Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MR2 Turbo

Options
  • 26-06-2008 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Thinking of an mr2 mk2 turbo as my next car. anyone got any advice/opinions on them? i heard they are pretty decent in performace terms, they are also quite cheap

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Gems of cars..

Don't really think ya can get much better for the price they sell it.

IN terms of everything..looks, performance..reliability..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Gems of cars..

Don't really think ya can get much better for the price they sell it.

IN terms of everything..looks, performance..reliability..

is it? Damn, i was allways wondering only about 1 thing, the engine is in the back, right? and very close to head. So is it not too noise to be driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It's not noisy at all actually..

The thought never even crossed my mind tbh..Sounds a bit different than a normal engine in the front but definitely not noisier!
    btw my experience of these is coming from my father owning nothing but them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

cracken little gems they are! my mate has on mk2 aswell and great fun to drive im tempted to ditch the celica for one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Turbos are a fun car but can be dangerous if not driven correctly, like any car really... If the tail goes out its hard to get back. Noise has never been a problem for me, i like to hear every every not from the engine makes though.

If i was buying a turbo i wouldn't budget myself too tightly though as some are knocking around which look like great deals but remember these engines are around 15 years old.

Do what i'm doing and drop a v6 into an mr2 or get over to www.mr2oc.co.uk, so much help to be had and read the buyers guide, its invaluable mate.

Amd if you do get a tubby come along to one of our mr2oc meets, next one is planned for the 1st sunday of September:cool::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Legend of a car. As the username suggests Ive got one aswell.

Jap Import mk2 turbo. Very very nice car to drive and Id agree with MOG7 on the get used to driving the rear wheel drive cars as you could get caught out on a roundabout in the wet if ur not careful. They are very powerful cars and can easily be upgraded.
    As always its a sports car so look after it properly and it will look after you.

Theres a mountain of knowledge out there about them on the web including www.mr2oc.com, www.imoc.co.uk.

Also if ur mechanically inclined (like myself) you can find the bgbs which are the toyota service manuals online aswell. Also theres the parts catalogue.

I dont know of any other car that has as much information on the web as this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tony71187

savage car, check insurance, i was considering one before but cudnt even get quoted.
    only other worry wud be can you put up witha 2 seater?
    otherwise realiable, good power with lots of potential

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Just spotted this thread. Not HiJacking but i'm thinking of importing one as well next year. Beauty of a car. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I like the MR2, best of luck with the V6 conversion MOG7, have been keeping an eye on your thread, keep us updated.

@ Clio V6 : Having just watched a TG review of the RWD mid engined 3.0 V6 Renault Sport Clio I was just wondering if it's one of those you have or if it's more of an aspirational username?? Absolutely gorgeous car and never even imagined there could be a mid-engined Clio with such animal performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

I sent this to Johnrd ihought Id add it here.

My advice is to check a few mr2s and dont buy the first one you see without seeing others. the first one may be one the one you ultimately buy but dont do so without seeing others!! I cant stress that enough!!!

Make sure you drive the car from cold and check whether its smooth. Dont boost the car until shes warmed up. The temp gauge should go up to about 1/4-less than 1/2 way before you go and let the throttle out.

This is a link to excelent info on buying an mr2.. theres 3 parts to it.
    http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t/mr2tfaq.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

If your going to buy an mr2 get the best spec you can get which is the

GT spec. (auto climate control, folding wing mirrors, fog lights which turn with the steering)

Also try for a T-bar rev3 turbo.

i had one for a while great car very comfy, fast lovely to drive but be warned they are very tail happy.

Advertisement