Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presents for Teacher.

Options
  • 26-06-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Any ideas for something different, Other than the usual?

Wines, Choclates, Candles... Etc...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I heard from an excellent source today that they prefer the ole' Vino. Chocs, candles etc are not on the favourites list.

So I bought candles. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

2 or 3 of you club together and get him/her a voucher for beauticians or something like that, they'd love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I got a One4All giftcard and flowers for my older boy's teacher because she's been fantastic to him and has him well prepared for secondary, she's just amazing, has done a lot of extra things for her class and I cannot praise her enough and she treats her pupils with respect. My son had a dreadful time at the hands of a previous teacher and we really appreciate his current teacher who got him interested in learning again.

I got my younger son's teacher a One4All giftcard, he's only 23 years old so hasn't a lot of experience yet but he's covered some amount of work (compared to other teachers) and is very enthusiastic compared to some of the older biddies :rolleyes: He's also very sporty which earns brownie points with my boys. We just want to show this teacher that his hard work has been appreciated and that he's doing a great job.

Oh but in Sueme's house we are handmaking the cards. Oh yes. Shop bought cards? As if....

:D

(Guess who'll be covered in glitter and sticky felt tonight while Missy's sleeping? :()

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Well I gave in, I had way much to do tonight, A nice bottle of Faustino V and a box of after eights, will have to do....

She did well at Christmas, I got her lovely Newbridge silver decorations for the tree.

Thanks for the help girls... Next year I will have to be on the ball!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Quality wrote: »
    Well I gave in, I had way much to do tonight, A nice bottle of Faustino V and a box of after eights, will have to do....

She did well at Christmas, I got her lovely Newbridge silver decorations for the tree.

Thanks for the help girls... Next year I will have to be on the ball!!

Christ, I feel totally inadequate now.. Newbridge silver:eek: I got her chocolates:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Christ, I feel totally inadequate now.. Newbridge silver:eek: I got her chocolates:o

They were on sale in Carraig Donn... Shusshhhhh;)

Yous an yer posh pressies... :(

My girl has 4 teachers (and a home tutor), candles and homemade cards shall have to do!

On a side note, this my first summer off with my child, I've always worked since she started school (which explains cheap pressies!). From 12 today - WE'RE FREEEE!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

sueme wrote: »
    Yous an yer posh pressies... :(

My girl has 4 teachers (and a home tutor), candles and homemade cards shall have to do!

On a side note, this my first summer off with my child, I've always worked since she started school (which explains cheap pressies!). From 12 today - WE'RE FREEEE!!! :)

Oh you lucky sod:p

Enjoy.....Hope the bloody weather picks up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Quality wrote: »
    Any ideas for something different, Other than the usual?

Wines, Choclates, Candles... Etc...

Thanks

As a now skint parent who has had to fork out for teacher, teaching assistant, lollipop lady, jannie, etc.......when did this nonsense start? We never did any of this when I was at primary school (late 60s/early 70s) and it was deemed unneccessary (the greatest gift for teacher was seeing the back of us for 6 weeks). I feel kinda conned and I suspect it was the Hallmark/card industry that started this rubbish.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

As a now skint parent who has had to fork out for teacher, teaching assistant, lollipop lady, jannie, etc.......when did this nonsense start? We never did any of this when I was at primary school (late 60s/early 70s) and it was deemed unneccessary (the greatest gift for teacher was seeing the back of us for 6 weeks). I feel kinda conned and I suspect it was the Hallmark/card industry that started this rubbish.:(

Don't go big for expensive pressies here - 2 teachers 4 SNA's and a learning support teacher for my 2 boyos

We made homemade buns and the boyos iced them and brought them in. Made cards and hubbie and I wrote a note to one of the teachers and the learning support techer that were fab with DS2 all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Teachers do drink a lot don't they?, well some of them. It is a highly stressful job. So why not help them flush out all the toxins from their body. A gift voucher from The Sea Weed Baths in Strandhill would do the trick. (That is of course if you are in the Sligo area.) if not you could inquire elsewhere as I am sure it is catching on as a result of the recent Nationwide review of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

sounds cheesy but a nice house plant would be welcome, and for younger teachers a small made up basket of toileteries (shower gel, body lotion, etc) always looks nice.

i once got a teddie with a tag saying worlds best teacher and it was fantastic! i also loved a sparkly silver chain belt from next that the child got cause it has pink in it and she knew i loved pink. it was purely the thought from the child and that was what meant the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It has gotten to the stage that some school have had to put in a policy with guidelines about the types and the cost of presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My mum's a secondary school teacher and you should see the swag she comes home with at Christmas!

Last year she got a free free range turkey (and got to pick which one from the farm when it was alive!) and homemade pud in addition to all the wine, chocolates and candles. It was great!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

wow, presents for teachers!!!!!!!!!!!

i thought parents would be under enough financial pressures without being expected to buy presents for the teachers.

my friends childrens school has a "no present policy" which i think is only right

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

as a mere man i was recently asked this question and i politely suggested we get the teacher nothing

i really dont understand why this should now be the norm

yes of course we appreciate them but we also pay for the pleasure(montessori) we even get to pay when bank holidays etc conincide with our days and sometimes on the fridays they take off when also to make bank holiday weekend even more enjoyable. also if you arrive late they will remind you of hours of operation

where does it all stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

what the feck?!!! presents for teachers?!thats a laugh! whats that for?to say thanks for teaching my kid?but they are not doing it as a favour to anyone,they are actually getting paid to do this!they must be laughing in the faces of those who buy prezzies for them,as i say...it is their paid job to teach our kids,not a favour. what is this world coming too?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

to the last three posters "Thank you thank you & thank you!"

I was biting my tongue reading this up to now. We all give the teachers three nice presents every years, June, July and August via our taxes!

Listen, some parents give presents because they feel it gives their little Johnny an advantage over the other kids when it comes to priority in the classroom...it's all nonsense, pure and utter nonsense.

It's this type of rubbish that demonstrates clearly that we need a recession and need it badly...too much money and not enough brains and common sense.

to the last three posters "Thank you thank you & thank you!"

I was biting my tongue reading this up to now. We all give the teachers three nice presents every years, June, July and August via our taxes!

Listen, some parents give presents because they feel it gives their little Johnny an advantage over the other kids when it comes to priority in the classroom...it's all nonsense, pure and utter nonsense.

It's this type of rubbish that demonstrates clearly that we need a recession and need it badly...too much money and not enough brains and common sense.
    no problemo!! you are right on the idea,some people do just have too much money,and probably{not saying im right} think buying teachers prezzies will give their little one an advantage.but as u say...nonsense.teacher prob goes home with bottle of wine,drinks it and forgets who even got it for them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

*melanie* wrote: »
    teacher prob goes home with bottle of wine,drinks it and forgets who even got it for them!!

If I was a teacher, I'd probably be drinking to forget, too!

But just because someone is doing a job many people wouldn't do, while getting well paid for it, doesn't mean they should get presents for doing their job. It's no different to years ago when the binmen would go door to door at Christmas with their hand out. Families are under enough financial pressures these days without American-inspired nonsense like inviting ALL the kids in the class to a day out on your child's birthday, presents for teachers, and other guff probably invented by Hallmark to boost business. Then there's our own pernicious traditions of bankrupting yourself at communions, confirmations and Christmases so the neighbours don't 'show you up' :rolleyes:

Happy Love Day!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

neighbour is a teacher and she came home with 18 smelly sets, 6 bottles of wine, 5 bunches of flowers and a hand made book token by one child using a technique they learnt during the year. guess which one she still has and knows who gave it to her.

Only twice given in presents to teachers and these were only in cases where the teacher went above and beyond call of duty to my children. I see it in same way as restaurant tipping - only where the job is better than expected, as teachers will tell you they get well paid for their jobs.

definitely think we've lost the plot on the lark of present giving. roll on the recession!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

This year it was the two teachers and my son's SNA so we went with 8 large strawberries each dipped in dark chocolate and placed in a greaseproof paper bundle which the kids had decorated the outside of and tied up with a ribbon.

The kids had fun, it was easy and certainly differnt and they were well recieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It has gotten to the stage that some school have had to put in a policy with guidelines about the types and the cost of presents.

That's crazy! My mother's a teacher and she gets some lovely stuff (wine, chocs, candles included) and some rotten pound shop crap too, but the cards that come with the gifts are always displayed proudly on the window-sill for weeks.

Believe me, the thought does count A LOT more than the value of the gifts. She puts in a lot of effort and it's a lovely feeling to be appreciated.

Malari wrote: »
    My mother's a teacher and she gets some lovely stuff (wine, chocs, candles included) and some rotten pound shop crap too,
    well that doesnt sound very appreiciated! that rotten pound shop stuff you speak of is still someones hard earned cash,regardless of how much it cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

I used to work in cosmetics (thinks wistfully back to the:rolleyes: freebies) and the amount of parents buying the teachers giftsets was unreal.....

I always thought... When i have them my poor kids.....Candles and chocolates is all they will be giving if the teacher is male a bottle of blue stratus

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lawgirl

I don't understand some posters saying that buying a teacher a present at Christmas and end of year is new.... I'm a child of the 80's and I always got my teacher a present - so did all my class mates (and there wasn't much spare cash around in those days I can tell you!!). My father in law is a primary teacher and you should see the stuff he gets (bottles of really nice brandy, bottles of vino, ties, socks!!, etc!!) - its amazing and he appreciates every last one of those presents. Incidentially, he's been getting presents since he started teaching in the 70's and most of his pupils are children of children he taught (he's like an institution in our town!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

*melanie* wrote: »
    well that doesnt sound very appreiciated! that rotten pound shop stuff you speak of is still someones hard earned cash,regardless of how much it cost.

You missed the point I was making, which is that it's the thought that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

lawgirl wrote: »
    I don't understand some posters saying that buying a teacher a present at Christmas and end of year is new....

It was unheard of, I was in sixth class in 1983... Where I grew up not all the kids were getting proper meals and clothes never mind f***ing presents for the teacher.
    My father in law is a primary teacher and you should see the stuff he gets (bottles of really nice brandy, bottles of vino, ties, socks!!, etc!!)

This is ridiculous (imho) and an unnecessary financial burden on families. Don't we give enough money to him already in our taxes? I do totally agree however with home-made cards etc. as this is fun for the kids to do, nearly free and no doubt more appreciated anyway (unless teach really is a greedy git.)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 lawgirl

ninja900 wrote: »
    Don't we give enough money to him already in our taxes?

Do you know how much teachers get paid to look after, nurture, care for and provide education to kids everyday? Starting off its €28k, not bad I hear you say - but have you ever had to look after 25, 8 year olds for a week, let alone a school term? For example a creche would get paid approx €22.5k to do this for a MONTH. I don't think they get paid nearly enough. Teachers provide a fundamental service in our country, and its nice to show that they are appreciated, and yes, even if that is a hand made card, every gift is appreciated just for the thought of it.

Advertisement