Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with GPS selection for north America

Options
  • 26-06-2008 4:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Going to the states on sat,
    I own a C550 street pilot with euro maps.
    I was thinking of upgrading to a 770 with north American maps as standard.

What should i do?
    * Should i buy the unit here in Ireland or wait till i go state side?
    * If i buy a gps unit in the states! Could i have trouble with chargers etc?
    and what about a warranty with the goods?

If i decide to stick it out with the older version can i simply buy an SD card(for the us map) when I'm state side or do i download it from Garmin Website.

Also does anybody know if its possible to plot a route by entering coordinates only into the 770? I know they display co-ords but i dont want to have to browse around the map trying to get to the desired co-ords.

Any help would be greatfully received. Thanks Ivan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You won't have any problem with chargers because according to the Garmin website the only 'charger' you get with the 770 is a USB cable so bring the laptop or buy a car cigarette charger which delivers 5V DC via mini-USB connector.

The 770 comes with American (US & Canada) and Europe maps, you definitely need to wait until you go over there to buy it, given the current exchange rate as it will be much cheaper than it is over here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I recently investigated getting a SatNav for a holiday in the US. Even taking into account the conversion at the moment, it ISN'T cheaper gettiing it in the US, believe it or not. I got a Nuvi 270 from Global Gizmos in the UK cheaper than I could find it online in the States.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

whiterebel wrote: »
    I recently investigated getting a SatNav for a holiday in the US. Even taking into account the conversion at the moment, it ISN'T cheaper gettiing it in the US, believe it or not. I got a Nuvi 270 from Global Gizmos in the UK cheaper than I could find it online in the States.
    Well its to late now as i be state side by this time tomorrow, thanks lads for the replies.

regards Ivan

Advertisement