Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEAP software bugs / tips

Options
  • 26-06-2008 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭

I would like to assemble a thread for bugs / tips for primarily for those using this software . I will start off with two posts ...

Mods , please fix my typo in thread title:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Whilst trying to enter test data for a particular solar thermal panel I found that
    DEAP will not accept the test figures as published for that panel - as follows-

n0
    if I enter certified value of 0.735 ( Red warning sign says "must be figure between 0 and 1 )

a1
    if I enter certified 3.27 ( Red warning sign says "must be whole number 0 and 30 )

SEI advise that these are known bugs which will be fixed in the next software release

For n0 - enter a 2 digit value

For a1 - enter a 1 digit value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

When entering in various windows areas , each having the same nominal U value glazing spec use the copy function and alter the areas/orientation on the copied lines

This saves you having to use the pull down menu for glazing each time ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Make up a spread sheet to calc u values of roof, conc wall, timber frame, floor, etc,
    new sheet. total area of windows to give total and subtract from area of wall to give net area of walls,
    saves ages

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Mods , please fix my typo in thread title:o
    Oh alright then. Anything for a quiet life. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

smashey wrote: »
    Oh alright then. Anything for a quiet life. :D
    Any quieter Smashey, I'd hear snoring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

We are probably all intermingling between the 2 sub-forums but shouldnt this be in the other one?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Make up a spread sheet to calc u values of roof, conc wall, timber frame, floor, etc,
    new sheet. total area of windows to give total and subtract from area of wall to give net area of walls,
    saves ages

regarding writing up speadsheets to calculate u values... have you done it?

I use a spread sheet for working out the areas as per the measuring convention, but i use software such as builddesk or u valuate to work out u values. The reason i do this is because i can build up a database of different constructions with different thickness of materials, plus builddesk has the very helpful condensation risk analysis tool.

There is complicated equations used when working out inhomogenous constructions.. such as bridging material, rate, air gaps and TC values, fixings, rate of fixings etc.... unfortunately my abilities on excel isnt up to that standard. Even the SEI own u value calculator fell short on some points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

sydthebeat wrote: »

I use a spread sheet for working out the areas as per the measuring convention, but i use software such as builddesk or u valuate to work out u values. The reason i do this is because i can build up a database of different constructions with different thickness of materials, plus builddesk has the very helpful condensation risk analysis tool.

There is complicated equations used when working out inhomogenous constructions.. such as bridging material, rate, air gaps and TC values, fixings, rate of fixings etc.... unfortunately my abilities on excel isnt up to that standard. Even the SEI own u value calculator fell short on some points.

+1 on the excel sheet, I had it on a laptop before it died (RIP compaq)
    Really handy for
    Living area apecentage
    Wall areas (& orientation)
    window areas (& orientation)
    and it keeps everything together. Saves lots of calculations on calculator and pieces of paper. It was simple but I'll post it if I can find it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

sydthebeat wrote: »

Yes but im improving it at moment.

Advertisement