Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do with sage (lots of sage)

• 26-06-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I'm growing herbs, and though they're all doing well, the sage is doing ridiculously well and I feel a bit guilty about not using more of it. I use it in soups (especially this watercress and sage soup: http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2004/10/watercress_and_fresh_sage_soup.php), but apart from that I'm a bit short of ideas.

Any suggestions? What goes particularly well with sage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

make stuffing - fantastic with lots of sage and you can freeze it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Anything pork-ey goes well with sage. You could make your own saussies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Sage and walnut pesto - american recipe so the quantities are in cups.

2 cups packed fresh sage leaves
    2 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tsp seasalt
    Black pepper to taste
    1 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1/2 cup Parmaesan cheese

Blitz in a food processor and dress into pasta. This works well rotini pasta

I think I have a crack at this tonight as our sage is starting to get out of hand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sage butter. Simple to make, you can freeze it and makes a very fast, tasty dish when severed over pasta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Old Wives Tale Time…

Give sage to any family or friends that may have “unwanted presences” (eg, ghosties & ghoulies) in their homes. Hang a small bunch over each entrance to the house.

Don’t give sage to pregnant women, as the sage may have a similar affect on the child as it would on the “unwanted presences”.

I really should just stick to the cooking…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Parma ham and sage baked monkfish.

Absolutely delish. Actually it would probably work with most white fish. Just wrap the fillets in a few sage leaves and a slice of parma ham and bake.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭paddyenglishman

I am just back from Lago del Iseo in Italy and i was served the nicest Sage Raviola ever .They deep fried the sage leaves as a garnish and they were delicious . The filling of the Raviola was excellent but i am clueless as to what was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭DenMan

As you know sage goes well with all poultry. A nice chicken chasseur maybe?, or chicken Maryland? I added sage to the mince when I cooked it and it turned out delicious. really complimented the onions, garlic and peppers. Give it a try and see what happens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I second this, delicious! With some rosemary and thyme too.....ooh lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

:) Maybe I'll make all the stuffing for the year now then. 'Course, I'm a vegetarian, but I'm sure I can find things to stuff!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭paddyenglishman

http://food.ivillage.com/recipefinder/display/0,,s6qx,00.html

This is the dish they served me in ~Italy . It tastes delicious .but if you are a vegetarian its not for you .Anyone got any useful tips for making the ravioli stick together ? i used some fresh egg tesco lasagne sheets to try this recipe but it was an unmitigated disaster .so i ended up making taglitelle with it and using it up with the filling poured on top. it was very nice but i would like to make the real deal .also i have a glut of courgettes which when cooked in the excess sage butter were damn fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Pumpkin/Squash ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

yeah my sage is the same its totally out of all proportion.... The butter is a good idea becuse you can do anitpasta and ciabatta with sage butter.... yoummy

Advertisement