Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Accommodation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    Your wish is my command.

I'd love a pair of Zipps also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Raam wrote: »
    I'd love a pair of Zipps also.

Was just given a pair of Zipps 303, just 5 minutes ago!!! They're last year, but still 303 :) ... wonder if that's going to make me go faster ...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Was just given a pair of Zipps 303, just 5 minutes ago!!! They're last year, but still 303 :) ... wonder if that's going to make me go faster ...

Is it your birthday or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

el tonto wrote: »
    Is it your birthday or something?

Just got them for 450 quid from my best buddy who does not use them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

blorg wrote: »
    Certainly still on for the Sean Kelly. I'm in two minds on which bike to bring for the ROK, thinking of looking at mudguards for my tourer and bringing that (they have always been in the plan but I thought I could wait for autumn :rolleyes:). Nice soggy stripe up my backside from my commute home today, I am not sure I want this over 180km.

At last someone who sees my way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm certainly bringing my mudguards anyway. Will make a decision on Sat morning as to whether or not they will be used. Full on rain jacket this morning. Thank fcuk we have rads in work that run on electricity when the heating is switched off in summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

kenmc wrote: »
    I'm certainly bringing my mudguards anyway. Will make a decision on Sat morning as to whether or not they will be used. Full on rain jacket this morning. Thank fcuk we have rads in work that run on electricity when the heating is switched off in summer!

I think I reached the limit of soakedness for the light shell I have... time to look at proper rain jackets I think :(

On the upside, the bbb waterflex overshoes kept my feet lovely and dry this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

I think if every one plans for rain, rain and more rain it will maybe have the reverse effect and be sunny for once. I have my water proof socks, overshoes, shorts, and rain jacket on stand by for Saturday and in some strange way still looking forward to it.

I saw some guy on the way home from work with a big shower cap arrangement over his helmet and thought that maybe it was a good idea.

ollietrex wrote: »
    I saw some guy on the way home from work with a big shower cap arrangement over his helmet and thought that maybe it was a good idea.
    Like this?

Problem with bad weather and raincoats is that our nice boards kit won't get seen :(

Yeah that's the one apart from it was bright yellow...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's very tempting to think that there's a finite supply of rain and every bit that falls today is a little less that could fall on Saturday. I'm clutching at straws, I know.

nt_rain.gifnt_rain.gifnt_rain.gifnt_rain.gifnt_rain.gifnt_rain.gifnt_rain.gifnt_rain.gifnt_rain.gifnt_rain.gifnt_rain.gifnt_rain.gifnt_rain.gifnt_rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have 0 rain gear - any advice on whats a must

I might get some stuff tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Problem with bad weather and raincoats is that our nice boards kit won't get seen :(
    We need something like this:
    dhb-clear-rain-jacket-ss07-med.jpg

A good breathable rain coat is a must.

The on top of this might be:-

Overshoes or Waterproof socks
    Waterproof Shorts
    Waterproof Gloves (I dont use these)

RobAMerc wrote: »

I've probably said it here before, but I don't bother too much with waterproof gear and concentrate on staying warm. I'll be packing arm warmers, knee warmers and shoe covers. However, a lot of guys would go for a light rain jacket that you can stick in your pocket.

I too will pack arm warmers, knee warmers, overshoes (bbb waterflex!), and a light rain shell and you should be fine. Wet is ok, cold is less so for me!

I have the wetsuit, fins, snorkel and mask in the car just in case.
    although: met.ie
    Saturday will be a dull and overcast day, with widespread rain, heavy at times, especially in the southeast of the country.
    We MAY get away with it in the southwest. (can you tell I'm a 'glass half full' person yet? :D)

I have the wetsuit, fins, snorkel and mask in the car just in case.

Make sure you've enough room around the swimwear for my bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

RobAMerc wrote: »

I swear by my Look Gilet. Serves me well for cycling and running.
    Kept me mostly dry during the frequent showers in Lap the Lough 2006 and ROK 2006 and warm for the initial parts of W200 2007 (approaching Kippure).

I also have windproof Gore armwarmers. Windproof also means some water resistance.
    And finally, a pair of Altura overshoes which do well in the rain.

For the legs, waterproof sun cream :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

waterproof socks?
    do these exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Got my leg warmers today. Going to search out overshoes this evening.

I take it we're all wearing our Boards kit then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I popped out and got some race blades at lunch which will be affixed tonight. Any of you "mudguards are for sissys" guys- have you gone out for 180km spins in the pissing rain before? ;-) Should have my boards shorts on the ROK.

In fairness, Kerry is looking about the best in the country for Saturday (not saying much: )

nat02_weather.png

Note this image will only show Saturday's forecast today, Thursday- it will be showing Sunday tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

blorg wrote: »
    In fairness, Kerry is looking about the best in the country for Saturday (not saying much: )

nat02_weather.png

Note this image will only show Saturday's forecast today, Thursday- it will be showing Sunday tomorrow!

That's actually looking nicer than today's weather.......

fcv8d3.png

....and today's isn't that bad (nice and sunny with the odd, albeit heavy, shower).

(nice and sunny with the odd, albeit heavy, shower).
    Where are you? In Dublin I don't think we've seen anything but grey skies interspersed with black skies and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Where are you?
    On the ROK route :).

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

a friend of mine is going to a BBQ in tralee this evening....
    says its been quiet nice down there all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

DeepBlue wrote: »
    That's actually looking nicer than today's weather.......

fcv8d3.png

....and today's isn't that bad (nice and sunny with the odd, albeit heavy, shower).

Up around my neck of the woods, a number of roads are flooded !!

Advertisement