Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing dollars in the states

Options
  • 26-06-2008 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭

I'm going to the States for 8 weeks and need access to cash over the period. I'd prefer not to carry a lot of cash with me.

What is the cheapest way of accessing my monies on a regular basis?

My Halifax debit card will cost 1.75% transaction charge plus 2.75% (I think) exchange rate charge).

MY BOI Visa will charge 1.5% transaction charge plus 2.75% exchange rate charge.

I'll probably need something like €15,000 over the trip. Are traveler's checks worth it? Any other options I should explore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

travellers cheques are accepted widely in the States.

Also, you could put money onto your credit card and withdraw money that way (once your account is in credit, otherwise you'll be charged cash advance fee). That's what I did while living in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I used my standard bank card which is enabled for cirrus when I was over there. I wasn't over there for long though and had taken $500 cash with me.

The fee for foreign withdrawals is 3.5%, which isn't exactly brilliant. As Larianne says, putting cash on your credit card and withdrawing from that may be the best idea. Outside of that, maybe try limit your cash usage - pay for stuff with your credit card, tip in cash, then use online banking to clear your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

Larianne wrote: »

Also, you could put money onto your credit card and withdraw money that way (once your account is in credit, otherwise you'll be charged cash advance fee). That's what I did while living in the states.

Does this mean that one can pay with travellers cheques in a restaurant/ hostel etc? and they'll give change in cash. Is there commission charged? Passport needed? In Oz, we had to go to American Express office to change them- with i.d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

seamus wrote: »
    I used my standard bank card which is enabled for cirrus when I was over there. I wasn't over there for long though and had taken $500 cash with me.

The fee for foreign withdrawals is 3.5%, which isn't exactly brilliant. As Larianne says, putting cash on your credit card and withdrawing from that may be the best idea. Outside of that, maybe try limit your cash usage - pay for stuff with your credit card, tip in cash, then use online banking to clear your card.

That's still ~$500 in fees! :eek::mad:

I'm bringing €2k in cash but I'd like to minimise how I access the rest of the money I guess. What is the charge on a travellers check anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Larianne wrote: »

you should be careful donig that. generally if your card is stolen, credit card companies won't cover any extra money you had on the card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    you should be careful donig that. generally if your card is stolen, credit card companies won't cover any extra money you had on the card

Maybe check with whatever bank you are with?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055312698&highlight=breadmonkey

I used to just put the amount of money I needed to withdraw and then take it out.

Advertisement