Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what will we do when euro 08 ends?!

• 26-06-2008 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

im worried!no football until the leagues all start back in august,how am i gonna get my footbll fix :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

pre season tournaments and transfer speculation ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

scruff321 wrote: »
    im worried!no football until the leagues all start back in august,how am i gonna get my footbll fix :confused:

If you are such a fan of the game as you claim to be, there will be live football every friday, some thursdays, saturdays and sundays in the eircom League every week until November.

But then again, you couldn't be that big a football fan if you didn't already know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Jesus that's twice in 1 minute I've agreed with Des!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

In all fairness going from watching the Euros to league of Ireland is like going out with Penelope Cruz and getting dumped by her and then banging Mary Harney on a one night stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Can't wait until it finishes we can get down to the serious business of transfers.

Also looks like lots of pre season games are going to be on tv, Setanta are showing Arsenal V Barnet to name but one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

gixerfixer wrote: »
    In all fairness going from watching the Euros to league of Ireland is like going out with Penelope Cruz and getting dumped by her and then banging Mary Harney on a one night stand.
    LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Big Brother ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

DesF wrote: »
    If you are such a fan of the game as you claim to be, there will be live football every friday, some thursdays, saturdays and sundays in the eircom League every week until November.

But then again, you couldn't be that big a football fan if you didn't already know that.
    I'll translate that OP - if you go to some uncovered shed with a few broken seats in it every Friday, for €15 you will be treated to a festival of lads lumping the ball up and down a cabbage patch, but you will feel good as people on here will encourage the belief that you should part with your hard earned cash for this privilege as you have a duty to do so because you live near enough to the ground

In all fairness, the OP is claiming to be some kind of football junkie, I'm sure if he was he'd go to the local park and watch the local kids having a kickaround.

"football fix" me hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Desperate times call for desperate measures! Think ill start popping down to turners cross when i get home. More then anything im just gonna play as much as possible

• Advertisement

I'll translate that OP - if you go to some uncovered shed with a few broken seats in it every Friday, for €15 you will be treated to a festival of lads lumping the ball up and down a cabbage patch, but you will feel good as people on here will encourage the belief that you should part with your hard earned cash for this privilege as you have a duty to do so because you live near enough to the ground

blah blah blah blah.

top man there pal.

blah blah blah blah.

top man there pal.
    Why? Have you been enlightened by my post? And realised how sh1t the eircom League is?

Why? Have you been enlightened by my post? And realised how sh1t the eircom League is?

Last ten games you went to to form this enlightened opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

ouchie des!didnt mean to offend you,unfortunitly its kinda hard for me to get to those games when im living in a different country maybe i could fly home every week to catch them yea? :rolleyes:

Last ten games you went to to form this enlightened opinion?
    I haven't been to the Eircom League this season, and won't be going anytime soon.

Was a Waterford Utd season ticket holder up to last year and lived in Cork for a while so went to a good few matches in the cross too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

In all fairness, the OP is claiming to be some kind of football junkie, I'm sure if he was he'd go to the local park and watch the local kids having a kickaround.

"football fix" me hole.

Lol.Nah nah i see where you are coming from.I'll be honest,most LOI games i go to i think the football is actually not that bad.I dont go as much as i should (been to about maybe 50 games) since the rovers left milltown.Think the change to summer games has done the game good but you will always get people who think that EPL teams are the be and end all of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

A hole's a goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

You can still have a football lifestyle without actually watching live football:

Wake up: listen to Football Podcast

Breakfast: read football news in paper

Shower (shower radio to listen to football optional)

Internet: read football news, club(s) news, point out strangers arguments flaws

Lunch: read a choice football magazine (442)

Afternoon: Lounge on the couch watching football DVDs, take your pick from season reviews of your club(s), your clubs greatest goals/matches, bloopers DVDs (ugh!) & generic greatest goals/games.

Dinner: watch generic 'sports' channel primarily concerned with football news(primarily PL related)

Evening: Watch football themed movie or watch your clubs official channel showing reserves highlights

Night time: recap internet news & arguments

Bedtime: retire to bed with a choice football book/novel of either a harrowing footballers autobiography or a piece on some team/place/time period.

Easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

villas intertoto adventure kicks off in 3 weeks

also, theres plenty of domestic football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

How about watching your domestic league?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

You can still have a football lifestyle without actually watching live football:

you have no idea how moronic that statement is, do you?

this thread sums up what is wrong with Irish sport and its 'fans'.

Careful Des you mightn't want to upset these people who have shed blood,sweat and tears for their team from their barstool/couch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well Liverpool and Hull pre-season starts on Monday and United are back on Wednesday so there'll be something to talk about from them I'm sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

:rolleyes: get over yourself grumpy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Intertoto kicks off soon.

If I had live eL action I would be chuffed.

Other than that I might get a full week's sleep for a change :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

I completely agree. These so-called 'fans' just won't get it into their heads that being a real football fan is a duty, not a pleasure. Just because you hand over your money and your leisure time doesn't mean you have a god-given right to be entertained, or even comfortable. Get rained on. Stand in mud. Watch fat cloggers sweat last night's beer into polyester jerseys. That's what being a fan is about.

People who abandon that just for the pleasure of comfortable surroundings and good football played by a team they chose to support rather then inherited through a cruel accident of geogrpahy - well, they make me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

You sound stadium-proud.

Dalymount Park is not Old Trafford or whatever temple of corporate performance you honour with your presence, or ogle on the box, but, despite the odd buglia in the spaces left empty by the likes of yourself, it is not a cabbage patch either. A little perspective on your part would go a long way, if not as far as you have to go to see a game.

If someone is having a panic attack at the lack of football because 'the season' in another country has yet to start, they could do worse than going along to a real game and smelling the grass.

Next time you're sitting on your barstool whining about the lack of depth in the Irish national team, after we've been beaten by a team of accountants and hospital porters with nostalgic hairstyles, have a think back to that post of yours and join up some dots for yourself.

Ye Scruff you know what you could do?Actually leave your gaffe and watch some live football that isn't on t.v.!That's a great idea innit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

gogglebok wrote: »
    I completely agree. These so-called 'fans' just won't get it into their heads that being a real football fan is a duty, not a pleasure. Just because you hand over your money and your leisure time doesn't mean you have a god-given right to be entertained, or even comfortable. Get rained on. Stand in mud. Watch fat cloggers sweat last night's beer into polyester jerseys. That's what being a fan is about.

People who abandon that just for the pleasure of comfortable surroundings and good football played by a team they chose to support rather then inherited through a cruel accident of geogrpahy - well, they make me sick.

I never knew being a fan of FOOTBALL meant the same as being a fan of a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

well normally i would just play football but cant at the moment,oh and once again for all you el martyrs that post without reading the comments in a thread i have an interest in el but im in a different country so cant really watch it.

hunter164 wrote: »
    Ye Scruff you know what you could do?Actually leave your gaffe and watch some live football that isn't on t.v.!That's a great idea innit?

yea good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Eircom League all the way! Can't beat live football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Other than that I might get a full week's sleep for a change :eek:

Well that would be nice.
    Unfortunately Wimbledon's started again (the tennis, not the football club!). Obviously that can't be missed!

No, no-one can.

Anyone who calls themselves football fans; without ever going to an actual game is a reality tv watching idiot.

OMG, that foreign person who I have never met, and who couldnt give a shíte about me, might be playing for some other foreign team tomorrow. Lets discuss it for months.

Keep it Réal.

lol.
    I never knew being a fan of FOOTBALL meant the same as being a fan of a club.
    Being a fan of football means more than watching it on TV, that is a fact.
    blue-army wrote: »
    Eircom League all the way! Can't beat live football.

No. I pity the idiots who slave to arseholes who don't care about them. Paid by entertainmet compainies, to entertain them.

Lets all sing Johnny Cash. I fell in to a burning ring of fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I laughed! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I'm looking forward to a few weeks break of not having top-level football on. And I wont be following every football tansfer rumour either. I will keep an eye out for confirmed signings though. As Christy Moore once sang, everyone deserves a break. Its good for the mind. And dont worry, the major leagues will all be starting up again sooner than we think and with pre-season training due to start, the break will go in quick enough so junkies will get their fix then. There is always a post-tournament void feeling.

I didnt read all this thread but I can sense from the last few posts that the usual issues of league of Ireland football have propped as supposedly being the only real soccer or something like that.

I have no problem with people going to league of Ireland matches, indeed I go from time to time. I follow it as well from the 'sidelines' as it were, on TV and what have you, although not compulsively, but I do know off-hand that Bohs are doing well this year, as are Cork and Derry, but Drogheda arent nor are Shamrock Rovers, and Galway are propping up the table. I havent been to a game this season though. I do plan to go to some. I went to 5 or so last season, the same the year before. So, does not going make me or anyone else less of a football follower? No.

I think people should go though, even if just once a season. There is no necessity to go in week in and week out and it doesnt make anyone less of an expert. I'd guess that Johnny Giles may not be at a league of ireland match all year. But it doesnt make him any less of an expert or less of a football follower and even if he had a season ticket at Pat's, going to each match wouldnt make him any more of a football follower or an expert. The same logic applies to everyone else, analyst or not.

I think it does help if you have played the sport at a reasonable level. That can help you know more about what actually happens on the pitch. But even players or ex-players are not all experts, nor football followers per se, and I would not be surprised if many of the so called armchair or bar-stoolers would actually be better at analysing and having knowledge of whats going on than many of players or ex-players or indeed many of the so-called die-hard fans that go to league of Ireland matches.

Either way, enjoy your football ...

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Weather is pretty decent at the moment (well, in England anyway).

So grab a ball, mates, randomers and head to the nearest park or pitch for a game this weekend.

Playing footie outdoors in the summer in good weather, I love it. Truly, is their anything better? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Plugging I know but Useful to know all the same for some punters. Should fit in nicely beside the Live repeat of the Under 7 Tag rugby in Bettystown and the Under 11 Scratch Cup from Corballis for left hand players.:D
    Live Soccer On Setanta Sports this July
    All Setanta Ireland Unless Stated
    Sun July 6th Eircom League St Pats v Finn Harps
    Tue July 8th Friendly Lucerne FC v Man City
    Thur july 10th Friendly FC Basel v Man City
    Sat July 12th Vodafone Challenge Teams TBC (SS1)
    Sun July 13th Eircom League Teams TBC
    Sat July 19th Vodafone Challenge KAIZER CHIEFS v MANCHESTER UTD (SS1)
    Sat July 19th Inter Toto Cup Aston Villa game
    Sun July 20th Friendly Sporting Lisbon v Sunderland
    Tues July 22nd Vodafone Challenge Orlando Pirates v Man Utd (SS1)
    Tue July 22nd Friendly Middlesbrough v Celtic (SS1)
    Wed July 23rd Friendly Vitoria v Sunderland
    Thur July 24th Friendly Hibernian v Barcelona
    Thur July 24th Friendly Cardiff City v Celtic (SS1)
    Sat July 26th Vodafone Challenge Manchester Utd v TBC
    Sat July 26th Inter Toto Cup Aston Villa game
    Sat July 26th Friendly Dundee v Barcelona
    Sun July 27th Eircom League Cork City v St Pats
    Mon July 28th Friendly Cobh Ramblers v Sunderland
    Mon July 28th Friendly Norwich City v Tottenham (SS1)
    Wed July 30th Friendly Nottingham Forest v Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Hold on a sec there.

DesF just agreed with OhNoYouDidn't and the internet didn't explode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Wake up: listen to Football Podcast

Breakfast: read football news in paper

Shower (shower radio to listen to football optional)

Internet: read football news, club(s) news, point out strangers arguments flaws

Lunch: read a choice football magazine (442)

Afternoon: Lounge on the couch watching football DVDs, take your pick from season reviews of your club(s), your clubs greatest goals/matches, bloopers DVDs (ugh!) & generic greatest goals/games.

Dinner: watch generic 'sports' channel primarily concerned with football news(primarily PL related)

Evening: Watch football themed movie or watch your clubs official channel showing reserves highlights

Night time: recap internet news & arguments

Bedtime: retire to bed with a choice football book/novel of either a harrowing footballers autobiography or a piece on some team/place/time period.

Easy!

I was planning on getting to know my girlfriend again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Sure if you don't like Eircom League and want to see a real game you can always watch the GAA as I'm sure many of the barstoolers in the Dublin area will be making there way (late as usual) to Croker on Sunday.

There that's 2 forums upset with one statement.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

"football fix" me hole.

Shankly used to organise games with the local kids in the park during Liverpools off season :) now thats a football junkie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

well normally i would just play football but cant at the moment,oh and once again for all you el martyrs that post without reading the comments in a thread i have an interest in el but im in a different country so cant really watch it.

Fair enough but why did you use the plural form and say what will we do?
    So you don't really have an interest in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

First United pre-season friendly is on the 12th of July. The weeks after the Euros always have ****loads of transfer activity, so lots to talk about. We'll be fine :)

patmac wrote: »
    Sure if you don't like Eircom League and want to see a real game you can always watch the GAA as I'm sure many of the barstoolers in the Dublin area will be making there way (late as usual) to Croker on Sunday.

There that's 2 forums upset with one statement.:D

Sorry, this forum is for civilised games only. Please take your ads for bigoted thuggery and its drug addled supporters to the appropriate forum.

Sure a bit of the GAA will keep ya amused until the Pream starts again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Sorry, this forum is for civilised games only. Please take your ads for bigoted thuggery and its drug addled supporters to the appropriate forum.

LOL

hunter164 wrote: »
    Sure a bit of the GAA will keep ya amused until the Pream starts again.

Amused is right. 30 creatine fillled boggers knocking lumps out of each other in a tactically void 'game' in front of dwindling crowds is my idea of hilarity alright. :D

The Aussie games are back in the winter. Fingers crossed they kill one of the Gah monkeys this time..... :p

Hold on a sec there.

DesF just agreed with OhNoYouDidn't and the internet didn't explode!

to be fair, myself and Dessie agree on most things. Common themes of accord are disdain for the barstoolers and the bogballers.

Bumped into him in real life a few weeks ago....

bumped into him in real life a few weeks ago....

:eek:

What?

Amused is right. 30 creatine fillled boggers knocking lumps out of each other in a tactically void 'game' in front of dwindling crowds is my idea of hilarity alright. :D

The Aussie games are back in the winter. Fingers crossed they kill one of the Gah monkeys this time..... :p
    That's some support of your national games!:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement