Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Reliability?

Options
  • 26-06-2008 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

HI,

Can anyone tell me how reliable the Hyundai Santa Fe's are.

I'm looking at getting my wife a 2006 Model 2.2Diesel 2wd.

Before I spend the money I just want to make sure they are reliable enough. It's 2006 so the warranty will be up at the end of the year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

All modern cars are "reliable". Just do the usual checks - full service history etc. Hyundais are pretty bullet proof though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A commercial version I supplied to a customer last year had the 1st known engine failure worldwide. Dealer put them in to his wife's Santa Fe and a new engine was shipped over eventually (took them a while to put a spare together as they didn't stock them due to no failures), so that part of them seems to be OK.

Dealer service is generally quite good as well from Hyundai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

That's good enough for me.

I hope the 2 of you don't work for Hyundai!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I quite like tha Santa Fe, and they seem pretty reliable (better than European makes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I never had any problems with any of the ones I sold even the older ones, they're hard to fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Was gonna start my own thread but this may do..

Anyway just bought a 01 Sonata 2 litre automatic and the thing is drinking the juice like no tm. I know a 2 litre compared to my 1.2 punto prob does take more petrol but i think somethings afoot..

I put 38 litres in last friday and have done 170 miles and the tank is just empty, so thats less than five miles a litre, surely to god thats not right? And if so what the hell is the problem?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Have you been playing with the kickdown, or flooring it in general? Automatics are a bit heavier on juice than manuals. Was this traffic jam miles, or open road stuff?

Check the air filter, and possibly the spark plugs. Feather the throttle too - a very light foot will help. Does the gearbox have a sports mode? This will decrease your MPG.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    ^ Have you been playing with the kickdown, or flooring it in general? Automatics are a bit heavier on juice than manuals. Was this traffic jam miles, or open road stuff?

Check the air filter, and possibly the spark plugs. Feather the throttle too - a very light foot will help. Does the gearbox have a sports mode? This will decrease your MPG.

Iv been driving nice and relaxed, nothing crazy at all, keeping the revs low. The car has Drive, 3, 2 and then L which is basically just first gear, just keep it in drive the whole time. I will get the air filter checked out etc, only bought last week with a full waranty, so if there is anything wrong i wonder would it be covered.

Couple of terms, not a clue, kickdown?! feather the throttle?!

The driving has been done over the course of just under one week in normal conditions, not too much jam's really, mostly short trips around 20-25 mins. lots of ramps, but still i think the fuel performance is way off, would i be right in saying about double what it should be using?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Kickdown, basically from the only time ive used an auto drops down a gear when you floor it for overtaking and the likes! Or you can drop down the gear with the gear lever.

Feathering the throttle, not keeping it fully open all the time, using when you need it, boardline coasting pretty much!

Sounds like poor MPG, but you maybe getting false econ, did you fill the tank?
    I always find when i half fill anything you feel like you get no milage out of it. Fill the tank, then you'll get a better idea, maybe its just the way i perceive it.

cabrwab wrote: »

Sounds like poor MPG, but you maybe getting false econ, did you fill the tank?
    I always find when i half fill anything you feel like you get no milage out of it. Fill the tank, then you'll get a better idea, maybe its just the way i perceive it.

Yeah some one said to try that all right, put in 38 litres which basically gave me just under 3 quarters full.

Anyone know what the average mpg is for a 2 litre auto?! An could someone translate that to litres?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You are getting about 20 mpg. 1 gallon = 4.546 litres.

You are getting about 20 mpg. 1 gallon = 4.546 litres.

Cheers for that, is that horrendously bad or just average?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds pretty thirsty. A 2 litre petrol auto, combined with a big heavy body will never give really good fuel economy however.

Give it a good service and maybe it'll improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

my neighbour had one of these for a few years

said it was as reliable as a swiss bus driver's austrian pacemaker... and thats pretty reliable!

Sounds pretty thirsty. A 2 litre petrol auto, combined with a big heavy body will never give really good fuel economy however.

Give it a good service and maybe it'll improve.

Only bought it two weeks ago! Supposedly came with a full service! Apart from the new tyres and washer liquid id have my doubts if this was actually done

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

these things are very thirsty anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Yeah some one said to try that all right, put in 38 litres which basically gave me just under 3 quarters full.

Anyone know what the average mpg is for a 2 litre auto?! An could someone translate that to litres?!

i have a 2L auto accord, 07, get 620 km for a full tank 65l tank

Advertisement