Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Smiths Extra Smooth Bitter

Options
  • 26-06-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if this fine specimen is available in any of the offys in Sligo? Had a pint of it in Landon recently and it was lovely stuff, as is Boddingtons.

Any help appreciated.

Willing to travel too :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

:eek:
    Don't know but I hope you can't!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi OP

Hey I think Gillie put Boddingtons/John Smith down in another thread. I for one, like yourself, really like the stuff. Started drinking it in Bolton/Manchester. Really nice, really sweet. I think most of the bars in Sligo town have Boddingtons in can, if you ask them they should have it. Try the Belfry bar downstairs. I asked about Johnner and they don't have it on tap. We should look into it more closely. It is popular, however Smithwicks is more popular here, similar in taste but not as creamy. Smithwicks can be very flat, depending on where you get it. You could try and order online.

Witherspoons bar in Enniskillen may have it. I got it once before there. Barracuda definitely have it, and Ikon aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Just top a pint of Smithwicks up with some water?:rolleyes::pac: Only joking. All beer is good beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Have you lads not been down to foleys yet?They have just about everything-they even sell absinthe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

And Kopparberg cider. Lovely stuff. They have the pear flavoured one in Velvet (the lady who owns it is Swedish) but the apple is much nicer. And the berry flavoured is like sparkly Ribena (until you fall over). They've got stuff like "Speckled Hen" brown ale as well. Great selection.

No I haven't, we must give it at a try sometime. What do you think? Sounds very promising. I heard live music is very good there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Just wondering if anyone has seen John Smiths recently.
    Since posting I've looked everywhere including Asda in Enniskillen with nil joy.

Did you try Tesco in town? Also maybe Foley's off licence in Castle St, they stock quite a good bit of beers/ales you normally wouldn't get on tap here. Hope the search works out for you because I know how you feel. Tracking them down here is time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Have you lads not been down to foleys yet?They have just about everything-they even sell absinthe!

Its the fall over drunk absinthe, not the fall over drunk and wake up in a different dimension absenthe

?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well if you are willing to go to Europe for the fall into a different dimension stuff fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Well if you are willing to go to Europe for the fall into a different dimension stuff fair enough.

Just saying it because people buy it here and then wonder what all the fuss is about (apart from themonster hangovers):D

Were John Smith not taken over recently? supposed to have changed the flavour of it, just kept the name, had a manc telling me recently
    Was it John Smiths or other one?

Not sure.
    I tried Foleys, but alas the girl behind the counter never even heard of it....!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Okells Bitter is quality - only available in the Isle of Man

Asda sell it in Enniskillen in cans but no t in a case!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

il gatto wrote: »
    And Kopparberg cider. Lovely stuff. They have the pear flavoured one in Velvet

I realise I'm replying to a really old thread here, but they only sell the long neck bottles of Koppenberg in Velvet, and charge an arm and a leg for them (more expensive than the pint bottles in most pubs in town).

Tesco in Ballina have it at €1.30 per can but they dont sell it in cases unless you order it with them.Tesco in Sligo will have it on their shelves in 6 to 8 weeks.I contacted Beamish through the John Smiths website and they gave me that information!

I'm off to Ballina for a spin at the weekend!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Why were you drinking NORTHERN beer in London?
    You should have tried Fuller, Smith & Turner (I recommend their ESB) from Chiswick or Youngs of Wandsworth, both available in Enniskillen. :)

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Asda sell it in Enniskillen in cans but no t in a case!

Flippin great.
    It wasn't there last time, but fricking yay if it is now.
    Gonna spin up soon.

Tesco in Ballina have it at €1.30 per can but they dont sell it in cases unless you order it with them.Tesco in Sligo will have it on their shelves in 6 to 8 weeks.I contacted Beamish through the John Smiths website and they gave me that information!

I'm off to Ballina for a spin at the weekend!!!:)

Just read this now too.
    Fair play to ya Zorro.
    Happy days all round.

• Advertisement

Castlebar stock it as well!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Castlebar stock it as well!:)

and Westport:)

What about Tesco in Carrick on Shannon, their reasonably close. Would they stock it?

I tried Tesco in Castlebar a few weeks ago and they did'nt stock it.

If anybody spots it in Sligo,let us know here,please!

I got 45 cans in Enniskillen. £20!!!!

Has Tesco started to stock this yet?

Advertisement