Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Accommodation

Options
  • 26-06-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any good B&B's in Killarney that I can use for a couple of days for the RoK?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We were originally going to stay in a B&B but none we rang were terribly keen on our late arrival and early breakfast demands. Staying in the Victoria House Hotel instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

They're full on the friday!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

we iz in ur hotel, sleepin in all ur rooms

It might have to come to that :)

Anyone else getting a 6.30 ish train down on the Friday?

We're on that one. Will we get cans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

It might have to come to that :)

Anyone else getting a 6.30 ish train down on the Friday?

That is also my plan, do you have to pre-book the bike or can you turn up with it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

We're staying in a B&B near the town centre who've offered to give KenMc an early breakfast. Can't remember the name of the place but I'll find out for yis ....

Actually this is it:
    http://www.goireland.com/kerry/manderley-accommodation-bed-and-breakfast-id39669.htm

Edit: My room is FULL :D

Glowing wrote: »
    We're staying in a B&B near the town centre who've offered to give KenMc an early breakfast. Can't remember the name of the place but I'll find out for yis ....

That'd be perfect, cos I think you're bringing my bike down too :)

El Tonto -cans sound the perfect way to prepare -we can wear our Boards kit too and scare everyone!

That is also my plan, do you have to pre-book the bike or can you turn up with it on the day.

I'd try to phone and find out -I think they only have a limited number of spaces (I've heard as low as one :eek:)

I always thought you could just show up with your bike. The guards van on those trains look big enough to handle a lot more than one bike.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    I always thought you could just show up with your bike. The guards van on those trains look big enough to handle a lot more than one bike.

I could well be wrong... I'm slinging mine on Kens roof simply to make sure I can get it down there -I suspect there may be more than a few people trying to put bikes on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can just show up with the bike and they can take a lot more than one, although I do think they have some sort of limit all right which would concern me. As far as I know it's first come, first on, there is no booking a bike onto a particular train (you do have to buy a ticket for it which costs €8 each way.)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

The nice newish green train (mark4) runs to cork. It has a big guards van that will fit loads of bikes. A problem may arise when you change train to go to killarney. Some of those trains just have spaces for 2 bikes. I'll be popping over from cork to killarney early on sat moning and i imagine the train will be empty so I'm hoping there wont be a problem.
    There are a bunch of "rail enthusiasts" who have a site... http://www.railusers.ie/ these guys will know for sure if someone wants to ask them. They usually know more than irish rail.

Harpz wrote: »
    The nice newish green train (mark4) runs to cork. It has a big guards van that will fit loads of bikes. A problem may arise when you change train to go to killarney. Some of those trains just have spaces for 2 bikes. I'll be popping over from cork to killarney early on sat moning and i imagine the train will be empty so I'm hoping there wont be a problem.
    There are a bunch of "rail enthusiasts" who have a site... http://www.railusers.ie/ these guys will know for sure if someone wants to ask them. They usually know more than irish rail.

It's a direct train we're getting, not the Cork one so I don't know what it's guards van is like. That rail users site should have a great big anorak as its logo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

For anyone worried about not getting brekkie in a B&B or hotel the morning of the spin, here's a suggestion. Get yourself one of those clippy lunchbox food storage things. Put a couple of spoons of porridge oats, a sprinkling of cinnamon and cover in apple juice. The oats soaks up the apple juice and goes all soft, it's delicious. You can add raisins and honey as well if you want. Least this way you're self sufficient at 6 am!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ventoux

Hi
    Having done 6 ROK the early breakfast is not as vital as the Wicklow as the pace is steady ,and also the terrain is a lot easier so your food should have time to settle.Every year we had breakfast at about 7.15 and had no problems.Some years it might be nearer 8.30 when it rolls out. Most B&B shouldn't have a problem either.There is that much food on route also,you dont need to go overboard on breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Watch the bikes-on-trains issue - my father-in-law got the 20:00 train from Heuston to Killarney, changing at Mallow. A few cyclists going the same way were prevented from taking their bikes on board at Mallow because it was a "commuter train" where bikes are not permitted. They were offered the option of boarding without their bikes, which would be put on the first train in the morning!
    This occurred at 22:20!! I doubt that space was an issue :rolleyes:

I know you lads are planning on getting the direct train so are probably okay. It is probably worth ringing the station master in Heuston (station phone: 703-2132) to ask what the number is likely to be.
    A backup plan might be to take the wheels off the bike and put wheels and frame into a bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

According to the guys from RUI, the schedule says the last train from Mallow to Killarney is the type they won't take bikes on, the rest should be ok. I'm probably going to head down on the 1830 on Friday now and get the 1750 back on Saturday.

Does anyone need help with directions in Killarney?
    I can throw up some Gmaps Pedometer maps to show directions from train station to B&B and then to Glen Eagle Hotel.

I might be on for meeting those getting the 18:30 train at Killarney station at 10pm. I'll pass on my mobile to whomever is interested.

How close is the Killarney Court hotel from the start... it's looking like being my option, as it's 100 quid a night for a 4* hotel, and that'll keep the missus happy :)

• Advertisement

Are most of you staying Saturday night, or getting the train back Saturday evening like penexpers (that will put the heat on him to get around :) )?

Myself and my mate are staying on Saturday night alright. Be great if we could all hook up and have some Boards beers.

Staying over Saturday night too, boards pints?

I might point out that I plan to get the 1750 train back. might not work out though :) I think getting back on Sunday might be a bit of a nightmare with all the bikes on the train?

Just booked myself a hostel there, hotels don't like people travelling on their own :(

penexpers- where did you book- was thinking of booking "Neptunes Town Hostel" simply because it is in Killarney town (the An Oige one looks a lot nicer but it is 5km out.)

In my experience hotels have no problem with single travellers but are happy to charge you as much as a couple :D

blorg wrote: »
    penexpers- where did you book- was thinking of booking "Neptunes Town Hostel" simply because it is in Killarney town (the An Oige one looks a lot nicer but it is 5km out.)

In my experience hotels have no problem with single travellers but are happy to charge you as much as a couple :D

Booked myself into Killarney Railway Hostel. Found it on hostelworld.com.

How close is the Killarney Court hotel from the start... it's looking like being my option, as it's 100 quid a night for a 4* hotel, and that'll keep the missus happy :)
    2km from the start.
    penexpers wrote: »
    Booked myself into Killarney Railway Hostel. Found it on hostelworld.com.
    You can't get any closer to the train station!
    Neptunes is right in the middle of town - close to train station.
    I wouldn't worry about the 5km out bit (except for drinking on Sat night). The An Oige hostel is at Gortaree on the map. You can start there - I'll be starting at Pallis (on left side of map), and finishing there.

I am thinking of starting around 8am, and trying for a good time. There is a party for my father-in-law and niece in the afternoon.

Yeah, it would only be the drinking on Sat that I would be concerned with though! A lot of places are only available Fri or Sat, not both. Are taxis handy (and reasonable?), if so I might just go with that? The An Oige one looked like it might be a bit better for leaving an expensive bike around too ;-)

Are taxis handy (and reasonable?), if so I might just go with that?
    I think that they are both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

daymobrew wrote: »
    Does anyone need help with directions in Killarney?
    I can throw up some Gmaps Pedometer maps to show directions from train station to B&B and then to Glen Eagle Hotel.

I might be on for meeting those getting the 18:30 train at Killarney station at 10pm. I'll pass on my mobile to whomever is interested.

Is it not leaving from the International Hotel Saturday morning??
    http://www.ringofkerrycycle.net/

Advertisement