Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a secondhand wheelchair for stroke victim.

Options
  • 26-06-2008 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a second hand wheelchair for my ma whose a stroke victim,
    We will need one for transporting her from the nursing home to and from Hospital and home. I have seen these in the past thrown out, anyone know of any not being used and where to look / apply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Sorry to hear that your mum had a stroke (my mum had a massive brain haemorrage which is similar). My dad got one, not sure where but will ask him this morning and post this evening. Mum would be lost without hers as she is very fragile on her feet and gets tired very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

can you not ask for one from the hospital, they should give you one if it's neccessary for discharge?

otherwise you maybe able to get one through your local health centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You should be able to get one from your hospital. If not I think your next port of call is the public health nurse or occupational therapist to see if they'll give you one. I'm sure your mothers needs will be assesed in regards of mobility etc before she leaves hospital.
    If none of those are of any use wheelchairs can be rented from medical supply shops sometimes. I know someone who add an accident in Dublin recently and got a second one cheaply enough here :

http://www.iwa.ie/services/wheelchairServices.aspx

"Wheelchair Sales, Loan & Repair
    IWA have a Wheelchair Sales, Rental and Repair Service located at
    headquarters in Clontarf where we have a selection of new and second hand
    wheelchairs for sale. We also have a large stock of wheelchairs available to
    rent for short or longer periods."
    (See page for further information)

Thinking about it now I have seen wheelchairs,scooters and even a chair lift advertised in newspaper classified sections where people have been willing to give them away for free because someone no longer needs it. If your stuck for money putting an ad in the paper seeking one might be a good idea .
    Best of luck to your mum for her recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Sorry I am so late in getting back, was out with the parents for their wedding anniversary (the wheelchair as ever was uselful) - they got it from the hospital also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thanks for the replies. She is in a nursing home but will be going to a hopspital for physio for approx three weeks and will need one for that duration. For some reason we were asked to have our own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement