Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

machine recommendation

• 26-06-2008 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Hi, is the Gaggia Dose any good? I will be getting a espresso machine aswell as a good grinder, this one is on sale and I can get it for about 200, is it a good one to go for, or should I be looking at something else? (would like to make americano, cappucino, latte's etc) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

For €200 new? The Gaggia Baby Dose? Sounds like a very very good deal (steam wand is crap though). May I ask where?

*edit* +1 for sticky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

i dont think its the baby, as its not red? its 240 list price, but I know someone that can get a further discount, is 240 a good price? if so i'll happily tell ya's

how bad is the steam wand? whats the downside?

the baby dose comes in silver or red afaik.

I don't think there's a non-Baby Gaggia Dose. :?:

The steam wand has a plastic attachment called a panarello. This effectively achieves big bubbly froth. If you want silky smooth microfoam you have to remove the plastic attachment, but then you're only left with a little stubby steam wand (which is problematic).

ah ok, so would I be better going for another machine you recommended before? i'll get the gf to double check the name, all she said was it was a Gaggia Dose, but hey thats women for ya :D

There's always a better machine. But if you can get a Gaggia Baby Dose for €200 it would represent very good value for money. Its easy enough to fit a Rancilio Silvia steam wand onto a Gaggia (well the Classic at least - assume the same for the Baby line). These can be sourced from happydonkey.co.uk.

You could spend twice as much (or more) on a Rancilio Silvia, won't be twice as good though.

• Advertisement

ok, thanks for the help, i'll double check what actually is on sale, then post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

Hi all

I have been watching this forum recently as I gave a friend of mine a Gaggia Dose as a wedding present and was really impressed with the coffee from it.

I would consider getting one myself but when I look online I see so many Gaggia coffee machines it gets a bit confussing. I seem to be focused on Gaggia machines for some reason :rolleyes:

So basically my questions are as follows
    1) With a budget of about 200-250 what should you get (not including grinder obviously)
    2) What is the noticeable differences between Gaggia baby Dose/ twin/ class not to mention the Gaggia classic etc...
    3) What is Dose (is it to do with the machine remembering your coffee strength?)

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I couldn't find the differences between all the models.

the one in question is a 'Espresso Dose'

Would I be better saving for the Baby Dose? kinda confused

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

heggie wrote: »
    kinda confused
    +1

@sham08
    1. Gaggia Classic (ok - a bit over budget)/ I suppose the normal Baby can be got for about €260 http://www.coffeeitalia.ie/new_gaggia_coffee_machine_abs_baby.php
    2. Baby dose = automatic. Baby class = semi automatic. Baby twin = automatic + thermoblock (theoretically faster steam).
    3. The dose machines refer to delivering a preset volume of water. This makes them an "automatic" as opposed to the Classic which is a semi-automatic (you start and stop the water yourself).

@heggie - never seen an Espresso Dose. AFAIK the "Espresso" line lack the solenoid. That may well be the only difference. Much harder to keep a machine without a solenoid clean. Plus there's always a chance of painting your walls with ground coffee due to the dreaded portafilter sneeze. Personally I'd go for the Baby Dose (actually I'd go for the Classic if I was choosing).

• Advertisement

thanks, was told they dont make the classic anymore? anyone know the replacement? i'll save up a bit more i think, cheers

The baby kind of is the replacement. Personally I prefer the styling of the Classic and the re-assuring "clack" of the Classic's buttons.

Can still get the classic on espressocoffeeshop.com

Advertisement