Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Argos carpark-Headford road

Options
  • 26-06-2008 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

How did this happen?

Two of the most popular retail outlets in the country side by side with a carpark too small to cater for even one store..it is a mess.
    Just came from there and its the usual tailback on the Headford road..much of it caused by cars queuing to try and get into the carpark, while those in the front of the queue are waiting to get that elusive parking space.

Every other Lidl I've been in around the country..many in much smaller towns..have carparks 2/3 times that size.

Since I moved here, I have noticed that many of the big retail outlets seem to neglect Galway. Most big outlets seem to be crammed in with each other (Headford road shopping centre and the retail park across the road, for example) with inadequate parking space. Maybe they can't get planning for their own site?

The Lidl/Argos scenario is a farce, cannot figure out how it got the go-ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Cole wrote: »

The Lidl/Argos scenario is a farce, cannot figure out how it got the go-ahead.

Join the club! Welcome to the wonderful world of the galway city council where planning permission is granted for badly planned, puck-ugly buildings and can be built as long as its a money-spinner for the right people. Car parking spaces simply takes up too much valuable retail space dontcha know?!

You could always try and park in the carpark accross the road on the dyke road, in fact thats probably what they expect you to do...I sh!t thee not

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

What I don't get is why there are four supermarkets on the same road but f73k all anywhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Galway is c8ck. I hate this c8nt of a city and can't wait to get out of it and I think that everyone who says they like it secretly hates it and is full of sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Galway is c8ck. I hate this c8nt of a city and can't wait to get out of it and I think that everyone who says they like it secretly hates it and is full of sh*t.

tell us how ya really feel!! :D

we've had too much people saying they love Galway, time to redress the balance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Any chance of a hug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Go back to Mayo please :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Sconsey wrote: »

Mind your own business now cu*nty balls. Buy yourself a sense of humor in the joke shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

YEEOUCH! Insults a flying. i gotta agree with workaccount on this,galway sucks. best year of my life was the one i spent out of Galway. stuck here for two more years due to college and it makes me depressed. Stupid lidl argos carpark, been nearly run over so many times there with the cars having no room to budge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think it's fantastic having 4 main grocery chains along one another, it brings down prices and it means less travelling for us pedestrians.

And dafunk, there are plenty of supermarkets located away from the headford road area, do you want a list?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's nigh on impossible to deport them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Since I moved here, I have noticed that many of the big retail outlets seem to neglect Galway. Most big outlets seem to be crammed in with each other (Headford road shopping centre and the retail park across the road, for example) with inadequate parking space. Maybe they can't get planning for their own site?

you'd be surprised how profitable that retail park is. i used to work in one of the shops there and it was always among the top 5 selling shops in the company despite its small size. it's all about the fact that it's so close to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mind your own business now cu*nty balls. Buy yourself a sense of humor in the joke shop.

girl_fight.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

^^^

You forgot the handbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I told myself I hated Galway but now after I've been living in a desert for a year (Las Vegas, USA) I'm pining for the fjords as they say.

And I lived right by that car park. The devil himself helped to design it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Galway is an Enigma of a city... Where else can you have the highest rainfall in Ireland yet teh water is unsafe to drink? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    we've had too much people saying they love Galway, time to redress the balance!

I often hear people comment how much they love Galway, generally the blow in's [I'm one also]. It's usually along the lines of 'how they came here on holidays/student, fell in love with the place and never left' etc.

I like Galway. The size and ease of getting around [traffic is a non issue for me, having had to brave the Dublin rush hour(s)] The atmosphere is good, friendly and safe and the countryside is on your doorstep.

But there seems to be such a care free attitude here that no one objects to anything or demands a competent service/accountability from their public servants. I know this is a national problem from us Irish, but Galway really excels at apathy..the water situation last year, for example.

Great place to live for a while, but don't know if I could settle here permanently.

But there seems to be such a care free attitude here that no one objects to anything or demands a competent service/accountability from their public servants. I know this is a national problem from us Irish, but Galway really excels at apathy..the water situation last year, for example.

Don't paint everyone with the same brush. There are a group of people in Galway currently challenging proposed bye-laws. This group will go as far as standing outside County Halls protesting if needs be

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055320986

Rumour has it some guy is willing to chain himself to the railings..... naked :eek::D

Creating a thread on Boards complaining about it will amount to sweet feck all. If you are really annoyed about it, go to the county council. Get your voice heard. Set up petitions. A lot of people will have the same opinion as you.

Failing that. Dump the car and get a bike. One with a carrier basket.

Creating a thread on Boards complaining about it will amount to sweet feck all. If you are really annoyed about it, go to the county council. Get your voice heard. Set up petitions. A lot of people will have the same opinion as you.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Unfortunately several of our "public servants" treat the public with disdain, and don't wish to rock the boat by trying to implement changes (I can name several I've had the misfortune of meeting over the years).

That said, there are plenty who do there best to see that things are done right, or who try to listen to what the public want. Part of the problem is that they get bound in red tape, and eventually leave and go to other authorities (again, I could name a few).

As I heard said recently, you never see a civil servant fired for not doing anything!!!

Advertisement