Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving back from the UK - Advice needed

Options
  • 26-06-2008 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there - i know there are a lot of threads here about VRT but this isn't directly about VRT as I have done a lot of research and now feel I'm pretty well up to speed on it.

The problem I'm having is that I want to bring a car back with me from the UK and I'm trying to decide what to buy. I've been living here for nearly 3 years but never bought a car (which I'm regretting now!!) and now I've suddenly decided its time to move back so I know it makes sense for me to buy one here rather than when I get home.

I know there are probably a few ways I could try wing it with not paying the VRT but I'm not quite sure I could pull it off so doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

Anyway I've been working here but returning to study so unfortunately not going to be earning money at home so don't want to spend too much. I'm tempted to buy a 2004 (new model) 1.9 TDI Audi A3 for about £7000 but even with the new rate of VRT at 14% or 16% I'd still pay nearly another €3000 and bring the total spent to about €12000 which really is a lot more than I wanted to spend. Its just so tempting though - and especially when the same car is going for about €18000 at home!!!

So more realistically I'm looking at something cheaper - but still Diesel... I'm kind of hooked on getting a diesel cos of the much lower VRT but I'm wondering if any of you would say that in the long run I might be as well off getting something like a 1.4 petrol - especially with the price of diesel after shooting up so much too.

I'm looking for some suggestions on what to buy with a budget of about €8000 (including the VRT payment). I'm very tempted by something like a 2001 or 2002 Golf - again diesel so a 1.9 but petrols do seem to be cheaper and being a student again maybe the running costs would be cheaper on a 1.4 petrol. Other than that though, and still sticking with diesels for now, I've been thinking about the likes of a 307 1.4 HDI or even a 206. Would prefer a 207 but not enough second hand yet. Any thoughts??

Sorry this has ended up being such a long post!! I know from looking on here people seem to be pretty helpful though so I'll appreciate any advice you have to offer. If you need any more info from me then please ask...

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi there - i know there are a lot of threads here about VRT but this isn't directly about VRT as I have done a lot of research and now feel I'm pretty well up to speed on it.

The problem I'm having is that I want to bring a car back with me from the UK and I'm trying to decide what to buy. I've been living here for nearly 3 years but never bought a car (which I'm regretting now!!) and now I've suddenly decided its time to move back so I know it makes sense for me to buy one here rather than when I get home.

I know there are probably a few ways I could try wing it with not paying the VRT but I'm not quite sure I could pull it off so doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

Anyway I've been working here but returning to study so unfortunately not going to be earning money at home so don't want to spend too much. I'm tempted to buy a 2004 (new model) 1.9 TDI Audi A3 for about £7000 but even with the new rate of VRT at 14% or 16% I'd still pay nearly another €3000 and bring the total spent to about €12000 which really is a lot more than I wanted to spend. Its just so tempting though - and especially when the same car is going for about €18000 at home!!!

So more realistically I'm looking at something cheaper - but still Diesel... I'm kind of hooked on getting a diesel cos of the much lower VRT but I'm wondering if any of you would say that in the long run I might be as well off getting something like a 1.4 petrol - especially with the price of diesel after shooting up so much too.

I'm looking for some suggestions on what to buy with a budget of about €8000 (including the VRT payment). I'm very tempted by something like a 2001 or 2002 Golf - again diesel so a 1.9 but petrols do seem to be cheaper and being a student again maybe the running costs would be cheaper on a 1.4 petrol. Other than that though, and still sticking with diesels for now, I've been thinking about the likes of a 307 1.4 HDI or even a 206. Would prefer a 207 but not enough second hand yet. Any thoughts??

Sorry this has ended up being such a long post!! I know from looking on here people seem to be pretty helpful though so I'll appreciate any advice you have to offer. If you need any more info from me then please ask...

Cheers.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but VRO will look for a Payslips/Bills and Bank account papers for the 6 months your owned the car in the UK (i.e. from the data you took ownership on the registration forms)

Buying it and coming over with it before you own it six months means you have to pay VRT like any other Irish person.

Sucks :(

EDIT: Ah i see your already aware of this !
    Ah well .. would be nice .. i'm thinking of bringing a car back from Germany but the steering wheel on the wrong side is putting me off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tino Asprilla

Thanks for that Craichoe - its such a pity really cos if I had known 6 months ago I was going to come back so soon I could easily have bought one.. Living in London though I didnt need one at all..

So anyway does anyone have any advice on what I mentioned?

To summarise:
    1) Diesel vs Petrol
    2) What to buy with a budget of €8000

Thanks!

Advertisement