Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout, wrong indication question

Options
  • 26-06-2008 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all, ok this has happend twice to me within the last several months. Im sat at the entry to the roundabout, theres one car on it approaching from my right so Im waiting for it to pass. It indicates before my turn where Im sitting waiting so I start to creep out slowly to go but the car DOESNT turn at my entry point (his indicated exit point) and instead keeps going to the next turn off. He/She indicated too soon and so I could have plowed into him/her only for I was going so slowly.

Now should i have waited until I 100% knew the intention of the driver regardless to where he/she was indicating or was I right to proceed (but proceed with caution) as as far as I was concerned I was free to go.

Hope that made sense. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You should wait until you are 100% sure they are either turning off, or proceeding past you and onwards. You're not 'free to go' just because they're indicating one thing, they may do something entirely different. This is particulary true at roundabouts in this country where it seems approx. 75% of people either do not know how to indicate their intentions correctly on a roundabout, or do not indicate at all.

An indicator is just that, it's not a definite statement that this IS what the person will do. Think about the times you may have seen people driving down a straight road with one indicator blinking away, or seen someone make a turn without indicating at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fashioncookie

I know what you mean Urban Angel. Happens all the time, some don't even bother to indicate, some indicate early/late and some just indicate wrong, so I just don't trust indicators anymore. But that's all it is, a 'signal' of their intention, so it doesn't necessarily mean they will actually follow through with their intention. Best be safe and hold back until you can see clearly where they are exiting. But what annoys me is drivers behind me who continuously beep, as in urging me to go out and get myself plowed into even if some eejit to the right is indicating all over the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 urban-angel1

You should wait until you are 100% sure they are either turning off, or proceeding past you and onwards. You're not 'free to go' just because they're indicating one thing, they may do something entirely different. This is particulary true at roundabouts in this country where it seems approx. 75% of people either do not know how to indicate their intentions correctly on a roundabout, or do not indicate at all.

An indicator is just that, it's not a definite statement that this IS what the person will do. Think about the times you may have seen people driving down a straight road with one indicator blinking away, or seen someone make a turn without indicating at all.
    I know what you mean Urban Angel. Happens all the time, some don't even bother to indicate, some indicate early/late and some just indicate wrong, so I just don't trust indicators anymore. But that's all it is, a 'signal' of their intention, so it doesn't necessarily mean they will actually follow through with their intention. Best be safe and hold back until you can see clearly where they are exiting. But what annoys me is drivers behind me who continuously beep, as in urging me to go out and get myself plowed into even if some eejit to the right is indicating all over the place!

Thanks guys. Ok I getcha, indicate just means "I intend" to turn, not "yes Im am 100% turning at this point". I know what THEY are doing is just not paying attention or being indecisive but I should give them enough time to 'change their mind' without going. Ok next time I will just sit back and make sure Im 100% free to go. I got a bit of a fright when I realised the car from the right kept coming my way so that'll teach me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As has been said - never depend on an indicator light alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even at a T-junction where you can turn either left or right and you see a car coming from your right with indicator on for turning into your road.

If there is a risk of collision if you drive out, wait until you see the car actually slowing/turning before moving out onto the straight road.
    Waiting costs nothing compared to what could happen if he does not turn and instead rams into your door full speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

indicate just means "I intend" to turn
    It can also mean:
    "I don't know where I'm going?"
    "How do you turn on the wipers?"
    "Help, I'm having trouble sending a text message!"

I've only been learning for a short time, but already I'm amazed at what some people do.

Advertisement