Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sigh - failed fyp/thesis

• 26-06-2008 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭

So after checking the results it turns out I failed my fyp and did well in everything else. i had planned to do the GD/MSc in camme programme part time starting in september but now I don't know.

Anyone know what the deal is? As I was going to do it part time the workload isn't that heavy so is it possible to still enter the programme part time while repeating the fyp? I don't really fancy wasting a year of my life repeating a thesis..

Anyone in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    So after checking the results it turns out I failed my fyp and did well in everything else. i had planned to do the GD/MSc in camme programme part time starting in september but now I don't know.

Anyone know what the deal is? As I was going to do it part time the workload isn't that heavy so is it possible to still enter the programme part time while repeating the fyp? I don't really fancy wasting a year of my life repeating a thesis..

Anyone in the same boat?

Was it by much? you could get it rechecked. Speak to your supervisor and programme chair maybe you can make it up during the summer in time to apply for the masters. Hashmi (assuming you a mech) is a cool guy to ask advice also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

33%, is that too much? Yeah I'll email them and ask what the deal is. I already emailed joe stokes and he said he can't offer me a place unless I've passed my bachelor degree

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    33%, is that too much? Yeah I'll email them and ask what the deal is. I already emailed joe stokes and he said he can't offer me a place unless I've passed my bachelor degree

AS I said you would need to talk to your coordinator, programme chair and possibly to Hashmi and see if you can do something over the summer. More than likely it could be another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

im pretty sure you can repeat the fyp over the summer months rather than doing it over the year. I did DME last year and I think one of the guys did his fyp over the summer rather than doing a whole year. 33% wont get bumped up to a pass either, they generally only give out 0.5% up to try and pass students 7% is too much to look for. I would have a talk with your supervisor though, its always a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Eccentric

Since your final year project/thesis counts as 15 credits (3 modules) and if you have to repeat it, are you only eligible for a 3rd class honours degree or can you still obtain a 2nd class honours provided your average is still above 50/60?

I'm presuming that if you have to repeat then you are only eligible for a 3.0 class honours but I may be wrong on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Eccentric wrote: »
    Since your final year project/thesis counts as 15 credits (3 modules) and if you have to repeat it, are you only eligible for a 3rd class honours degree or can you still obtain a 2nd class honours provided your average is still above 50/60?

I'm presuming that if you have to repeat then you are only eligible for a 3.0 class honours but I may be wrong on that.

"I'm presuming that if you have to repeat then you are only eligible for a 3.0 class honours but I may be wrong on that." - this presumption is incorrect in the case of ordinary individual modules I believe. Because the thesis is worth three modules this may differ.

My impression of failed modules is that a person repeating would be marked at a maximum of a certain amount – I have heard 40% - for that module and that their overall average would then be calculated including that mark and they can potentially get any grade. 40% makes logical sense as a mark from a repeated module because if someone is allowed a higher mark than this then the people who get 35%+ and are therefore eligible for compensation (which presumably brings them up to 40% only) are worse off than the person who got less than 35% and had to repeat.

So, logically, repeated modules should be marked as pass only i.e. 40%. I hate saying “what I have heard” or “what I think” when people really want definitive information but I cannot find this in the regulations though it is probably in there somewhere. It seems a no-brainer that repeats are kept to 40% as otherwise a student doing badly in an exam has an incentive to ‘throw’ the exam and take their chances in a repeat which could hardly be right.

It also makes more sense that way in the broader context as you could have someone who is averaging 65% across the board and someone who is averaging 40% across the board ending up with the same grade because they have to repeat one module. If the idea of grades is to give a broad picture of a student’s ability it makes little sense to anchor their grade at a level which relates to their performance in one specific module rather than their general performance.

Article 49 of the mark and standards from registry suggests that what I have written about the calculation of the overall mark is in fact the case as long as it’s a first repeat:

In the case of a candidate repeating an examination, marks awarded on the basis of continuous assessment, practical, project or laboratory examinations, shall, normally, be carried forward from the original examination to the repeat examinations and aggregated with the marks scored in the latter to determine the total marks to be awarded in respect of the repeat examination. However, this provision shall not apply in the case of a candidate required to repeat an examination following a repeat attendance; in such a case the continuous assessment marks to be reckoned shall be those gained by virtue of the repeat attendance.

Of course all of this relates to single modules and the thesis may differ as it equates to multiple modules. Either way, since it amounts to three modules having to settle for 40% in that much of the course would be damaging markswise.

Eccentric wrote: »

Nope, from friends I have seen do this, you are only eligible for a Pass degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Well I emailed my supervisor and Hashmi. Hashi didn't reply and my supervisor said I would have to start another fyp in october :(

Advertisement