Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presents for Teacher.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

lawgirl wrote: »
    Do you know how much teachers get paid to look after, nurture, care for and provide education to kids everyday? Starting off its €28k, not bad I hear you say - but have you ever had to look after 25, 8 year olds for a week, let alone a school term? For example a creche would get paid approx €22.5k to do this for a MONTH. I don't think they get paid nearly enough. Teachers provide a fundamental service in our country, and its nice to show that they are appreciated, and yes, even if that is a hand made card, every gift is appreciated just for the thought of it.
    28 grand? who cares what they get paid...its their choice to do the job,they picked the job knowing what teachers salarys can be like,and knowing that they will be minding 25+ kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We're back to the binman complaining "ooh I have to pick up dirty rubbish all year, give me money".

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't think teachers ask for or expect gifts. Like other posters keep saying, it is nice to be appreciated, however. Many teachers just go in, do the minimum required and don't take any special interest in the kids. Some do spend a lot of extra time and care and are loved by the kids they teach. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving a teacher a small token of appreciation in this case. There's no onus on everyone to give something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

ninja900 wrote: »
    We're back to the binman complaining "ooh I have to pick up dirty rubbish all year, give me money".

now there's a guy that would appreciate bath salts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

My mam used to get practical things like salad bowls and photo frames.

I didn't make out too well this year. Box of chocolates, bunch of flowers and a few cards. I don't think my infants realised they weren't going to have me anymore. :(:( My fave thing is a card written by the child "Thanks for teaching me. I love you Teacher. " awwwh. Romanian families have a tradition of bringing flowers for the new teacher on first day of school and that was the cutest surprise I ever got.:)

Other teachers were weighed down with bunches of flowers, bath sets, jewelery etc. We teach beside the flats and you get some mad tack, it's so thoughtful but I don't think the staff are into huge gold hoopy earrings... TBH, the chocolates get opened at lunch and shared in staff room, the box sets are usually passed on to other people as presents but booze always goes down well. Teachers and their white wine Fridays... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

to the last three posters "Thank you thank you & thank you!"

I was biting my tongue reading this up to now. We all give the teachers three nice presents every years, June, July and August via our taxes!

Listen, some parents give presents because they feel it gives their little Johnny an advantage over the other kids when it comes to priority in the classroom...it's all nonsense, pure and utter nonsense.

It's this type of rubbish that demonstrates clearly that we need a recession and need it badly...too much money and not enough brains and common sense.

I disagree with you on so many levels. As a teacher, I found that post unfair and insulting.

- Teachers work in June.
    - No teachers expect presents.
    - Teachers won't give a child special treatment because they got a box set. No children are given 'priority'. Not in my classroom anyways.
    - To a lot of children "Teacher" is like a member of the family, and some are more of a Mother/ father figure then the parents themselves. To infants, teacher is one of the most important people in their lives.
    - Teachers do build special bonds with some children, can get attached and make a huge difference in the lives of some children
    - There's nothing wrong with a parent showing some appreciation to a teacher
    - This is not a new thing, my Gran was a teacher 50 years ago and got presents. My Mam used to give presents to my fave teachers in the 80s.
    Are you so broke that you can't afford a card or bunch of flowers?

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I disagree with you on so many levels. As a teacher, I found that post unfair and insulting.

- No teachers expect presents.
    - Teachers won't give a child special treatment because they got a box set. No children are given 'priority'. Not in my classroom anyways.

Are you so broke that you can't afford a card or bunch of flowers?

i know you are not quoting me in what u say...but i can help but say that you cannot speak for every teacher in ireland when you say 'no teacher expects presents...you dont know that for sure do you?and i would personally imagine that some do expect them.
    and also you cant know for sure that a child wont get special treatment for giving teacher a present,fair enough,not in your classroom...but very possible in others.
    also,nobody said they are 'broke' and cant afford a bunch of flowers,some people just wont buy flowers for someone that is already getting rewarded for their work.{wages}.

Well, I know for a fact that some teachers give away those pressies you put so much thought into. Every Christmas for years my s-i -l who is a teacher used to give me stuff, and I KNOW she did not buy it. She took me to be a fool until I confronted her.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I suspect it was the Hallmark/card industry that started this rubbish.:(

When i worked for cadburys a big part of the promotional calendar was 'Thanks for Teacher'. When I was in primary school (88-96) There was none of this lark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

IF you dont want to give a teacher a present that is fine, your choice...

TBH, I buy a present for the teacher because I appreciate the hard work that they do. My daughter has liked all her teachers and it is just a gesture of thanks.

I dont do it for my child to get an advantage, why would I give a present at the end of the school term in that case?:confused: Its hardly of any use when the teacher is no longer teaching the child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I sometimes give gifts if the teacher has been exceptional. They are always something home made, a cake, card or something cross-stitched. As an end of year gift I dont do it as a matter of course, just if I feel its something deserved.

I would always give a small christmas gift, as that is a normal gift giving occasion, as opposted to the end of year gifts - which seem to me to be a thanks for doing your job and getting paid for it gift wtf?

This christmas I altered a notebook for my DDs teacher, put quite a bit of effort into it - personalising it with her name etc. I did not expect bouquets thrown my way for it, but I never got so much as a thank you.

So when it came to end of year ... she simply got a card. I sent in in with my daughter in the morning, spoke to the teacher at end of the day, and again not so much as an acknowledgement.

A simple thank you would go a long long way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I didn't make out too well this year. Box of chocolates, bunch of flowers and a few cards. I don't think my infants realised they weren't going to have me anymore. :(:( My fave thing is a card written by the child "Thanks for teaching me. I love you Teacher. " awwwh. Romanian families have a tradition of bringing flowers for the new teacher on first day of school and that was the cutest surprise I ever got.:)

Other teachers were weighed down with bunches of flowers, bath sets, jewelery etc. We teach beside the flats and you get some mad tack, it's so thoughtful but I don't think the staff are into huge gold hoopy earrings... TBH, the chocolates get opened at lunch and shared in staff room, the box sets are usually passed on to other people as presents but booze always goes down well. Teachers and their white wine Fridays... :p

And then some body says that teachers dont expect gifts. When the post immediately before it clearly shows that they do. Otherwise why say you did not do so well....or that they did not realise you were not having them anymore. Did you feel that they were expecting to give you your gift next year then?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I would always give a small christmas gift, as that is a normal gift giving occasion

For friends and family, yes... :rolleyes:
    A good dose of recession will put a stop to this sort of nonsense, so it's not all bad news.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote: »
    For friends and family, yes... :rolleyes:
    A good dose of recession will put a stop to this sort of nonsense, so it's not all bad news.

too true ninja,too true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

When I saw this thread I wondered how long it would take for the "chips on the shoulders" brigade to emerge!

*melanie* do you seriously think a teacher would give preferential treatment to a child because he/she had received a present? Seriously? :rolleyes:

When I saw this thread I wondered how long it would take for the "chips on the shoulders" brigade to emerge!

*melanie* do you seriously think a teacher would give preferential treatment to a child because he/she had received a present? Seriously? :rolleyes:

yes i do

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

lawgirl wrote: »
    I don't understand some posters saying that buying a teacher a present at Christmas and end of year is new.... I'm a child of the 80's and I always got my teacher a present - so did all my class mates (and there wasn't much spare cash around in those days I can tell you!!). My father in law is a primary teacher and you should see the stuff he gets (bottles of really nice brandy, bottles of vino, ties, socks!!, etc!!) - its amazing and he appreciates every last one of those presents. Incidentially, he's been getting presents since he started teaching in the 70's and most of his pupils are children of children he taught (he's like an institution in our town!!).

I am a child of the 70's (well started school in the 80's and finished in the 90's) we never gave presents to the teacher and neither did anyone in my class - i am finding this all really strange

And then some body says that teachers dont expect gifts. When the post immediately before it clearly shows that they do. Otherwise why say you did not do so well....or that they did not realise you were not having them anymore. Did you feel that they were expecting to give you your gift next year then?

i think you have that spot on,it definatly suggests that gifts are expected,that shows without shadow of a doubt.

Advertisement