Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the CIAT, Procedures, Tips, Advice.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

TaraP wrote: »
    Hi Pseudo-Tech

I am currently working on recognition of the discipline of Architectural Technology and CIAT's members, as well as encouraging Architectural Technology programmes at educational establishments to become accredited against our recognised standards. We now have 29 accredited universities UK-wide and 2 approved establishments in HK. I have been approached by professional bodies in Canada, Denmark and Italy to work together on mutual recognition of members. Other countries are in the pipeline. There are currently no formal agreements with regard to recognition overseas although this is an important activity which CIAT is actively pursuing.

I have spoken to the Practice Dept. regarding the query about Building Control and recognition of Architectural Technologists. Please refer to Building Control Act 2007 (Number 21), Section 18, (sub-section 4) page 26 "the use by a person of the words...architectural technician, architectural technologist...to describe himself or herself does not, in and of itself, constitute a contravention of subsection 1."

Tara
    Thanks Tara for your prompt response. Are the CIAT recognised in Ireland, the same way they are recognised in England, specifically in relation to certification with lending institutes?

The Building Control Bill was put in place to register titles i.e. Architect etc. I feel that this may be used to restrict the services provided by self-employed Architectural Technician's/ Technologists who generally have to state that they have practiced as Architects for more than 10 years in order for our certificates to be acceptable by the Law Society. Will membership of the CIAT protect against this into the future??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TaraP

Pseudo-tech, your queries are really for the Practice Department. It would be easier to email them directly with your questions. practice@ciat.org.uk

TaraP wrote: »
    Pseudo-tech, your queries are really for the Practice Department. It would be easier to email them directly with your questions. practice@ciat.org.uk

Thanks Tara, I will do that. I was just hoping that everyone else on this forum would benefit from the answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Arrakis

I've a question to direct to the CIAT...

I've now sent off my application forms. fees etc...and expect to receive my pack soon. We tendered for a local job and (with a lot of work) just got the go ahead and approval. It will take the form of a design, inception to completion, managed project. I was advised to use this job for my POP records as I am the designer, and will be managing the build...

Are you able to lay out a brief list of key pointers that I can use to ensure that I'm getting the most value from this project with regard to applying them to my POP's...what should I be keeping a close eye on??

Your advise will be gratefully received...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Membership@CIAT

Please ring me on 0207 278 2206 and I can talk you through the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Who is going to the POP workshop on 16 April 2009 at City North Hotel 11.30 to 13.00.

I have confirmed this.

Formal Invite Below:

On Thursday 16 April 2009 at the City North Hotel, Gormanston, County Meath, in Ireland, the membership department will be giving advice on the process of the Professional and Occupational Performance (POP) Records.

If you are looking to progress your membership and find that you are having problems with the POP record or have some membership issues that you wish to discuss, then this might be an opportunity for you to attend.

We will try and give you as much advice and guidance as possible in order to help you progress your membership to either Technician (TCIAT) or Chartered (MCIAT) membership. Please note, that there will be no technical guidance provided by CIAT staff, however guidance on the format to present the evidence and the whole POP process will be available.

This workshop will be in a seminar format and will be held from 11.30 - 13.00 hrs. You can only attend if you have been reserved a slot. Space is limited!

To reserve a space, please email amina@ciat.org.uk immediately.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Membership Dept.

If you are a non member and you wish to attend please private messgae me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 treviesweets

I am currently a student member of the CIAT, on finishing my honours degree this June, will I automatically be transferred, profile candidate status or associate membership (its a non accreditation course, although we were practically shouting at our department head the other day to get on with it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TaraP

I am currently a student member of the CIAT, on finishing my honours degree this June, will I automatically be transferred, profile candidate status or associate membership (its a non accreditation course, although we were practically shouting at our department head the other day to get on with it!)

Hi Treviesweets. You won't be automatically transferred to ACIAT; you can contact us and apply or we will issue a reminder to you. If you are on an Honours Degree in Architectural Technology you are eligible to join as an ACIAT with a view to completing the POP Record for MCIAT. However, as you're not on a CIAT accredited programme you will not be eligible for any exemptions within the POP Record as the programme hasn't been mapped to CIAT standards. Does that answer your question? If you have any more Education queries then let me know. James can help with Membership queries.

Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 14 treviesweets

Yep that answers my question perfectly, thank you very much Tara.

• Advertisement

There is talk of another POP Workshop at Jurys, Western Road, Cork on 12 May 2009 6-7pm.......

I am just seeing how many are interested and if a visit is justifiable

The plan is to have a Chartered Member who has completed the POP Record and passed the Professional Practice Interview to speak of his experiences of the whole process in Cork.

FYI - The POP Workshop at City North Hotel 16 April 2009 will have one and maybe two Chartered Members who have completed the POP Record and passed the Professional Practice Interview speaking of their experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

I'd like to attend. I can't get to the April 16th event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Thanks to those who orgonised the POP workshop yesterday. I found it very usefull.

The Membership Department will be offering advice on the process of completing the Professional and Occupational Performance (POP) Records.

The details of the venue are as follows:

Date: Tuesday 12 May 2009
    Venue: Jurys Cork Hotel, Western Road, Cork, Ireland
    Time: 18.00 - 19.00

If you are looking to progress your membership and find that you are having problems with the POP record or have some membership issues that you wish to discuss, then this might be an opportunity for you to attend.

We will try and give you as much advice and guidance as possible in order to help you progress your membership to either Technician (TCIAT) or Chartered (MCIAT) membership. Please note, that there will be no technical guidance provided by CIAT staff, however guidance on the format to present the evidence and the whole POP process will be available.

To register your interest, please email amina@ciat.org.uk immediately.

We look forward to hearing from you.

If you are not a member and wish to attend please private message me.

Kind regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 WhatsTheStorey

Very informative again CIAT. I can push on now!

Question for CIAT...if someone has qualified with the institute having the designation of MCIAT, can they join the RIAI as a technical member, as they would be a graduate and/or at graduate level by having their professional performance competencies and the required underpinning knowledge assessed??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Arrakis I dont think so, the RIAI have their proceedures for joining as do CIAT.

I have to agree with No.6. However, CIOB will recognise MCIAT if you want to advance there!

Only current routes to RIAI Architectural Technician Membership are
    a) Graduate from an RIAI accredited course in Architectural Technology + 2 years post graduate work experience with RIAI (or similar) practice OR
    b) 10 years experience + Architectural Technician Entry Exam. The 10 years can include a non RIAI accredited course. There's no recognition for memberships of any other organisations.

Thanks for the feedback...but the MCIAT (on their web site) states that;

All Chartered Members of CIAT are eligible to apply for positions which stipulate within their criteria 'must be a graduate or graduate level' (or similar)

and that...

This equivalence was independently audited by the Privy Council and DFES (now split between the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and Department of Children, Schools and Families) and further recognised under the European Directive 2005/36/EC on mutual recognition during the Institute’s Chartered Petition in 2005.

Chartered Members without degrees are therefore eligible to apply for jobs seeking a candidate at graduate level accordingly.

I know this is a UK based institute but surely the RIAI follow the EU Directive also??

• Advertisement

Arrakis wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback...but the MCIAT (on their web site) states that;

All Chartered Members of CIAT are eligible to apply for positions which stipulate within their criteria 'must be a graduate or graduate level' (or similar)

and that...

This equivalence was independently audited by the Privy Council and DFES (now split between the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and Department of Children, Schools and Families) and further recognised under the European Directive 2005/36/EC on mutual recognition during the Institute’s Chartered Petition in 2005.

Chartered Members without degrees are therefore eligible to apply for jobs seeking a candidate at graduate level accordingly.

I know this is a UK based institute but surely the RIAI follow the EU Directive also??

It's possibly a question you should really address to the RIAI. Is it that you are already an MCIAT and want to join the RIAI too or not elligilbe for the RIAI and looking for an alternative route to Tech membership?

Heading towards MCIAT, hope to have it by Christmas? Then I was hoping to join RIAI as a technical member, but don't fancy paying lots and sitting more exams, I mean I've 18 years of fab experience...I'm still working (for now!) but would like to have the option of setting up on my own at a later date...

I didn't have to do the exam to join so i don't know how hard or expensive it is, although with 18 years experience it should be a breeze for you. A lot of MCIAT's in Ireland run their own practices.

Arrakis wrote: »
    Heading towards MCIAT, hope to have it by Christmas? Then I was hoping to join RIAI as a technical member, but don't fancy paying lots and sitting more exams, I mean I've 18 years of fab experience...I'm still working (for now!) but would like to have the option of setting up on my own at a later date...

Arrakis, if you ultimate goal is to become self-employed, I don't see what RIAI (Arch Tech) will do for you. The RIAI provide good CPD but other than that the support for Technician's is not great.

The CIAT have many self-employed members both here and in England. They support their members in England with standard documents like the RIAI support Architects here in Ireland. Maybe the CIAT should look at preparing similar documents for their members in Ireland.

The best of luck with whatever you choose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Arrakis, if you ultimate goal is to become self-employed, I don't see what RIAI (Arch Tech) will do for you. The RIAI provide good CPD but other than that the support for Technician's is not great.

The CIAT have many self-employed members both here and in England. They support their members in England with standard documents like the RIAI support Architects here in Ireland. Maybe the CIAT should look at preparing similar documents for their members in Ireland.

The best of luck with whatever you choose!!
    I pretty much agree with this.
    There is no real need for joing both at the minute.
    CIAT is more AT focused, RIAI is more recognaised in Ireland (by laypeople, ie the clients)

RIAI need to offer more AT support and docs,
    CIAT need to offer more Irish support and docs

I am unlikely to join any until either they change, or I go it alone (possible in the current climate)

The EU Directive you refer to relates to Architects only, and RIAI do follow it for that profession. However, there is no such directive for Architectural Technicians.

As has been said above already, the RIAI offer little in terms of real support for their AT members at present, particularly those who are self employed.

Mellor wrote: »
    I pretty much agree with this.
    There is no real need for joing both at the minute.
    CIAT is more AT focused, RIAI is more recognaised in Ireland (by laypeople, ie the clients)

RIAI need to offer more AT support and docs,
    CIAT need to offer more Irish support and docs

I am unlikely to join any until either they change, or I go it alone (possible in the current climate)

I am a member of both and find the RIAI great for news what is happening in Ireland, changes in Legilation and advice to their members (mainly architects but we get the same information.) Not great for their support of Tech's

CIAT is totally about AT's and I have found them fantastic, they do not have the same resources in Ireland as the RIAI so much of what happens is done by members on a voluntary basis. There is supposed to be Irish practice Doccumentation on the way or it may already be available but you have to be a MCIAT to be able to get it, I would honestly reccomend anyone to join, there is plenty of support there if you look for it from the Irish members.

If you are thinking of going alone I would definately join CIAT asap as the pop record process does take around a year for most people. You can of course join the RIAI instantly if you have done an approved course (DIT & Waterford only at the moment I think) and have two years experience in an RIAI practice

No6 wrote: »
    I am a member of both and find the RIAI great for news what is happening in Ireland, changes in Legilation and advice to their members (mainly architects but we get the same information.) Not great for their support of Tech's

CIAT is totally about AT's and I have found them fantastic, they do not have the same resources in Ireland as the RIAI so much of what happens is done by members on a voluntary basis. There is supposed to be Irish practice Doccumentation on the way or it may already be available but you have to be a MCIAT to be able to get it, I would honestly reccomend anyone to join, there is plenty of support there if you look for it from the Irish members.

If you are thinking of going alone I would definately join CIAT asap as the pop record process does take around a year for most people. You can of course join the RIAI instantly if you have done an approved course (DIT & Waterford only at the moment I think) and have two years experience in an RIAI practice

I have to agree with No. 6. I am also a member of both organisations and find the difference immense!

I would suggest that the more people that join the CIAT the stronger will be the representation. Also it is important to note that Technician don't have an equal vote within the RIAI so we will never change their how we are treated to any meaningful extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No6 wrote: »

Is there any way to go straight for the MCIAT pop record as an irish AT?
    and can the areas on the 'T' POP that are repeated on the 'M' POP be transfer if you have already completed the T 'POP' (TCIAT)

• Advertisement

If you have enough experience 10 years I think you can go striaght for the MCIAT as a profile candidate if you are self employed, the TCIAT is a relatively new title and there are not many TCIAT members, most people go straight for MCIAT. If you are in employment you can join as an ACIAT and go straight to the MCIAT if you feel you are ready for it. Heres are some links for the CIAT website, if you have any questions on membership James Banks in Londin will help you.

http://www.ciat.org.uk/en/members/Join_CIAT/Grades/Associate.cfm

http://www.ciat.org.uk/en/members/Join_CIAT/Grades/Profile_candidate.cfm

Advertisement