Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial Arts in Naas

• 26-06-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭

so it looks like I'll be moving to Naas for work, and although I'm from that end of the country (well Monasterevin, but close enough) I've been gone for about ten years, so I have no idea what clubs are available there at the moment.

preferebly would like something with sparring, but don't mind if its ground or stand-up (have been training with Fergal Quinlan and Ger Healy for the last couple of years).

wont be able to travel to Dublin for classes, so has to be within cycling distance of Naas town.

Any and all help is appreciated guys, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

cletus wrote: »
    so it looks like I'll be moving to Naas for work, and although I'm from that end of the country (well Monasterevin, but close enough) I've been gone for about ten years, so I have no idea what clubs are available there at the moment.

preferebly would like something with sparring, but don't mind if its ground or stand-up (have been training with Fergal Quinlan and Ger Healy for the last couple of years).

wont be able to travel to Dublin for classes, so has to be within cycling distance of Naas town.

Any and all help is appreciated guys, cheers

Hi,

There's a tkd club there:
    http://www.inta.ie/clubs/naas_taekwon_do_club/

Naas Sports centre on Carragh road. I've no idea what the classes are like though. There would be sparring but would also be fair amount of patterns too I would guess so not sure if would suit you. Worth giving a call maybe, I've no idea what else is in Naas? Sometimes classes might be split as a sparring class and a patterns class, so you could then go just once a week to the sparring class as part of your overall training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Cheers TKD SC. yeah should probably have said a minimum of patterns, katas, and calling irish fellas foreign names:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Hi ,
    There's 'Combat kickboxing' in Prosperous with stand up sparring most nights. It would be a bit of a cycle.

I think Global Kickboxing are in the Naas Sports centre on Carragh road, can't tell you what the classes are like.

The you have boxing in Kilcullen with lots of sparring but the are finished for the summer.

Good luck

siochin, thanks very much. I wont be there till august, so i'll check out Global Kickboxing

thanks again

Cheers TKD SC. yeah should probably have said a minimum of patterns, katas, and calling irish fellas foreign names:D

That's Sensei to you!! :)

• Advertisement

should that not be "instructor", or better again "sir";)

should that not be "instructor", or better again "sir";)

Sir is the old reliable alright!!
    I'm getting lots of work done this afternoon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

I'm running "Urban Combatives" in Newbridge - which is obviously very close to Naas.

It's all geared for the street, so there are no competitions per se. Any sparring or contact would also be street orientated (scenarios, etc.).

Cheers,

R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

Any sparring or contact would also be street orientated (scenarios, etc.).

Can you elaborate on how you set these up Baggio? What level of contact is used? Safety Equipment? And do you not feel a lack of sparring reduces improvements in timing, gauging distance etc... Oh and any vids of a "set up" street scenario?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

bjj in naas somewhere not sure where exactly.

• Advertisement

Can you elaborate on how you set these up Baggio? What level of contact is used? Safety Equipment? And do you not feel a lack of sparring reduces improvements in timing, gauging distance etc... Oh and any vids of a "set up" street scenario?

Cheers

Well, it's kinda' hard to explain in a thread - I'll keep it brief . :) Sparring is a reciprocal exchange between two people. Combatives, and fighting in general - is one way traffic. Or as it's been called a, "one sided beating".

Full contact sparring is great, especially for sport (and will give you that grit you need for the street too). I could write an essay on the benefits of sparring - but I'm sure you know them.

But why not make it more task specific for what we'd need (or whatever area your interested in, for us it's the street)? IE - eliminate the bobbing, weaving, moving in and out, countering, etc. Also, set it up as it would happen on the street. Aggressive dialog, multiple opponents, weapon draws, and everything else that can go wrong. I don't train for sport, only counter violence and fun. So there is no real need to train for the "ring type" of activity (as cool as it is).

It's also hard to quantify the level of force we use. When I've done it in the past - I've been up against a padded opponent (or opponents), at full contact for both of us. However, he has the advantage of being "padded up" - I don't.

The equipment used is generally a modified "fist suit", which a custom helmet (using a neck brace) that allows full force strikes to the head. Safety is my primary concern, and unfortunately I don't have all the equipment yet. It's very expensive, and I'd have to get someone to make the helmet. So for now it's pretty much at the same level of contact as boxing, or other full contact sport. That said, some of the guys I have are pretty new so I take it easy. A lot of it depends on the individual too. I'm not going to force anyone into something they don't want to do.

Don't think that because we don't spar, in a conventional way, that we neglect the other skills, timing, distance, etc. You get plenty that when guys are coming at you full pelt! Not to mention the other drills we employ.

At the end of the day, it's just about tailoring your contact to be more "task specific". whatever it's for sport or the street.

But as I said, student safety has to be paramount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

One of my old Bujinkan teachers still teaches the art in Newbridge..Tuesdays I believe. Arrange to visit a class and ask tons of questions:
    http://www.steve-byrne.com/

@nothingcompares: any idea of the name of the guy running bjj in naas

@baggio: thanks for the offer, sounds intriguing, and i might even make it for a class, but training for the street wouldn't be my primary goal. I've enough problems trying to spar one fella, without a heap of them flaking the sh1te out of me :D

@pearsquaser: is there much in the line of heavy/full contact sparring in your style?
    also, is there much in the line of kata/forms/two step stuff etc?

@baggio: thanks for the offer, sounds intriguing, and i might even make it for a class, but training for the street wouldn't be my primary goal. I've enough problems trying to spar one fella, without a heap of them flaking the sh1te out of me :D

It's not as bad as it sounds...:D As I'm an instructor that's the level that is expected of me. Regarding students they only do what they feel comfortable doing, although I do try and take them out of their comfort zones a wee bit, when they feel ready:).

You're more than welcome to pop down for a free class anytime. But if you more into competition - then I'd probably recomend something else to be honest.

But good luck in whatever you do.:)

cheers baggio.

I have discovered that Piotr Stawski runs a bjj club in naas under the "bezerker" banner, but can't seem to find a location for him.

also, my google-fu turned up naas ninjitsu-mma http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4524267612&ShowSims=Y
    anybody know anything about them.
    they claim grappling and mma, but the only video's on the link above are semi-contact kickboxy/karate things, Steven Rooney is the head guy, anybody got any info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

@pearsquaser: is there much in the line of heavy/full contact sparring in your style?
    also, is there much in the line of kata/forms/two step stuff etc?

I PM'd you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Martin25

Hi Baggio
    I am interested in improving our protective equipment for combatives and wondered could you give me some advice on modifying or building new stuff that can take a hard beating from some tough JKD guys?
    thanks
    Martin

Martin25 wrote: »
    Hi Baggio I am interested in improving our protective equipment for combatives

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert and modifying such equipment so I'll have to leave that for the other guys. Although, I will be trying to organise some for the club as soon as I can get some funds together. Right now were using standard club equipment, boxing gloves, pads etc. So I'm going relatively easy on them for the moment. :)

I'll also be looking to get some of Tony Blauer's "Hi gear" at some point. It can protect the wearer from some decent impact, especially when things go live and, you become a non static target - the impact definitely diminishes. But it allows lots good movement, as it's pretty light. It still allows the user to have good technical ability.

However, the full contact stuff that works very well, besides the "bullet man" armour, is a modified American Football helmet. With extra padding and uses a neck brace. Which is securely fitted via a chin strap. Without the brace people would be dropping like stones - do to the brain splash. On the body armour side, “fist suits” are good as they are pretty manoeuvrable, and can take a decent whack. “Redmen” suits are not the best, as they don't stop the brain shake and are very cumbersome.

Unfortunately this type of armour can cost over a thousand dollars – so I've got some saving to do. :)

Lee will be over the following week and I'll ask him how he goes about modifying his equipment. I'll keep you posted on what he says.

For any of this type of work it's also imperative that you have a “safety man” - even if the contact is not that heavy. Student safety is the most important thing! It's also not the type of training you need to do everyday. Or you'd probably have no one at your club! :)

Cheers,

R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭john kavanagh

I have discovered that Piotr Stawski runs a bjj club in naas under the "bezerker" banner, but can't seem to find a location for him.

well you can see him in action on sat night :D

details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Martin25

thanks Baggio!

• Advertisement

Martin25 wrote: »
    thanks Baggio!

No worries... :) As I was saying I'll have a chat to Lee ASAP and let you know what he'd recommend.

Cheers,

R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

cheers baggio.

also, my google-fu turned up naas ninjitsu-mma http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4524267612&ShowSims=Y
    anybody know anything about them.
    they claim grappling and mma, but the only video's on the link above are semi-contact kickboxy/karate things, Steven Rooney is the head guy, anybody got any info?

Naas ninjitsu is not an mma club unfortunatly,
    steven rooney teaches kids self defence and advertises adults mma, which is really kickboxing and ninjitsu rolled into one, i am a purple belt under steven rooney

this is not mixed martial arts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

kickboxing and ninjitsu.
    sounds mixed to me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

damn ur right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimbob01

were in newbridge are these classes?

jimbob01 wrote: »
    were in newbridge are these classes?

Hey,

Sent you a PM.

Cheers,

R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Paulius

hi could i find out where abouts are them classes in newbridge ?thanks

PM sent! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jammy1995

anybody have any information on their class' such as where, when, price, etc. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Gollum0472

Just wondering baggio if the classes you run are suitable for women. My wife wants to learn something that will keep her safe while out walking. Would it be something you would recommend for women with no and I mean no kind of experience at all.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

There is a TKD club in the sports centre in Naas, a Karate club in the town hall and also a Bujinkan Dojo in Naas. Combat Kickboxing is in prosperous but that might be too far. I train in Husaria in Clane and we run Muai Thai classes on Mon and Fri plus striking classes on Weds and we have some women at them.. Having done Kempo and Bushido for years I think Muai Thai is great for self defence and fitness.

Most places will cater for absolute beginners and women so its probably best if she tries a few classes in the different styles and picks out what she is most comfortable with and what suits her needs (distance, price etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

There's also a Wado Ryu Karate club in the Killashee Leisure centre that trains on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Gollum0472 wrote: »
    Just wondering baggio if the classes you run are suitable for women. My wife wants to learn something that will keep her safe while out walking. Would it be something you would recommend for women with no and I mean no kind of experience at all.............

Vinne who runs Combat Kickboxing in prosperous has ladies only classes on Tuesday evening and Thursday monring. Great way for ladies with no experience to start off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 locater7

just after quitting fags,am 43,looking to do some type of martial arts to keep me and my mind fit..am near naas but have no idea what styles u have mentioned in previous posts
    do love the bruce lee moves,movies and philosophy
    so reckon its something along thos lines
    if you can advise do appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

just after quitting fags,am 43,looking to do some type of martial arts to keep me and my mind fit..am near naas but have no idea what styles u have mentioned in previous posts
    do love the bruce lee moves,movies and philosophy
    so reckon its something along thos lines
    if you can advise do appreciate it

Where about near Naas? Bruce Lee's style is Jeet Kune Do which is more of an approach than an art. Wing Chun would be a good bet but Im not sure if there are any classes in and around Naas. I would suggest Bujinkan and there are dojo's in both Naas and Newbridge here is a link

Have you looked into BJJ? There isn't as much impact and people study it well into their later years. Might be an option for you. If you are interested Husaria in Clane do BJJ on Wednesday and Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pivot

Gollum0472 wrote: »

I gollum,
    I'm a massive advocate of everybody having some sort of martial arts/ self defence knowledge. You don't however need one to have the other. A bit of for thought and planning will see your wife being much safer immediately while learning a martial art will take time before she becomes proficient.
    Try planning her route so she's never far from a busy road or Houses. Avoid isolated areas or areas she's not familiar with so if she needs to run she'll know straight away where to go without hesitation. Don't use ear phones or mobiles so she's never distracted and harder to sneek up on. Try to walk with a friend, get a dog. And stay aware of her surroundings, cars/ vans parked in odd places people lingering in unusual places
    At the risk of sounding a bit heartless, try to make herself look like less of a victim than the girl down the road. Hopefully sum of these ideas might make your wife feel more safe while learning some physical self defence.
    Theres also a lot to be said for a good kick in nuts( shin would also work) and running like hell while making as much noise as possible.

All the best to her whatever style she gets into.

Advertisement