Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings Account

Options
  • 26-06-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at transferring my savings from Rabo Direct to somewhere else.
    I opened an account with them under the impression that they were offering 5% AER, but they changed this down to 4.3% shortly after I opened my account.
    I've had a look around a bit on itsyourmoney.ie, and various different bank's own sites, but maybe someone who's gone through this recently can help me out too.

I do have a few criteria:
    Need to be able to transfer money in and out online
    No monthly max/ min payments
    No penalties for taking money out of the account.

So far ptsb seems good at 5.75%, Halifax is 5.15%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Did you just answer your own question? These are the only two I can think of that would meet your criteria.
    Both are good accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Straight Flush

I was just on the PTSB website and as far as I can see the 5.75% account is a 21-day notice monthly saver account with a maximum lodgement of €1000 so it might not be ideal for what you want.

However, First Active's e-saving account offers 5.22% AER on balances up to €15,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I was just on the PTSB website and as far as I can see the 5.75% account is a 21-day notice monthly saver account with a maximum lodgement of €1000 so it might not be ideal for what you want.

However, First Active's e-saving account offers 5.22% AER on balances up to €15,000.

Yes, I didn't read into that ptsb one too much, you're absolutely right.
    Might not be the one to go with.
    I've had a quick look at the First Active one too, and I can't really see any catches - it seems perfect.
    Don't suppose there are any others I should be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

You might find details of other good savings accounts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Straight Flush

I think that's the best you'll get for the criteria you've listed. I have the First Active e-savings account and there aren't any catches that should affect you. Your transactions must be done online, just like with your Rabodirect account. However, when I tried to set up a standing order from my First Active account, it wasn't possible to it online. And when I phoned their telephone banking service, they seemed a little clueless and ultimately I was told that the standing order cannot be done with that account. All rather lax stuff, but at least you'll be getting a nice rate on your savings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

No idea how much you're saying but if you go above €15,000 in the First Active esaver the rate drops to 4.33% on the entire balance.

Some good threads on lump sum, term deposits, regular savers etc here (as I've said before, comparing rates is about all that site is good for these days)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks guys for the links to the two other sites - some more stuff to look at there.
    Rabo Direct do 5% on any amount over 10,000. I'm not there et, but when I am I can always start using that account again.

Advertisement