Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls under 16 make pact to become pregnant

Options
  • 26-06-2008 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

The article can be found here.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ … ml?cnn=yes

About 17 Girls make a pact to get pregant, with one becoming pregnant by a 24 year old homeless guy and then high five and plan baby showers after finding out.

"They're so excited to finally have someone to love them unconditionally,"
    They don't seem to realise that when the child grows up it might not love them as much, considering how they're still in school and alone. And they may regret this decision when the baby is keeping them up all night pooping, crying and occasionally vomiting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ah well. Their tough crap by finding out the hard way. idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Fcuking idiots. They would have been better off making a pact to get a good education and finding good jobs to support these babies.

Makes me sick. Love them unconditionally? I doubt it when the kids are being brought up by their grandparents and thats hopefully.

A puppy would have done the same job.

Whats wrong with the kids these days,
    Whatever happened to doing silly things like dying your hair green, getting your nose pierced, that used to be enough to be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Trinity1 wrote: »

Whats wrong with the kids these days,
    Whatever happened to doing silly things like dying your hair green, getting your nose pierced, that used to be enough to be cool.

Hehe, I had pink hair and eyebrow pierced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

boogle wrote: »
    Hehe, I had pink hair and eyebrow pierced :)

Blue hair and a nose ring here. :D

Reading that piece, it makes me wonder if the school has perhaps been too accomadating, with 'baby strollers common in the hallways' and free on site child care?

I'm in no way suggesting that teenage parents should be punished, or sent away out of sight/out of mind, but were Irish schools to become so open minded it might make economic sense to have a baby at 15. Childcare is expensive, free childcare could be seen as an incentive for early breeding. (my tongue is only partly in cheek).

Reading that reminds me of that sense of girly bonding that Judy Blume was writing about, a couple of years ago those girls were probably giggling about periods and getting excited about going shopping for their first bra - now they can share the experiences of morning sickness, stretch marks and heart burn with each other and bond over it.

It's sad that these children are in such a hurry to have kids themselves, I'd be interested to know more about the family situations that these girls who made the pact came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

That is just idiotic :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

doesn't surprised me in the slightest, considering baby dolls and the general being a mother thing is pushed on the majority of girls from a young age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Their parents must be so proud.

That is nothing new....teenagers live to copy other.
    Half my class in school opted for pregnancy when they stepped out into the real world, and to be honest they are alot better off than me economically. If and when I ever catch up I won't have the ability to stay at home with my kids.

In other news. I have a serious urge to dye my hair pink.
    I'm a bit worried that it might mess up my natural colour though.
    Any t-shirt wearers opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Muppets :rolleyes:

Whats a tee-shirt wearer moonbaby? Use the spray kids use for halloween it washes out or get pink clip in extensions for the streak effect.

And also can someone tell me what this means <3 - or point me in the direction of a website explaining this computer speak?

ty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

And also can someone tell me what this means <3 - or point me in the direction of a website explaining this computer speak?

ty
    It's a heart :)

Whats a tee-shirt wearer moonbaby? Use the spray kids use for halloween it washes out or get pink clip in extensions for the streak effect.

ty

I just meant people who had already dyed their hair pink.
    That is a heart turned over on its side. :)

:o Sorry I am showing my age

Thanks girls !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I saw an interview with one of the girls. What she claimed was the girls all got pregnant accidently. They then made a pact together to raise the kids together (rather than have abortions or adoptions).

Pythia wrote: »
    I saw an interview with one of the girls. What she claimed was the girls all got pregnant accidently. They then made a pact together to raise the kids together (rather than have abortions or adoptions).

That makes more sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Half my class in school opted for pregnancy when they stepped out into the real world, and to be honest they are alot better off than me economically. If and when I ever catch up I won't have the ability to stay at home with my kids.

Isn't that cute.

Blaming culture forcing baby dolls and motherhood on females is a cop out. If that was the case how many girls would reach their 20s without having a child or two?

Moonbaby: I went for magenta after the first time I dyed my hair pink and the colour was much better - stronger, more defined colour that didn't look as candyfloss-y. Keep in mind you'll have to bleach first, that pink dye doesn't come in a permanent colour and so there's a fair bit of maintenance involved, and that pink could clash with your wardrobe. Apparently if you put salt in the dye before you apply it it'll last better and develop into a stronger colour - I don't understand why, but I'd imagine that it's something like the whole salt thing when dying clothes. I loved having pink hair. I don't they'd cope too well in work if I went pink again though. Sucks. :(

All I can say is, I'd hate to be the parent of a teenage girl in this day and age. I was a quiet kid, but as a teenager I was a spacer. Granted, not much has changed :pac:

You cant treat a teenager like an child, yet you cant treat them like an adult either- because they aren't either. Problem with that is, teenagers think they know it all. Stepping out into the world with that kind of naivity can get them in big trouble.

Parents that manage to get their daughters out of their teens not pregnant are commendable. Granted it takes a little bit of sense on their daughters part, but I think getting the balance right is important. Dont hold on to tight, nor let them loose. Hard combo to get right, by all accounts.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Isn't that cute.

Blaming culture forcing baby dolls and motherhood on females is a cop out. If that was the case how many girls would reach their 20s without having a child or two?

Moonbaby: I went for magenta after the first time I dyed my hair pink and the colour was much better - stronger, more defined colour that didn't look as candyfloss-y. Keep in mind you'll have to bleach first, that pink dye doesn't come in a permanent colour and so there's a fair bit of maintenance involved, and that pink could clash with your wardrobe. Apparently if you put salt in the dye before you apply it it'll last better and develop into a stronger colour - I don't understand why, but I'd imagine that it's something like the whole salt thing when dying clothes. I loved having pink hair. I don't they'd cope too well in work if I went pink again though. Sucks. :(

Frig it! I thought I might be able to do it without bleaching my hair. :(
    That won't work for me, I don't want to dye my hair usually.
    I've always loved magenta hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I was too lazy to read it but I assume Jamie Lynn Spears was one of the girls

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I was too lazy to read it but I assume Jamie Lynn Spears was one of the girls

Nope. An idol maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Frig it! I thought I might be able to do it without bleaching my hair. :(
    That won't work for me, I don't want to dye my hair usually.
    I've always loved magenta hair.

Unless you have very blonde hair, the pink won't be very vibrant.

I <3 magenta hair.

It's worth doing it for the experience. I did it at home, and it turned out really nicely in my estimation. I bleached my hair on the Saturday morning, put a hair mask on it so it didn't turn to straw, hid with orangey blonde hair (I had had a reddish colour in it up to that point) and then dyed it magenta on the Sunday night so I wasn't attacking it with all those chemicals all at once. If you're bleaching your hair make sure it needs a good wash when you do it, the oils will protect your scalp a bit. Get some decent gloves too - you'll need them for the re-dye with the pink. The longer you have the pink hair, the less often you have to dye it, but the colour needs to build up in your hair.

Ah go on, and post a pic of your hair when it's done. It'll be fantastic! You can dye it back to your natural colour easily enough, once you've had your fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Their parents must of been too busy on their mobiles and telly to notice?

I really am too much of a coward to put bleach in my hair. My friend had sandy blonde hair, she bleached it and it came out a brown colour.
    It never came back to its own shade.

My hair is dark auburn too so it probably won't take without the bleach.

Thanks for the tips though.....maybe we can find another guinea pig for me to live vicariously through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I get my hair cut and coloured at B!ue's. Georgio really knows my hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Abigayle wrote: »
    All I can say is, I'd hate to be the parent of a teenage girl in this day and age.

Hey my parents think I'm cool :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

"They're so excited to finally have someone to love them unconditionally,"
    They don't seem to realise that when the child grows up it might not love them as much, considering how they're still in school and alone. And they may regret this decision when the baby is keeping them up all night pooping, crying and occasionally vomiting.

Yup, they're in for a harsh lesson. There's a reason there's the old saying regarding kids and how the sooner they learn to talk the sooner they learn to talk back.
    Wonder will they be idols or warnings to others though, afterall some people will do anything for media attention and that's what these girls have gotten without doing anything requiring that much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I dont know why this is such a surprise, with one of the highest numbers of teenage pregnancies in Europe if not the world there is plenty of planned teenage pregnancies here... An element would be to have someone to love and to love them, another element would be to get the many benefits offered here from the social welfare, another element to 'keep' their boyfriend and the remainder generally due to contraception letting them down or not being used... But the fact remains that many are planned.

At the end of the day, it seems that a large number of teenage pregancies would belong in a certain social strata and its more acceptable there and while there may not be a pact, there is certainly an acceptance which is not more evident in wider society...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

There's a place in temple bar that sells semi-permanent hair colour. Its a shop connected to a piercing place just off the main square. It lasts for a few washes and is only about 6 year. As a regular dyer believe me its pretty kind to the hair too! Granted I have blonde hair so the colour was probably a lot stronger. I say still try it, just leave it in longer. If you've light brown hair, just leave it in longer. If you've dark brown/black hair, that whole red tint is lovely so you could just get red! But don't stand up in the shower when you're doing it! It will colour all the dirt pink... so if you can sit down! And definately go for magenta! Its a lovely colour :) Oh and try on a pink wig or something first. I thought red might suit me until I tried on a wig BLEUGH

If you do get a more perminant, building it up will really work, but it'll take ages!

But if you really really like your colour don't bleach it. You will have to wait for it to grow out and til then you'll have to redye it your natural colour pretty frequently-the sun will make the blonde come back quicker

Oh and on the salt thing-be careful with the amounts! Salt naturally absorbs water so would end up making your hair really really dry

Being a teenager sucks! A 17 year old, leaving certer tried to give me a lecture. I glared her out of her imiturity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ok, enough of the hair dye comments. Start another thread about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Go for it!
    Its nice to see people expressing their own individuality.
    You may find after a while that you feel pressurised into conforming with whats considered the norm.
    There was a girl working in the organic food fair in Temple Bar making crepes with pink hair for years. I used tease her and her boyfriend about it. As business got better and she bought her third or 4th mobile creperie, she felt the need to allow it to grow back blond again. I miss her pink hair......
    It did look a bit funny- but it suited her, and it cheered everyone up.....

Advertisement