipe Contepomi, Simon Keogh (Harlequins)*, Chris Whitaker, Chris Keane*

FORWARDS (19): Stan Wright, Stephen Knoop*, Ronan McCormack*, CJ Van Der Linde (Cheetahs / South Africa), Cian Healy*, Bernard Jackman*, John Fogarty (Connacht)*, Brian Blaney*, Malcolm O’Kelly*, Leo Cullen*, Devin Toner*, Trevor Hogan*, Cameron Jowitt*, Stephen Keogh*, Kevin McLaughlin*, Jamie Heaslip*, Sean O’Brien*, Shane Jennings*, Rocky Elsom (NSW Waratahs / Australia)

*Denotes Irish qualified

So the worst kept secret of CJ Van Der Linde and Rocky Elsom being signed, have officially been announced.

The squad looks good, with Simon Keough returning giving an option to cover SH more than likely, as the backline already looks formiddable with Nacewa being added, and Sexton and Fitzgerald coming of age.

In the forwards, the obvious addition of Rocky and CJ give Leinster a serious edge to an already healthy forward lineup. Much will depend on Shane Jennings making the openside flanker position his own.

Also coming in is John Fogarty, which gives us a 3rd hooker option with Jackman and Blaney.

Things are looking seriously good for Leinster with the new additions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Delighted for Sean O'Brien, think he has a very bright future. He's a lovely guy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

That squad's looking great. Here's hoping for another Magner's and a real stab at the HC. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Impressive strength in depth, expecting a big season outta Leinster this year, touch wood...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

*drools*

I`m telling ya, imo that´s as good a squad as you´ll see anywhere in Europe. Some guys in the twilight of their career, a couple of world cup winners in there, some young guys coming through, highley established internationals in every position and lots of options for every position 1 to 15 (the dreaded injury plauge at Leinster shouldn´t cause the serious problems anymore...touch wood) with Rocky also able to cover second row and Toner and Keogh already covering there also.

Keogh is a massive signing imo, there wasn´t much mention of it when the sqaud was announced, but with whitts probably in his last season, this guy brings quality and tonnes of experience to the no.9 slot with Keane still to prove himself at this level and suprisingly no O´Donohe on a full contract yet, Keogh is the obvious replacment.

Van der Linde is a monster in the scrum and is like keith wood on acid in the loose, when you thought Le Roux would be tough boots to fill, this guy comes in and is a world cup winning, world class prop and should be another great season for the front 3. (we have good depth there now with Fogarty coming in there now too).

Rocky is a classic work horse in the backrow and the Rocky, Jennings, Heaslip combo is a formidable one.

Isa coming into the backline adds to the coming of Kearney over the last season, Fitzgerald showing real promise and Sexton really stepping up to the plate, along with all the usual suspects, that is an awesome backline options and if everyone is fit, there´s two massive impact players to come in off the bench for the backline whoever it ends up losing out.

I´m really excited about this squad, I think the absolute quality Cheika has brought in from SH is worth the signings and the depth he´s added in all the right places, we are due a massive season, and with this squad, please god, it´s here!!

Roll on next season and I´m hoping for big things. If we step up early in the groups and get off to a good start, who´s to rule out a glorious double?? (Getting too much ahead of myself?)

:D

[edit] also, just read on the Leinster website that season ticket sales are already nearing 8,000. With these signings i think the landmark of 10,000 is not out of the question....fingers crossed, that would be brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

From a munster perspective i've got to say that i'm envious of the signings that leinster have made, i mean rocky elsom was one of the players of the super 14 last season and he's just quality in every aspect of his game. really is very impressive. and Van der Linde is one of the best props in the world game.

My only wonder in all these signings is how much money is being payed to these players because they have to be on some very healthy contracts.

when you look at the good youngsters in the team too, its looking very bright. If ya just don't feck about in the HC like ye normally do i could see ye on for the big double which really would be putting that nearly man tag to bed haha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Tom10 wrote: »
    My only wonder in all these signings is how much money is being payed to these players because they have to be on some very healthy contracts.

Leinster have had bumper crowds all season so their coffers are pretty full.

I'm absolutely delighted with that squad, it should be capable of putting up a real challenge for both competitions. The calibre of player who will have to miss out on even a place in the 22 is ridiculous! I picked a ****ty year to not be in the country to watch Leinster :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thecoolfreak

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Leinster have had bumper crowds all season so their coffers are pretty full.

I'm absolutely delighted with that squad, it should be capable of putting up a real challenge for both competitions. The calibre of player who will have to miss out on even a place in the 22 is ridiculous! I picked a ****ty year to not be in the country to watch Leinster :(

Same here. Will be away in London doing a Masters for the year and can't renew my season ticket. At least I'll catch a few games at home and i'll get to a few of the away games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Amz wrote: »
    Delighted for Sean O'Brien, think he has a very bright future. He's a lovely guy too.

lol, you obv dont know him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Not on a hugely personal basis no, but he helped me out a few times on a coaching course when he could have behaved like some of the total and utter **** that were there and he didn't, and I'm be grateful for that, so I wish him well.

He could easily have acted like a wanker based on his experience and standard, some of the twats there could learn a thing or two about manners and decent behaviour from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i beleive O'Brien has also signed up with Clontarf for next season, think he's from the same town as Jackman.
    Great squad, wouldnt be holding my breath with Keogh at sh though, think O'Donoghue is a far better prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Yes indeed you are right O Brien and Jackman are from the same area ! Sean O Brien is from the club set up(Prob why he is so down to earth) and from what i have heard he is a fantastic prospect! on another note what happened to Christian Warner? his name was not on squad? has he moved on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

no need for warner in the squad if we have McFadden & o'Mally trying to break through, we've enough quality younger backs capable of holding their own at ML level so there's no point having the likes of warner holding them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

i was just wondering what happened to him !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

So with a squad that strong how many Leinster fans have booked tickets for the final in Edinburgh next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I'm as giddy as a school girl. A full strength team from this squad has the potential to beat any team in europe. Absolutely brilliant signings in all the right spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Any thoughts on a possible HC matchday 22 then folks?

Heres what I'd LIKE to see, although some of these calls are highly unlikely to happen:
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Bernard Jackman
    3. CJ Van Der Linde
    4. Leo Cullen
    5. Rocky Elsom
    6. Stephen Keogh
    7. Shane Jennings
    8. Jamie Heaslip
    9. Chris Whitaker
    10. Johnny Sexton
    11. Isa Nacewa
    12. Felipe Contepomi
    13. Luke Fitzgerald
    14. Shane Horgan
    15. Rob Kearney

16. John Fogarty (I don't rate Blaney, at all)
    17. Stan Wright (can cover both sides)
    18. Malcolm O'Kelly
    19. Sean O'Brien (Elsom covering 6 and 8)
    20. Nacewa/D'arcy (Conters covering 10)
    21. Simon Keogh
    22. Brian O'Driscol

I'd say we'll see something more like the following for big matches:
    1. Stan Wright
    2. Bernard Jackman
    3. CJ Van Der Linde
    4. Leo Cullen
    5. Malcolm O'Kelly
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. Shane Jennings
    8. Jamie Heaslip
    9. Chris Whitaker
    10. Isa Nacewa
    11. Luke Fitzgerald
    12. Felipe Contepomi
    13. Brian O'Driscoll
    14. Shane Horgan
    15. Rob Kearney

16. Brian Blaney
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Trevor Hogan
    19. Stephen Keogh
    20. Johnny Sexon
    21. Simon Keogh
    22. Gordon D'Arcy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Further thoughts:

- Does anyone see a place for Girv at all other than a squad player? Surely Kearney is without doubt a shoe-in at FB now.. and I don't see Girv getting ahead of the likes of D'arcy or Nacewa for a bench spot..

- The real question for this season is what our best 10-12-13 combination is.. obviously there will be experimentation, but what do people think we could see in big HC matches? Consider some of the options (I think BOD and D'arcy will be reversed this year back to their old spots at 12 and 13 respectively, where IMO they are much better suited)

10. Sexton
    12. Conters/Nacewa
    13. Fitz/D'arcy
    (^ my personal favourite choice, performed great this year... Fitz will be finishing tries like theres no tomorrow outside these 2.. Sexton plays right on the gain line and is a sublime passer, while Conters is one of the best playmakers in the world)

10. Conters
    12. BOD/Nacewa
    13. Fitz/D'arcy

10. Nacewa
    12. Conters/BOD
    13. D'arcy/Fitz

Any thoughts? And what are peoples opinions on playing Elsom as a lock, given that we are somewhat short in that area... whereas I'd consider Jennings, O'Brien and Keogh sufficient as flankers..

- What about Fitz on the wing? Is he destined to stay on the wing for another season, or will he get a shot at 13?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Great squad for next year, anyone an idea as to when the development and academy guys are announced. I hope Felix Jones is getting a dev contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Amz wrote: »
    Not on a hugely personal basis no, but he helped me out a few times on a coaching course when he could have behaved like some of the total and utter **** that were there and he didn't, and I'm be grateful for that, so I wish him well.

He could easily have acted like a wanker based on his experience and standard, some of the twats there could learn a thing or two about manners and decent behaviour from him.

Ah I'm only joking, he is a nice guy, he is very different on the pitch though. should have put a smiley in earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Glad to see young talent getting the nod ahead of berne and warner..Gomez had to be the biggest flop of the season. Anyone know any signings for the ail 1st division teams, clontarf are going to do well to find a replacement half as good as keatley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Gomez was pretty bad alright, just didn't make the move from amateur to professional rugby. His fitness levels were shocking though, and being dropped 12 months into a 2 year contract was the right decision.

I'm looking forward to the new season, does anyone know when it kicks off?

I know Leinster have the Queensland Reds in Donnybrook soon as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HD Video Ref

Academy new recruits 2008
    Tom Sexton Belvedere hooker
    Gary Foley CBC Monkstown inside and outside centre, right wing
    Ian McKinley St Columbas out half

Sub Academy
    Michael Keating Belvedere right wing and full back
    Nermin Lovic Belvedere tight and loose head prop
    Graham Flanagan Terenure scrum half
    Ian O'Neill St Marys right wing possible scrum half
    Jack McGrath St Marys tight and loose head prop
    Dominic Ryan Gonzaga open and blind side flanker

I think there are 2 others to be nominated to the Sub Academy, not sure of names yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Sub Academy
    Ian O'Neill St Marys right wing possible scrum half

I think there are 2 others to be nominated to the Sub Academy, not sure of names yet.
    No players from the youth system. Yes lads who get coached 4 times a week are always going to look better than lads who get coached 1 - 2 times a week. But are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Where did you get the academy contracts from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Sub Academy
    Ian O'Neill St Marys right wing and possible scrum half

Ian O'Neill is not a possible scrumhalf at all and maybe I am wrong but I was under the impression both Jack McGrath and Nermin Lovic made the academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HD Video Ref

Ian O'Neill is not a Scrum Half - that I am aware of, but he does display both the skill set necessary and the physical attributes to convert to that position (with the appropiate coaching of course).

Remember Lomu started as a flanker

Just cause some youth players aren't included doesn't mean that they aren't good enough - it just means that they haven't either been identified yet or are not at a stage of development that would allow them to enter the academy at this time.

There will always be late bloomers, which has been proven time and time again.

Lovic and McGrath deserve to be in the academy proper imo, maybe after the interpros they will be upgraded - who knows.

I know that the academy can't contain absolutely everybody who should be there at any one time, there has to be a gradual progress through the scheme in order for it to have a cost effective output for both the leinster and ireland set-up.

Funkstard wrote: »
    Where did you get the academy contracts from?

I heard that Foley and Sexton got acadamy from a guy in the know. Apparently a few more CBC lads got sub acadamy too. Great to see McKinley there, from a small school and he's a real prospect for out half or 1st centre. Its normal for there to be maybe only one or two players going direct to the acadamy, this year there's a better standard of player going in than last year so there's more. Its a huge achievment to go into the acadamy straight of. Sub acadamy do much the same work as far as i know, just without the pay.
    No players from the youth system. Yes lads who get coached 4 times a week are always going to look better than lads who get coached 1 - 2 times a week. But are they?

i think i heard that a club player will get sub acadamy.

Who got development contracts does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Who else from CBC is on the list so?

Funkstard wrote: »
    Who else from CBC is on the list so?

Not sure tbh but was talking to a mate in the acadamy this year and he told me about Foley and Sexton, not sure who got sub acadamy but i know there is more. I dont think they announce sub acadamy actually, there probably will be a few from this year moving up to full status. The acadamy lost Fionn Carr and keatley, some will move on and others up to development and full contracts. There could be more than 5 new guys into the acadamy system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Getting Elsom was a great idea.
    Top class player.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mousey007

it looks like a petty good squad for the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mousey007

Elsom is world class,he's badly needed after Gleeson's loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

mousey007 wrote: »
    Elsom is world class,he's badly needed after Gleeson's loss

He's a completely different player to Glesson so i dunno how your making the comparison Elsom is a ball carrier and overall good work rate man he is NOT a seven people.

We are doing the SH such a big favour buying all these imports the more we buy the stronger they get the weaker we get.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Stev_o wrote: »
    He's a completely different player to Glesson so i dunno how your making the comparison Elsom is a ball carrier and overall good work rate man he is NOT a seven people.

Elsom is replacing Jennings who is replacing Gleeson would be a better way of putting it.

Advertisement