Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the CIAT, Procedures, Tips, Advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TaraP

sydthebeat wrote: »
    TaraP, just to clarify... when i qualified from Bolton Street DIT in 1999, the course wasnt accrediated by the CIAT? is that correct?
    Hi Syd
    No Irish course has ever been approved or accredited by CIAT unfortunately. CIAT has endeavoured to promote Accreditation and Approval in Ireland and as you probably know we have a very active regional centre there but no Irish Institute has ever applied to us for Accreditation or Approval.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thank you for the swift response Tara...

thats disappointing form from the universities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

There seems to be a lack of engagement from universities / Institutes of Technology in general with all accrediting organisations - only 2 RIAI accredited Architectural Technology courses in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

TaraP wrote: »
    Hi Syd
    No Irish course has ever been approved or accredited by CIAT unfortunately. CIAT has endeavoured to promote Accreditation and Approval in Ireland and as you probably know we have a very active regional centre there but no Irish Institute has ever applied to us for Accreditation or Approval.

Tara isn't there some question that the CIAT does not believe that Irish 3 year courses do not meet the standard of the equivalent 3 year course in the UK ? I have heard this on numerous occasions over the past 2 years and wondered if it's true ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Tara I have a Diploma and Ordinary degree (level 7 NQAI as far as I know) but they do predate the NQAI by a few years!! Can they be mapped. I will look at the TCIAT pop record, I havn't so far as I'm already a profile member going straight to MCIAT (self Employed) But I know there are number of people of my vintage on older who have recently joined or are seriously considering joining. I also would like to thank yourself and James for posting here, its great to see an institute like CIAT engaging with its members and prospective members in such a proactive way.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

RKQ wrote: »
    Hi TaraP,
    Would these educational establishments have "maps" on file for past students - going back 22 years? Waterford Institute of Technology.

I have a number of friendsthat are members of CIAT. Having done the same course, is it of any help to me as CIAT would already have a record of the course subjects etc for those years.

I agree with No.6.
    Nice to you see Tara and James actively engaging with members (and potential members like me) of CIAT on this forum.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

RKQ wrote: »
    Nice to you see Tara and James actively engaging with members (and potential members like me) of CIAT on this forum.:)
    It is indeed a welcomed development and nice to see a bit of interaction here as it eliminates all the speculation and gets the answers directly from the source.

Supertech wrote: »
    Tara isn't there some question that the CIAT does not believe that Irish 3 year courses do not meet the standard of the equivalent 3 year course in the UK ? I have heard this on numerous occasions over the past 2 years and wondered if it's true ?
    Hi Supertech. CIAT cannot recognise the Irish courses as being equivalent to the Honours Degrees in UK as the NQAI (Irish regulators) has mapped it to BSc (i.e. NOT Honours) Degree level which would equate to entry to progress to TCIAT grade. Therefore it is not CIAT who has made the decision not to recognise the courses - the NQAI would have carried out a recognition/equivalence exercise and decided that the BSc in ROI is Level 7. Level 8 is required by CIAT for entry onto MCIAT grade. This is a condition of our Royal Charter.

In response to RKQ and No6 - if your course has not been approved by CIAT then there is no real point in mapping it to our standards. When CIAT approves or accredits universities or colleges we look at more than just the course content. We look at facilities, staff, learning experience to name but a few things. The mapping will allow exemptions to the POP record - but only if the course is approved or accredited. So if the course is not approved, you will have to complete the whole POP record anyway so mapping would be a bit of a futile exercise at this point. As long as you have an AT-related qualification then you will be fine to join as ACIAT to progress to TCIAT then MCIAT if you want.

Glad you appreciate James and I posting here - it's also useful for us to see what issues you have and we can address a wider audience. We feel strongly about helping members in Ireland and trying to increase membership which will in turn improve recognition of the Institute but more importantly, the discipline of Architectural Technology. The more support we get - the more support we can offer. Cheers all.

Communication is so important.
    CIAT is the only organisation in Ireland, to communicate directly with its Architectural Technician / Technology members or potential members.

Such attempts to help and communicate, at a national level are very welcome.
    This communication will no doubt help people to decide on which organisation to join.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Supermouser

As far as I know few courses in UK match any of thr Irish.
    Some don't even have a drawing element???????????????
    Well that's the way it was a number of years ago.
    They are very diverse.
    Don't know how CIAT can validate such a mixed bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Supermouser

This is as about an obscure place to have a discussion as you could find.

I was told it existed but had to get a link to find it.

Didn't think Rec was a place for this under Home and Garden! ! ! ! ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

They are very diverse.
    I have no idea what your point is. Maybe explain it a bit more.

This is as about an obscure place to have a discussion as you could find.

I was told it existed but had to get a link to find it.

Didn't think Rec was a place for this under Home and Garden! ! ! ! ???
    Had I known you were on your way I would have put out some directional and welcome signs :rolleyes:

If you feel that the forum is in the wrong place then start a thread in the feedback forum about it. Now stay on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

TARAP, Will the CIAT continue to have discussions with the LAw Society in Ireland with the view to them accepting Certificates of Compliance from MCIAT members?

As far as I know few courses in UK match any of thr Irish.
    Some don't even have a drawing element???????????????
    Well that's the way it was a number of years ago.
    They are very diverse.
    Not quite sure from where you source this information but I can reassure you that CIAT has rigorous guidelines for accreditation and all programmes must be mapped to the QAA Benchmark Statement for Architectural Technology, CIAT professional standards and CIC Graduate Learning Outcomes. More details can be found on our website or email me directly.

All programmes WILL differ in some way as each programme will have a USP depending on staff, facilities, regional location, industry input etc but the core themes critical to Architectural Technology will appear in every programme accredited by CIAT.

TARAP, Will the CIAT continue to have discussions with the LAw Society in Ireland with the view to them accepting Certificates of Compliance from MCIAT members?
    Hi pseudo-tech. This isn't really within my remit but CIAT and its legal advisors are in contact with the Law Society in relation to Opinions of Compliance. My colleague dealing with this is off work for a couple of weeks but when she gets back I'll find out more from her.

Hi TaraP, I appreciate your quick response. The CIAT is starting to build up a lot of support here in Ireland due to the poor representation by other bodies. Keep up the good work and hopefully everyone over here will have the good sense and join the CIAT and add their support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Is there anyone interested in doing a pop record workshop. If we can get enough people we may be able to orgonise one.

Is it just I or does anyone else feel that the pop record is written in a form of English that is not in keeping with the Queen's English. We appreciate that we gave them Yeats, Wilde and Joyce to explain how the English language should be spoken but it is evident that the document was not prepared by someone whose first language is English. The need for a workshop is for explanation of what exactly they are looking for, not the quality or content of what is required. Do anyone else feel that this document should be reviewed/ rewritten to remove the confusion?

Is it just I or does anyone else feel that the pop record is written in a form of English that is not in keeping with the Queen's English. We appreciate that we gave them Yeats, Wilde and Joyce to explain how the English language should be spoken but it is evident that the document was not prepared by someone whose first language is English. The need for a workshop is for explanation of what exactly they are looking for, not the quality or content of what is required. Do anyone else feel that this document should be reviewed/ rewritten to remove the confusion?

I have to agree but i see they have added new examples on their site which may help.

• Advertisement

CIAT has set up a taskforce to review the POP Record, i.e. its structure and the language used. The content (competences) must remain the same though. I didn't write it....:D

TaraP, refreshing, objective response as always. If the CIAT decide to open an Irish office, maybe you might move over here. Your honesty is much appreciated by a professional body of people who have been misled by other organisation here in Ireland for years.

I have just been informed that the hons degree in CIT has recieved accreditation from CIAT.

topcatcbr wrote: »
    I have just been informed that the hons degree in CIT has recieved accreditation from CIAT.

Topcatcbr - Can you let me know where you got that information please?

TaraP wrote: »
    Topcatcbr - Can you let me know where you got that information please?

I will PM you as i do not want to publish names on forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Membership@CIAT

Sorry but I have not been on here for a while.

However in response to a post in August, If there is enough demand, I have no problems arranging POP Workshops, in the Republic of Ireland, assuming they will be well attended!!

FYI - The Membership Department held a POP Workshop on 3 June 2008 in Dublin and the turnout/interest was some what disappointing.

James

Sorry but I have not been on here for a while.

However in response to a post in August, If there is enough demand, I have no problems arranging POP Workshops, in the Republic of Ireland, assuming they will be well attended!!

FYI - The Membership Department held a POP Workshop on 3 June 2008 in Dublin and the turnout/interest was some what disappointing.

James

Hi James I would be interested in attending any future workshops. Please keep us informed.

James

I am dissappointed to hear that, maybe a POP Workshop in Wexford, Waterford or Kilkenny might be well attended. I know of a number of people that have expressed interest.

Maybe others on this page might register their interest, in a South-East Workshop?

How many would be required for a viable Workshop?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i would be very interested in attending a POP workshop.... anywhere!!
    i dont recall hearing about one happening in Dublin, perhaps this was aimed at dublin based technicians only?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Membership@CIAT

15 or so.

POP Workshops dates are now advertised in bi-monthly AT magazine and in monthly e-newsletter.

Advertisement