Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base Layers..

Options
  • 26-06-2008 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭

Lads and Lassies,

I've been meaning to get some base layers for a while so yesterday I bought one of those Skins tops, I'm not sure what to make of it, I found a bit hard to breathe in it, however that may have been due to the 25 mile an hour wind I was riding into last night.

What do others use ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I have a Craft s/s one I picked up in Cycleways, it's warm and comfy... no problems with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 skim

low alpine dry flows get them in an outdoor shop and i wouldnt wear anythin else they take the sweat away from the body and it actually works ive tried does skin ones and didnt like them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Helly Hansen base layers are good too but they don't have the long flap at the back. I have an Altura base which is good, oh also have a Nike (skin) one too which is my fav but it's l/s. Sometimes I just use a s/s jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hugejeans

Skins base layers are compression fit to help improve performance, I dont think they are designed specifically to keep you warm. That might also be why you found it harder to breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

I have a Craft s/s one I picked up in Cycleways, it's warm and comfy... no problems with it!

they got a good review in cycling plus last month

personally if its a bit colder ill wear a long sleve jersey or a jacket if its really cold.
    most jerseys are breathable anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

ive Nike, OB Sport and canterbury ones and i dont think i'd train without them now. ive heard good things about the skins tho was thinkin of buying one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I usually just use Canterbury or my rowing skins which are similar but are slightly more cottony. Never had any problems with breathing restriction...sure you aren't cycling around with an XXS??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

hugejeans wrote: »
    Skins base layers are compression fit to help improve performance, I dont think they are designed specifically to keep you warm. That might also be why you found it harder to breathe.

The bumpf says that they work to keep you cool, wicking away moisture from the body yadda yadda, I was getting fed up of wearing cotton tee shirts under jerseys.

I usually just use Canterbury or my rowing skins which are similar but are slightly more cottony. Never had any problems with breathing restriction...sure you aren't cycling around with an XXS??:eek:

Nah, I'm cycling with a meduim which by all indicators (chest size, tee shirt size) should fit me, maybe like I say it was the compression and the wind last night, looking out now at it p*ssing rain think I might do an hour on the roller this evening instead of going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I use a canterbury one, fine for cycling but can get a bit hot playing football. Very handy thing to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

I get mine in Decathlon in England or France they are only around €10.00 each and are just as good as the named brands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I have an Altura long sleeve and Nike DriFit tights. No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

I wear a long sleeved base layer from the Helly Hansen 'Dry' range. Very comfortable, great moisture wicking, no need for arm warmers and yet I never seem to get too hot. Wears very well too - I have just two of them and despite being rinsed out after every use for almost two years, are still in perfect condition. As the other poster has said, they don't have the long cycling-specific flap at the back. But this really isn't such an issue if you wear bib shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Muller_1 wrote: »
    I get mine in Decathlon in England or France they are only around €10.00 each and are just as good as the named brands.

Have they an online store, are they just decathlon branded or what ?
    cantalach wrote: »
    I wear a long sleeved base layer from the Helly Hansen 'Dry' range. Very comfortable, great moisture wicking, no need for arm warmers and yet I never seem to get too hot. Wears very well too - I have just two of them and despite being rinsed out after every use for almost two years, are still in perfect condition. As the other poster has said, they don't have the long cycling-specific flap at the back. But this really isn't such an issue if you wear bib shorts.

I wouldn't be using anything else other than bib shorts to be fair..
    penexpers wrote: »
    I have an Altura long sleeve and Nike DriFit tights. No complaints.

Must have a look for some of these so ! Been looking at Rugbystore.co.uk for canterbury stuff there and it's not badly priced at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Junior wrote: »
    Have they an online store, are they just decathlon branded or what ?

Think the brand is called kalenji actually get them in the running section in Decathlon but they are great and very cheap. Don't think you can buy online I usually stock up when in UK or France have a look at the link http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/deefuz-1000-mixed-29281044/

Advertisement