Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the CIAT, Procedures, Tips, Advice.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No6 wrote: »
    If you have enough experience 10 years I think you can go striaght for the MCIAT as a profile candidate if you are self employed, the TCIAT is a relatively new title and there are not many TCIAT members, most people go straight for MCIAT. If you are in employment you can join as an ACIAT and go straight to the MCIAT if you feel you are ready for it. Heres are some links for the CIAT website, if you have any questions on membership James Banks in Londin will help you.

http://www.ciat.org.uk/en/members/Join_CIAT/Grades/Associate.cfm

http://www.ciat.org.uk/en/members/Join_CIAT/Grades/Profile_candidate.cfm
    What about options without 10 years expierence?

From the CIAT website
    Standard progression
    Associate members or profile candidates qualified to Honours degree, NVQ/SVQ level 4 or above, in a construction industry related programme, will be able to progress to Chartered Membership via the completion of the Chartered Architectural Technologist Professional and Occupational Performance (POP) Record, under an approved Supervisor. The applicant must then pass a Professional Practice Interview to attain Chartered Membership.

Do any irish degrees quailify for standard progression?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

Mellor wrote: »
    What about options without 10 years expierence?

From the CIAT website

Do any irish degrees quailify for standard progression?

Not yet because none of the ITs applied for recognition. However, I believe WIT have recently made an application. So hopefully, graduates from there will not have to jump the hurdles that all the rest of us had to!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Not yet because none of the ITs applied for recognition. However, I believe WIT have recently made an application. So hopefully, graduates from there will not have to jump the hurdles that all the rest of us had to!!
    But all a CIAT recognised Degree give's you is some exemptions from the underpinning knowlege sections, Its is a bit of a pain that you have to do a little more typing but thats all it is. You can use your Irish degree as a basis for how you know what you know.

I do however hope that some Irsih Colleges get on with it and get recognition its a disgrace that none have bothered so far, the more professional recognition a course has the better it is IMO, the more likely people will still apply for it, the better off it will be for its graduates.

But all a CIAT recognised Degree give's you is some exemptions from the underpinning knowlege sections, Its is a bit of a pain that you have to do a little more typing but thats all it is. You can use your Irish degree as a basis for how you know what you know.

I do however hope that some Irsih Colleges get on with it and get recognition its a disgrace that none have bothered so far, the more professional recognition a course has the better it is IMO, the more likely people will still apply for it, the better off it will be for its graduates.

Not alone do you get exemptions, you don't have to wait 10 years to apply for MCIAT.

I do believe that WIT have applied or in the process of doing so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Anyone any definite confirmation on this and on when the application process is likely to be completed ?

Will it be approved for this year crop of graduates ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Membership@CIAT

The Course at Waterford Institute is now accredited by CIAT. The exemptions will only apply to those students who graduate from the CIAT course from when it achieved accreditation.

Are both courses approved - Ordinary Degree and Honours ? The 3 year Level 7 course feeds the 4th year Level 8, but are 2 different courses as I understand it.

That's a great move by WIT. I would like to see all the others following on from that!

Finally one Course in Ireland has got accredited, lets hop a few more follow!!!

CIAT only accredit BSc(Hons) courses. So that would equate to NQAI Level 8.

• Advertisement

CIAT only accredit BSc(Hons) courses. So that would equate to NQAI Level 8.
    Thanks for your response. The reason I ask is that the CIAT Annual Report, uses the term 'approval' for WIT's 'BSc Architectural Technology Programme', rather than 'accreditation' with no mention of the Level of the approved course. I understood approval to relate to sub honours degree courses (from CIAT website) so I just wondered which was correct.

The Course at Waterford Institute is now accredited by CIAT. The exemptions will only apply to those students who graduate from the CIAT course from when it achieved accreditation.

Accredited is the term used supertech by CIAT themselves so Accredited it must be, and I have to say very well done to WIT its a brave move being the first off the fence particuraly in the face of some opposition to CIAT from other colleges and in this day and age will be of huge benefit to their students particuraly if (when) they have to work in the uk or even further afield.

Accredited is the term used supertech by CIAT themselves so Accredited it must be, and I have to say very well done to WIT its a brave move being the first off the fence particuraly in the face of some opposition to CIAT from other colleges and in this day and age will be of huge benefit to their students particuraly if (when) they have to work in the uk or even further afield.

I couldn't put it any better myself. There is a need for the other colleges to step up now and ensure that there graduates are recognised professionally.

Again No.6, thanks for your reply. The move by WIT is indeed to be welcomed. However, I asked the original question for a specific reason. As you say 'accreditation' is the term used by CIAT, but the annual report refers specifically to 'approval', when referring to the WIT BSc Architectural Technology programme, which, according to the CIAT website refers to a programme "offered at sub-Honours degree level" and leads to "Associate membership (ACIAT) and subsequent progression to Architectural Technician membership (TCIAT)"

While 'accreditation' is described as follows :

"CIAT Accreditation demonstrates that a university’s Architectural Technology Honours degree programme has been assessed in terms of content, structure and resources. It also provides assurances that students will be able to develop their academic, analytical, communication and employability skills.
    CIAT Accreditation allows certain exemptions when progressing to Chartered Membership of CIAT (MCIAT)"

There's a huge difference, namely in the level of membership conferred and I wonder therefore if Membership@CIAT could clarify which status is correct i.e. is the Level 8 Honours Degree in WIT accredited leading to MCIAT status on completion of the POP Record ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Supertech wrote: »
    Again No.6, thanks for your reply. The move by WIT is indeed to be welcomed. However, I asked the original question for a specific reason. As you say 'accreditation' is the term used by CIAT, but the annual report refers specifically to 'approval', when referring to the WIT BSc Architectural Technology programme, which, according to the CIAT website refers to a programme "offered at sub-Honours degree level" and leads to "Associate membership (ACIAT) and subsequent progression to Architectural Technician membership (TCIAT)"

While 'accreditation' is described as follows :

"CIAT Accreditation demonstrates that a university’s Architectural Technology Honours degree programme has been assessed in terms of content, structure and resources. It also provides assurances that students will be able to develop their academic, analytical, communication and employability skills.
    CIAT Accreditation allows certain exemptions when progressing to Chartered Membership of CIAT (MCIAT)"

There's a huge difference, namely in the level of membership conferred and I wonder therefore if Membership@CIAT could clarify which status is correct i.e. is the Level 8 Honours Degree in WIT accredited leading to MCIAT status on completion of the POP Record ?

I think the term approval is used until such time as course graduates are available and their work reviewed as a means of ensuring that the course "what is says on the tin"

The BSc(Hons) in Architectural Technology @ WIT has gained Accreditation in Principle. This qualification will lead to ACIAT then MCIAT. You will also get knowledge exemptions within the MCIAT POP Record

The BSc in Architectural Technology @ WIT is an approved course. This qualification will lead to ACIAT then TCIAT before MCIAT. This course will not gain knowledge exemptions within TCIAT or MCIAT POP Records.

However the knowledge learnt on the BSc can be used when completing the knowledge sections within the respective POP Records.

I hope this clarifies the queries?

Thanks. That clarifies the issue completely and is great news.

Trying to get the CIAT ball rolling.
    Finding a supervisor is difficult when you are out of the country, (or out of employment)

On I struggle

There is a list of supervisors available, email james@ciat.org.uk. However they may charge a fee for there time.

I've actually been in correspondence with James (and some others when he is out of the office).
    He gave me a list of permissible qualifications.
    I wouldn't have a problem with paying a reasonable fee, my problem is that I'm hoping to complete it from overseas, so the supervisor is only required at the final stages to check my POP, and evidence etc. But I have to nominate now.

PS: I can post the permissible qualifications if people are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mellor wrote: »
    PS: I can post the permissible qualifications if people are interested.
    Go for it :)

In order to act as a supervisor, you must have one of the following qualifications;

MCIAT Charter member (technologist) of CIAT

ARB Qualified Architect

RIBA Full membership Royal Institute of British Architects (former designations ARIBA and FRIBA also recognised)

F/MCIOB Fellow or Full Member of Chartered Institute of Building

F/MRICS Fellow or Full Member Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

MICE Full Member of Institute of Civil Engineers

CEng Full Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology

MIStructEng Full Member of Institution of Structural Engineers

FASI/MASI Fellow or Full Member of Architects and Surveyors Engineers

MRTPI Full Member of Royal Town Planning Institute

MIEI Full Member of Institute of Engineers of Ireland (accepted by Institution of Civil Engineers as equivalent to "MICE")

F/ARIAS Fellow or Associate of Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland

MBEng Full Member of Association of Building Engineers

MRIAI Full Member of Royal Institute of Architects in Ireland (equivalent to membership of RIBA)

MRSUA Full Member of the Royal Society of Ulster Architects

MCIBSE Full Member of Chartered Institute of Building Service Engineers

TCIAT * (valid for TCIAT POP record only)

If any of the regulars have one of the above quailifications, could them drop me a PM.

Advertisement