Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9800GX2 or GTX280?

Options
  • 26-06-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Going to be getting a new graphics card and wondering which would be the best buy. I'm not going to have this card installed on an SLI mobo so that's out of the window. It will also need to run games at 1980x1200.

I was set on the GTX280 until I read this review which says 9800GX2 is pretty much better at everything.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/gpu_displays/nvidia_gtx_280_performance_revealed_-_msi_n280gtx/1

Without SLI support is there any point getting the GTX280 over the GX2? Considering the GX2 is actually cheaper :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

9800GX2;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Nforce wrote: »
    9800GX2;)

but i'm torn... I mean the GX2 will perform great in games with dual card support but what about games that don't support it? Would the GTX280 be better in this instance?

I don't understand though why Nvidia are charging more for a less powerful card than the GX2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

You should read flaccus post in the other 280gtx (sorry its the 4850 thread) thread. It basically says that at very high resolutions the gtx pulls away from the gx2. I dont think any reviews have said that the gx2 is 'way' better. I'd also 'hope' that with drivers the new gtx will get better. 'hope'. Do you need to change right away if you can wait a little for new drivers it'd be worth it just to know for sure.

Man if they had just stuck some ddr5 on the gtx there'd be no question, oh well.

Post number ten here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56323132#post56323132

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

L31mr0d wrote: »
    don't really want crossfire or SLI.

it preforms well without crossfire in some games it beats the gtx280

well no I don't need it right away as i've got a spare PC and most of my gaming is on the PS3 for the moment *cough*MGS4 and GTA4*cough*

But i'd like to get it up and running again, so next month i'll be buying a new motherboard for it and wanted to throw a graphics card onto the order. The GTX280 just looks too expensive for the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

great wrote: »
    it preforms well without crossfire in some games it beats the gtx280

Too true. Going by the thread title I thought this thread was started pre the Radeon DH 4870 release. Once the ATI card was available I never thought anyone would want to buy the GTX280 especially going by the below and other reviews:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14990/1

In a lot of cases the 4870 beats the GTX280 at your resolution and when you consider the price difference there is no contest. However if you need to buy an Nvidia card, I would go with the 9800GX2, its still a good deal. And if you want the best performance and if you are patient I would wait for the 4870 x2.

God I hate to see people send that much on a GTX280, you would get a whole new subsystem instead. Just think of the starving childern in Africa ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I just ordered a HD4870 today from hdv.de for 235e, available cheaper elsewhere if ya look. Best bang for buck gpu ATM, be buying another in a few weeks when the price drops.

Edit, I'd just like to add that if you can wait the HD4870x2 will be out soon and is looking like its goin to be a beast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

WEST wrote: »
    Just think of the starving childern in Africa ;)

Send them your old graphics cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Going to be getting a new graphics card and wondering which would be the best buy. I'm not going to have this card installed on an SLI mobo so that's out of the window. It will also need to run games at 1980x1200.

I was set on the GTX280 until I read this review which says 9800GX2 is pretty much better at everything.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/gpu_displays/nvidia_gtx_280_performance_revealed_-_msi_n280gtx/1

Without SLI support is there any point getting the GTX280 over the GX2? Considering the GX2 is actually cheaper :confused:

Bare in mind flaccus posted this a while back....
    Flaccus wrote: »

Having said all that benches are not everything, and I read with interest what this person had to say about the GTX 280's superior bandwidth and extra memory against a GX2 which he also owns :
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=17888181

Although lots of sites are showing the GTX 280 being beaten out by the GX2 this person found :

> Certain games now have quicker loading times, especially Unreal Engine 3 based games (like Mass Effect, about 50% faster loading)

> More complex games with high res textures have less random paulsing, from things caused by hard drive paging and so on (Oblivion, Mass Effect, Crysis and so on...)

Personally would go with 4780 or a cheap GTX260 (€320)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The GTX definitely pulls away at very high resolutions and with AA enabled, but only really at incredibly high resolutions, not even ones like 1920x1200 which in itself is a very minority used resolution. It's not appreciable by the vast majority of people planning on even a high end card....like in some reviews, at 1680x1050 w/AA GX2 and GTX280 perform neck and neck - yet drive that up to 2560x1600 w/AA and the GTX280 can, in some games, absolutely dominate. Remember in one of the early magazine reviews, in one test, the GTX280 was 14-15 times faster then the GX2 at 2560x1600 with full AA. But how many people game at that resolution....

Though it would be far better then a GX2, seeing as it's a single card and not relying on multi-gpu support in a given game...

But it really seems at the moment that even as a single card, the HD4870 is the best option available by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Either get HD4870 or wait for HD4870x2

All the reviews I have seen, show €240 HD4870 being 15% slower than GTX 280, can you live with that?

dgdsjlc7gt0ms5lygd2i.png

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192421

Ordered one myself yesterday, plus E8400 and 2gb pc 6400, for €100 less than GTX 280

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1344930/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-4870-512-mo-gdd.html

what's the release date of the HD4870x2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

what's the release date of the HD4870x2?

Late Aug/ early Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Late Aug/ early Sept

yeah , they may have a way of it sharing memory across the 2 cores with a new thing called the crossfire sideport or something , it will be interesting , anyway
    the 4870 really is the way to go , with less heat and noise and power consumption than the 280 its a safe bet , with the money saved you can buy a nice Hr-03 and it seems to really do the trick , the hr-03 from the 3870's will fit it like a sock.PALITHD4870-84.jpg

power play isnt working just yet on the new cards , and thats why it seems to run hot / use more power cause it doesnt auto clock down when not in 3d , their working on new drivers/bio's to correct this

l31m, what's your current setup. I just went for the 4870 but i really need a new card as i have an x1950pro so i'm looking forward to seeing some kick ass improvements. If you've got 8800gtx or similar i'd really wait for the 4870x2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I think the 4870 is a good bet too. Maybe wait a little while for the 1gig one ?

I have spoken to people that have them and even at idle the fan is a bit whiney. The GTX 280 wins out in this regard and has some superb power management. Very quiet when idle. Both cards in my opinion are noisy when gaming though, but at least with the 4870 that can be quickly sorted with a HR-03-GT. But that may then limit your ability to go crossfire due to the sheer size of some of these aftermarket coolers.

Also another minus on the the GTX 280 is that it is suffering from downclock issues in some games, thanks to the new power saving modes they added..this is believed to be caused by the drivers. The card can clock down to 300mhz during periods in a game where there is not much going on, only for it to stutter when trying to clock back up. Only a few games have this issue. And Nvidia/EVGA are working on a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I think the 4870 is a good bet too. Maybe wait a little while for the 1gig one ?

I have spoken to people that have them and even at idle the fan is a bit whiney. The GTX 280 wins out in this regard and has some superb power management. Very quiet when idle. Both cards in my opinion are noisy when gaming though, but at least with the 4870 that can be quickly sorted with a HR-03-GT. But that may then limit your ability to go crossfire due to the sheer size of some of these aftermarket coolers.

Also another minus on the the GTX 280 is that it is suffering from downclock issues in some games, thanks to the new power saving modes they added..this is believed to be caused by the drivers. The card can clock down to 300mhz during periods in a game where there is not much going on, only for it to stutter when trying to clock back up. Only a few games have this issue. And Nvidia/EVGA are working on a fix.

gig version comming early in july , ones been spotted pre order on the 8th of july , you can wrap the hr-03 around one of the cards so crossfire isnt a problem.

don't know if I can wait till the end of august though, at latest I want to have my main system up and running by the end of July.

So for a system that's going to watercooled and pretty much left alone for the next ~6 months at least should I go for the 4870, GX2 or 280?

Which one overclocks the best also? As whichever card I choose is going to have a PE120.2 rad all to itself.

• Advertisement

I just bought 1 of each so will let you know next week :D

I just bought 1 of each so will let you know next week :D

why did you buy a 4870, GX2 and a 280?

4870 and GTX.

Already have GX2's and anyone on EVGA forums who has had both the GX2 and a GTX has reported that the GTX feels much smoother in gaming despite benches showing the GX2 ahead in some areas In fact if you look at reviews like Anandtech they show 2x8800gt cards in sli (current setup) matching and even beating a GX2 and a GTX. But most of these sites use canned benches and don't talk about microstuttering in sli, how the framrate varies during the game, or what happens when a card with a ddr3 memory and 256bit bus/512meg ram reaches it's limit at 1920x1200 with lots of AA. HardOCP on the other hand use real world benches and demonstrate this perfectly. Their benches monitor in game frame rate fluctuations to get an idea of what is playable and what is not, and they have noticed that the GTX even outpeforms 2 x 9800gtx's in sli at high res with aa.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUxOCw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

The GTX is leading the field therefore as the fastest single card. It also consumes less power then the 8800 GTX at idle (over 30 watts less), and lies in between the 8800GTX and GX2/3870X2 for power consumption under load. However there remains 2 issues. Some people have reported their 280's climbing to 105 degrees within seconds and the core clocks backing down to 300, or in some cases artifacting and even hanging. The minority though. The more common issue is the card can sometimes throttle down to 2d speeds in games (similar to what happened with ATI powerplay). But again it depends on the game and not everyone is seeing this issue. It's clearly tied to the new power management in this card whose drivers can dynamically change clock and voltage levels to mimimise power draw. (hence the low power usage at idle). But this is a known problem that Nvidia/ATI said they are working on, and already people have reported success with the latest whql driver.

Power consumption on GTX 280
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/726/20/

GTX Downclocking and/or Throttling
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=421769

Having said that, their is also a consensus that the new ATI card over using DDR5 and having more efficient texture compression can make up for having only 512meg ram/256 bit bus, and canned benches have shown it outperform the GTX 260 and come within 15% of the GTX 280. HardOCP have backed this up as well with regards to the 4870 offering higher playable framerates then the GTX 260. But still behind the GTX 280. Also the ATI is very loud under load, and it's like the fan does nothing until the gpu gets very very hot. It doesn't seem to have the intelligent power save modes like nividia has. Also, according to users on the forums at OCUK, the fan even at idle is irritating, requiring the need for an aftermarket cooler. Still a hell of a lot cheaper the the GTX 280 and if offering 85% of the performance could very well be the card to have.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUyNCw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

So the question for me is which card do I keep, and which card do I return. That is why I bought both.

i think you should keep the gtx and sell the 4870 at a considerable discount to....eh... someone....:cool:

Days of ripping myself off are over..from today that is :D

will you be overclocking these cards though or leaving them at stock?

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=61084

:D

They all have good overclock potential so far. The evga preoverlocked once seem to do a bit better as are cherry picked cores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

why are ATI releasing HD4870x2, weren't they supposed to have abandoned the high end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

4870 and GTX.

Already have GX2's and anyone on EVGA forums who has had both the GX2 and a GTX has reported that the GTX feels much smoother in gaming despite benches showing the GX2 ahead in some areas In fact if you look at reviews like Anandtech they show 2x8800gt cards in sli (current setup) matching and even beating a GX2 and a GTX. But most of these sites use canned benches and don't talk about microstuttering in sli, how the framrate varies during the game, or what happens when a card with a ddr3 memory and 256bit bus/512meg ram reaches it's limit at 1920x1200 with lots of AA.

So the question for me is which card do I keep, and which card do I return. That is why I bought both.

From my own experience I found the GX2 to be a very disappointing card, reviews showed it/still show it be a much better card than the 8800gtx/ultra, but I found the opposite to be true.Only 2 games I play needed that power ( Crysis, Dirt ) and both played much smoother on my 8800gtx (Which I sold and then went on to trade GX2 for 2 x 8800gtx )

I like the look of the Gtx260/HD4870, but not much of a step up over single 8800gtx.

My 8800gtx can be overclocked well past Ultra frequencies, while HD4870 cant be overclocked without dying apparently, I may get Gtx 260 when they drop near 4870 price and overclock them to Gtx 280 frequencies.

Why did you sell your GTX 280 without testing it Flaccus, anyone that has used one says they are much better than the bad rep suggests?

Gtx260 for €267 should be your next purchase imo, Im going to get one when they drop nearer 200 and overclock the **** out of it.

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=22296&agid=554

• Advertisement

Moose, i think what they've done is abandon the highend singlecore cards in favour of developing cheaper mid range cards and then just slapping 2 together for high end. Saves on development i suppose.

Squall; with the gtx260 at that price you've made me think twice about my 4870 purchase. Hasn't been shipped yet though. With the 4870 apparently being such bad clockers how far past them do you think the 260 will clock?

Advertisement